Newbie - Where to Start? How to Begin?

Options
Hi there, I'd like to start walking at home everyday in addition to the walks I do outside. I like the idea of working these DVDs into my routine so when it gets too dark and cold in the mornings, I can just keep doing the DVDs. I also have a treadmill, but find it very boring. I have the 3 and 4 Mile Super Walk DVDs and I did the first mile, which I found challenging.

I like the idea of having variety, I don't see myself just doing the same DVD over and over.

What's the best way to start? Do you use DVDs or the "Walk TV" on her site?

I saw the July Challenge, how does that work? Do I check in every day? Thanks!

Replies

• spgebhart
    spgebhart Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I'm new too, so take this for what it's worth, but I have the "Walk Away the Pounds" DVD which has 1, 2, 3, & 4 mile walks. It also tells you about how long each walk takes. I use it if I don't want to go outside and I do whichever walks I have time for/feel like doing. All except the 4 mile also incorporate some resistance moves for your arms with either a stretchy band (came with the DVD) or hand weights, which I kind of like, makes it a little more interesting. One rainy Saturday I decided to do all of them, starting at the 4 mile and working down! My fitbit recorded as more like 8 miles than 10, probably because I have a short stride, but it was still a great work out and I was beat afterwards. That is what I like about that particular DVD, it can be anywhere from a 15 minute to a 3 hours work out, depending on what you feel like doing. I think I'm going to order another DVD just to get some more variety though.
  • zichab
    zichab Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle-You can really start anywhere your fitness level allows. Since I had not worked out at all for years, I started with Leslie's 1 mile Exercise TV videos and worked my way up to the Mega miles DVDs. I suspect everyone here has a "How I got Started with Leslie" story :smile: so I guess I would say "Just Start." :bigsmile:

The monthly challenge is also totally up to you. The way it works is that you decide how many miles you want to walk in the month and then track your miles. You can log in whenever you walk as they are your miles. All walking counts including Leslie's Walks, outside walks and your treadmill walks! Some people login every day and some don't. For example, I try to walk every other day, but I do not always accomplish this. So, I report my miles when I do them and hope that I make my goal at the end of the month. We all support each other and tend to know each other's goals after a few months. To begin, just go to the monthly Challenge, say HI and let us know your goal for the month and you have begun. It is easy and you can start anytime during the month that you find us.

Welcome, Join us and Walk Strong! :wink:
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    Thanks for the replies!

OK, I'm thinking about my goal! Heading over to the challenge, that sounds like fun!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle! Some great advice here. If you look on Amazon, there are a few DVDs that have a number of workouts on them ... My favorite is "Walk Away the Pounds - Fat Burning Miles." It is $9 for four different programs, 3 of which have been "goto" 30 minute workouts for me for 8 years! I have a big collection of the DVDs because i've used getting a new DVD as a reward for fitness goals and as gifts over the years. When you mix it up, even the old ones don't get old, and you'll have your favorites. Happy walking - it is the exercise for life!!!
  • AnnofB
    AnnofB Posts: 3,584 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle! Some great advice here. If you look on Amazon, there are a few DVDs that have a number of workouts on them ... My favorite is "Walk Away the Pounds - Fat Burning Miles." It is $9 for four different programs, 3 of which have been "goto" 30 minute workouts for me for 8 years! I have a big collection of the DVDs because i've used getting a new DVD as a reward for fitness goals and as gifts over the years. When you mix it up, even the old ones don't get old, and you'll have your favorites. Happy walking - it is the exercise for life!!!

"... rhe old ones don't get old." So true Dorothy! I still do the 4 Mile Super Challenge cause it's still my favorite. As long as you rotate your collection, you'll never get bored.
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    dorothytd & AnnofB, I really appreciate your recommendation and letting me know it's okay to have a bunch of DVDs! I like the idea that I'll have favorites and I can mix it up when I have my own collection! I enjoyed a walk outside today but I really want to walk before bed(!) so I think I'll try an easy 1 mile on YouTube.

I purchased these two to get started:
    Walk Away the Pounds Ultimate Collection
    Walk It Off in 30 Days

I appreciate the support, thanks!
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    dorothytd & AnnofB, I really appreciate your recommendation and letting me know it's okay to have a bunch of DVDs! I like the idea that I'll have favorites and I can mix it up when I have my own collection! I enjoyed a walk outside today but I really want to walk before bed(!) so I think I'll try an easy 1 mile on YouTube.

Walk It Off in 30 Days

That is a great start to your collection!! Happy walking!!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Here's some info on Leslie DVDs.....

Walk Away the Pounds (WATP) first came out on VHS. Now on DVD, these workouts are not chaptered. What that means is a 4 mile WATP DVD is approximately 1 hour long (4 x 15)....and is in 1 piece. If you want to make the workout shorter, you must use the fast forward button on the remote. Generally, WATP DVDs have quieter music.

Dorothy recommended Walk Away the Pounds - Fat Burning Miles....YES. This has a great assortment of workouts. 3 workouts are two milers and 1 workout is one mile......weights, kickboxing, circuit style, and intervals.

Walk At Home & Just Walk are newer (usually) chaptered DVDs. A 5 mile DVD is a great investment because you can make the workout shorter or longer by using the "skip" button on your remote. Newer DVDs feature better music (IMO). Some have features like "music only" .......your Walk it Off in 30 Days is a fun one.

DVD video clips & features are listed on some sites that sell DVDs.....try looking up a prospective purchase on totalfitnessdvds.com or collagevideo.com for more information.

Check your local library for videos.....many carry Leslie.
  • Healthymom_5
    Healthymom_5 Posts: 244 Member
    Options

Walk It Off in 30 Days

Two very good choices!!! You will have a great variety to work with there! Hope you enjoy! Have you tried any yet?
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    TeaBea, thank you so much for the info on past workouts.

Healthymom_5, I haven't tried those yet.

I am happy to say that I found one that I just LOVE! It's the Walk At Home-Walking Down Your Blood Sugar. For some reason, it isn't boring for me and it's just the right pace. I modify a few things, so there will continue to be challenge in the future. I only intended to use it to walk 1 mile, but the first mile was so fun and time passed quickly that I did the 2nd, which seemed even quicker! (?)

I have about 7 DVDs, but this is the one that is going to be my "go-to" DVD for August, I'm so excited!
  • MichelleMinus100
    Options
    I want to update this post for my own benefit and that of anyone else tracking themselves from the start.

For August, I joined the challenge (on another thread in this group) and have been so motivated by checking in every night before bed. So far, I've walked 72 miles this month (68 with Leslie and 4 outside)! WHAT!? That's practically miraculous! This has revolutionized my fitness and daily exercise! This is sustainable because it doesn't depend on the weather and I can even do it after dark!

I started doing the Walking Down Your Blood Sugar 2 Miles (it seems to go really fast for me) and I've tossed in maybe a few 3 milers from other DVDs. And the past two nights, my husband has joined me!

Two days ago I tried the 5 Mile Slim Down DVD and can't believe how much I love it! So the past couple days, I've been doing 5 miles instead of two! For a couple weeks, I've been walking in the morning AND before bed, I'm starting to see some faster weight loss. Very encouraging and I feel really motivated as the September Challenge starts in a few days. Eager to see where I land for August and will try to beat it in September!
  • bandit5125
    bandit5125 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    so excited for you!