Are there any exercises you just won't do?

Options
2»

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    kelly:
    A big reason why I wanted to try crossfit was that I DO want to try to Oly lifts. I realy have zero problem with programming them like you've mentioned; like you said, once I'm more proficient I will prob be able to knock out a few in a row with light weights.

I like how you said: We spend a lot of time learning how to pace ourselves in our WODs and how to break up lifts and make up time in non-technical sections.

Pacing is tough for me because with conditioning I'm used to either strict intervals based on a clock (maybe prowler sprint for a certain distance followed by a specific rest repeated 3x if the rests are short or up to 10x if the rests are longer) OR just getting as much work done as possible in say a 20-30 min circuit. This whole "go as hard as you can for 7 minutes" thing is foreign to me. Invariable after a few minutes of rest I feel like I want to go again, which seems contrary to the point!

I would assume that another reason you wanted to try CrossFit was because you were unsatisfied in what you were doing before and/or you were looking to switch things up. With that in mind, you might be well served to let go what you are "used to" and realize that in trying something new you are going to have some trouble adjusting. That's normal and can even be part of the fun of self exploration. :smile:

Good point! I was feeling a bit burnt out from training for purely strength performance and struggling to get leaner, so those were the two reasons to switch things up a bit!

For me the battle to get leaner is 90% diet. Get that locked down and the results will come.
  • gweneddk
    gweneddk Posts: 183 Member
    Options

For me the battle to get leaner is 90% diet. Get that locked down and the results will come.

Oh, I agree. The problem is that when I was trying to increase strength for powerlifting (and that was my only goal at the gym) while also eating at a deficit/trying to lean out, I was a miserable b!tch. When my calories were at my lowest (around 1500/day) I was missing squats that had been easy a few weeks prior. So in order to maintain and increase strength, I stopped tracking calories and gained about 7 lbs. The problem isn't the training per se affecting weight loss, it's that I can't maintain that type of training in a deficit. I'm hoping that maintaining a deficit will be easier while doing crossfit training and maybe a couple skill-based strength sessions per week. So far it seems to be going ok, although I haven't really tried to drop calories much.
  • smarionette
    smarionette Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The only move I don't do/attempt right now are broad jumps. I ran into a NASTY shin splint problem that had me wondering if it wasn't really just stress fractures. As the other thing I do a lot of is distance running...you can see how shin splints that have me limping were not productive! Process of elimination put the broad jumps down as the culprit, so away they went and my shins have been happier since.

That's what I'm talking about!

As you get stronger give them a try again down the road. They don't give me any issues and I land them a bit softer than I used to, which I think helps quite a bit. Weight loss and stronger legs helped me with that quite a bit.

It is definitely something with how I land them. However racing season is not the time to iron out issues with my broad jump. That can wait till off-season...
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I did not mean for my post to be misunderstood in any way. The bottom line is to keep an open mind. If you walk in there with a laundry list of things you won't do, then you're not going to experience Crossfit the way it was mean to be experienced or practiced. I understand if there are previous conditions or injuries that need to be worked around, but it's always best to give things a try before writing them off.