Please help.. calorie advice needed.

Options
JennypegMarie
JennypegMarie Posts: 133 Member
Hiya ladies please can I ask for some advice.

My current weight is 206 lb I am on approx 16-1800 calories a day, I am feeling like this is enough but Im getting toldby my midwife and family this is not enough...

I am currently 28 wks pregnant so now im my last trimester. I feel I on enough but had a little scare today, I had to have an urgent growth scan. My bumps measuring under, but baby boys on target.

I cant excercise has much as I'd like to due to other health conditions, Im so worried about putting loads of weight on hence me controlling it diet wise. I dont class it has a diet just being careful.

Please give me your thoughts ladies, I'm really down about this now.

Thank you x

Replies

• papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    Not really sure. You might need more. Try aiming 1800-1900 calories. I'm 16 weeks and weigh 136lbs and aiming for 1700 a day now. You're probably eating just maintenance calories now. How much weight have you gained? If your gaining steadily, then you should be fine. But if you're losing or maintaining, maybe just up your calories a little.

edit: oh I've gained about 8lbs or so already, my goal is 25-30lb gain. What goal did your dr give you?
  • sunflower92630
    sunflower92630 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This website calculator was suggested by omeone else on this community board and it has really helped me to stay within my weight range for my height and weight so I really recommend checking it out and using the myfitness pal to track your food.
    This takes into account your pre-pregnancy weight and BMI so you stay in the acceptable ranges whether you are underweight, normal or overweight. So far its been pretty accurate for me as i was pre-pregancy 5' 3" 156.0 lns (Slightly overweight) BMI 27.6 and told to gain 15-25 pounds for this pregnancy
    Currently at 22 weeks and at 166.2 - 168.2 pounds (depends on scale) so its working! Check it out:

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/pregnancy_calorie_calculator.htm
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    Not really sure. You might need more. Try aiming 1800-1900 calories. I'm 16 weeks and weigh 136lbs and aiming for 1700 a day now. You're probably eating just maintenance calories now. How much weight have you gained? If your gaining steadily, then you should be fine. But if you're losing or maintaining, maybe just up your calories a little.

edit: oh I've gained about 8lbs or so already, my goal is 25-30lb gain. What goal did your dr give you?

Ive gained 9 lbs in total so far, lost 4lbs over this last week? So I think the 4 lb gain was water?
  • JennypegMarie
    Options

Dr hasn't gave me a guide but for someone of my stature is between 15-20lbs to gain.
  • JennypegMarie
    Options
    This website calculator was suggested by omeone else on this community board and it has really helped me to stay within my weight range for my height and weight so I really recommend checking it out and using the myfitness pal to track your food.
    This takes into account your pre-pregnancy weight and BMI so you stay in the acceptable ranges whether you are underweight, normal or overweight. So far its been pretty accurate for me as i was pre-pregancy 5' 3" 156.0 lns (Slightly overweight) BMI 27.6 and told to gain 15-25 pounds for this pregnancy
    Currently at 22 weeks and at 166.2 - 168.2 pounds (depends on scale) so its working! Check it out:

Thank you, I have done the calculator.
  • kalyrra
    kalyrra Posts: 672 Member
    Options

That's the calculator I give people when they're looking for calorie help. MFP is nice to track what you eat, etc... but when you're pregnant, their pre-set recommendations won't be accurate.

Make sure you drink lots of water, that will help with the water retention (even though it sucks to have to use the bathroom every 30 minutes!). Another thing is to watch your sodium. I notice the days that I have higher sodium, I'm likely to be an entire lb heavier the next morning. Combat that with decreased sodium intake, increased water intake, and eat things like cantaloupe and watermelon for your sweet cravings.

Based on my own BMI pre-pregnancy, I was just barely into the obese category and was told to keep my weight gain around 15 lbs. I lost 18 lbs in the 1st Tri due to morning sickness, but in the last month I've gained 10 of those back.

It's not easy, especially when you're hungry all the time. Choosing the right foods to keep you feeling fuller helps. The days I eat multigrain Cheerios for breakfast, I'm starving less than 2 hrs later. But if I eat a slice of whole grain toast and 2 eggs then I'm good for longer!

Aim for higher protein, lower sugar and lower "pointless" carbs. It'll help the weight gain, and will keep you from starving as often! (Now if I could only take my own advice :laugh: )
  • JennypegMarie
    Options

That's the calculator I give people when they're looking for calorie help. MFP is nice to track what you eat, etc... but when you're pregnant, their pre-set recommendations won't be accurate.

Make sure you drink lots of water, that will help with the water retention (even though it sucks to have to use the bathroom every 30 minutes!). Another thing is to watch your sodium. I notice the days that I have higher sodium, I'm likely to be an entire lb heavier the next morning. Combat that with decreased sodium intake, increased water intake, and eat things like cantaloupe and watermelon for your sweet cravings.

Based on my own BMI pre-pregnancy, I was just barely into the obese category and was told to keep my weight gain around 15 lbs. I lost 18 lbs in the 1st Tri due to morning sickness, but in the last month I've gained 10 of those back.

It's not easy, especially when you're hungry all the time. Choosing the right foods to keep you feeling fuller helps. The days I eat multigrain Cheerios for breakfast, I'm starving less than 2 hrs later. But if I eat a slice of whole grain toast and 2 eggs then I'm good for longer!

Aim for higher protein, lower sugar and lower "pointless" carbs. It'll help the weight gain, and will keep you from starving as often! (Now if I could only take my own advice :laugh: )

Thank you, that's some good advice. I have decided to set to maintain level, its difficult to eat that much considering I've been so low for so long. I'm replacing the extra cals with fruit, and low fat dairy. - SO hopefully I won't gain huge amounts. Yes, Its easy to look to look out for other peeps and sometimes need the advice yourself. The great thing about MFP is advice is always there :)
  • dandelyon
    dandelyon Posts: 620 Member
    Options

Thank you, that's some good advice. I have decided to set to maintain level, its difficult to eat that much considering I've been so low for so long. I'm replacing the extra cals with fruit, and low fat dairy. - SO hopefully I won't gain huge amounts. Yes, Its easy to look to look out for other peeps and sometimes need the advice yourself. The great thing about MFP is advice is always there :)

Maintenance is a great goal, but eat more if you are hungry :) (BMR goes up during pregnancy!)