Uh Oh! I got a Boo Boo Challenge!

Options
Alright Challengers,
I'm going to pose a challenge that we all need to think about: What to do when we hurt a body part and need to exercise around it to strengthen it!
As most/some/a few of you know, I have been challenged with knee problems (I have chondromalacia patella and early stage arthritis in both knees... gel injections round one today!) so I've had to do exercises that will help strengthen the muscles around my knees in the hopes of easing the pain for the mundane parts of my life and having to give up a lot of the exercises that help make me strong (those dastardly burpees, squats, lunges, and even biking and running).

So, pick a body part/injury site/problem you've been having and want to research ways to help strengthen that area, then post the exercises here!

Here's some exercises that are good for the knees for the chondromalacia patella injury:
http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/knee-pain/chondromalacia-patella/stretching-exercises-chondramalacia-patella

Replies

• MadameMaverick
    MadameMaverick Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It is good to know if you have anterior or posterior pelvic tilt.

Anterior pelvic tilt can make your tummy and bum look bigger than they really are! For those who have anterior pelvic tilt, these are a few articles I found both humorous and believe they could be helpful.

Exercises: http://www.swolept.com/posts/fixing-anterior-pelvic-tilt-posture-tricks-to-make-your-butt-and-gut-smaller

Information: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/hips_dont_lie_fixing_your_force_couples

I'm on tonight you know my hips don't lie and I'm starting to feel it's right. All the attraction, the tension, can't you see baby this is perfection?
  • hippiefemme
    hippiefemme Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I get ganglion cysts on my wrists if I put too much stress on them so I have to modify certain exercises.

1) For push ups, I hold dumbbells so I can keep my wrists straight.
    2) I do forearm plank position instead of holding my weight on my palms.
    3) Whenever using any machine or any tool, I'm very carefully about proper form and keeping my wrists as straight as possible.

I also meet with a trainer twice a month, and I've let her know that I have to be careful with my wrists, and she takes that into consideration.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i have a troublesome disc in the low back. i used to be out of commission every few months or so until i found the right chiropractor. i dont have to be afraid of movement now, however i avoid any routines with a lot of jerks or twists. (i cant do zumba or kettle bells and heavy weights are out of the question)

i have been purposely targeting the muscles around that area when i do my weight training. there is a machine (sorry i dont know thw name) where you cross your arms over your chests and lean back to lift the weight. it is slow and steady and not too risky and stronger muscles around the injured disc ill help avoid injury, at least i hope so and have read so...