Supplements for Health

Options
RoseTears143
RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
Hey y'all!! Sorry I've been so absent. i hope everyone is doing well :) And welcome to all the new people!!! I wanted to share some information I learned in a nutrition class about supplementing for good health and maximizing thyroid function. I shared this as a post on my MFP page, but I'm not friends with everyone in the group, so I'm sharing it here as well for you guys.

For my thyroid peeps, some advice I can pass along that I learned about helping boost your thyroid function and hormone conversion. Keep in mind I'm not a doctor or a nutritionist, and netiher is my coach, but he knows his stuff and I'm passing along info :) :

Tyrosine is essential for converting T4 to T3. And supplementing with zinc and vitamin c help the tyrosine and help further convert from t3 to t2 and then to t1. The tyrosine would be taken in the morning because not only will it help with your thyroid hormones, but will help wake you up and keep you focused and alert all day. Zinc should be taken with breakfast and lunch (50-100mg ea), and vit C should be taken after lunch time (6-12mg/day).

Also, taking magnesium at night helps balance cortisol and settle you down for bed (400-1,000mg/day). Always use the chelated form of any metal nutrient to save stress on your stomach.

vitD3 - if you are deficient, take 20-30,000 IU/day for 2-3 weeks then drop to 10,000 IU/day. Otherwise just take 10,000 IU/day

Fish oil is essential to balance out the barage of omega 6's we get in our diets and to reduce inflamation in the body. Pay attention to the balance of EFA's to DHA's. As adults, we need higher amounts of the EFA's and not nearly as much DHA's (EFA's are for the body and DHA's are for the brain....which is why babies need so much DHA). If we take a supplement with too much DHA and too much fish oil, it actually becomes inflamatory! Look for something with higher EFA such as a split of 500mg EFA, 100mg DHA, and the remaining being fish oil. And take it BEFORE you eat your meal, that way you don't burp it up.

I think that almost wraps up the supplementation stuff

I didn't get dosage info in the class about how much tyrosine to take, but after doing some research I've read on a few apges that 500mg/day is a good dose to use.

Also, a few other good things to take are:

Selenium: 200-400mcg/day (to help with lowering antibodies)
Iodine: 6-50mg/day ******(this might not be for everyone, heed caution when supplementing with iodine as for some folks with hashi's it can cause a thyroid flare and tenderness in your little butterfly. Start small and go slow with this one.)
B3: 500mg twice a day
B2: 100mg twice a day
VitA: 25,000 IU/day (folks with AI disease have a problem converting beta carotene to VitA)

[For the B vitamins, I just take a good all around B complex so I get all of them since I'm deficient in B12 pretty severely.]

I don't take all of these yet, but am going to start adding in the rest as I already take D3 and fish oil and b complex...but I'm lacking on the rest. :)

Replies

• webweaverlady
    webweaverlady Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I already take some of the ones you mentioned but take the magnesium at lunch
    So I'll start taking that one at night - I'm a terrible sleeper so maybe taking it at night will help.

Thanks again!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I already take some of the ones you mentioned but take the magnesium at lunch
    So I'll start taking that one at night - I'm a terrible sleeper so maybe taking it at night will help.

Thanks again!

you are so very welcome :) Post back after a week or so and let us know how switching to night helps your sleep!
  • flipleis
    flipleis Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for such a comprehensive list - though I did not see zinc on the list...I have heard that is good for thyroid as well? The question I have is what brands are considered best for these various supplements - as they are not all created equally and the key is absorption into the bloodstream and how best it can be utilized. Also, do dosages vary from person to person? Thanks again!
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Thanks for such a comprehensive list - though I did not see zinc on the list...I have heard that is good for thyroid as well? The question I have is what brands are considered best for these various supplements - as they are not all created equally and the key is absorption into the bloodstream and how best it can be utilized. Also, do dosages vary from person to person? Thanks again!

You are welcome :) ZInc is up there...
    Tyrosine is essential for converting T4 to T3. And supplementing with zinc and vitamin c help the tyrosine and help further convert from t3 to t2 and then to t1. The tyrosine would be taken in the morning because not only will it help with your thyroid hormones, but will help wake you up and keep you focused and alert all day. Zinc should be taken with breakfast and lunch (50-100mg ea), and vit C should be taken after lunch time (6-12mg/day).

:flowerforyou:

As for brands, let me do some research this weekend for you and I'll see what I can find. I can vouch for the brand my crossfit box owner also owns called Competitive Edge. His supplements are clean and high quality...and more affordable for the same name brand stuff that will charge twice as much for half the amount. He has Vit D3, Zinc, Magnesium, and Fish Oil.

Other than those 4, I can get info for other stuff together to recommend for options as well for everything else and other options for these 4 supplements.
  • flipleis
    flipleis Posts: 11
    Options
    [/quote]
    You are welcome :) ZInc is up there...
    [/quote]

Awesome...thanks! Don't know how I missed that (maybe my mind wanted to blank it out?) Anyway, after taking so many supplements and hearing that selenium is very important to boost the efficacy of iodine - I went out and bought brazil nuts. So I'm told if I eat 3 of them a day I will get the proper amount of selenium. (Sadly it's not one of my favorite nuts...) I had to go out and buy a bigger weekly pillbox to accommodate the growing amount of supplements I've been taking...but at least it's not filled with prescription meds! (And I'm sure there's an art to what to take and when...) You pointed a lot of that out, much appreciated. (I take many other things so wonder if there's a professional out there who can further identify any contra-indications or optimal combinations...or what type of specialty that would be...hmmmm - maybe a new field of health professional??? I can see the graph/chart he/she would make as I type...haha) Cheers.
  • RoseTears143
    Options
    Awesome...thanks! Don't know how I missed that (maybe my mind wanted to blank it out?) Anyway, after taking so many supplements and hearing that selenium is very important to boost the efficacy of iodine - I went out and bought brazil nuts. So I'm told if I eat 3 of them a day I will get the proper amount of selenium. (Sadly it's not one of my favorite nuts...) I had to go out and buy a bigger weekly pillbox to accommodate the growing amount of supplements I've been taking...but at least it's not filled with prescription meds! (And I'm sure there's an art to what to take and when...) You pointed a lot of that out, much appreciated. (I take many other things so wonder if there's a professional out there who can further identify any contra-indications or optimal combinations...or what type of specialty that would be...hmmmm - maybe a new field of health professional??? I can see the graph/chart he/she would make as I type...haha) Cheers.

haha yea. I'm sure there could be a benefit for a new type of professional to help people organize supplements for hashi patients :) Just be careful - there are tons of Hashi folks that think they need to take every supplement under the sun to feel well, and that simply is not the case. One of the things I don't like about a lot of the FB thyroid groups I'm a member of is most people are always "linking" every itch, scrath, ache, hour of fatigue, and rash to thyroid disease. Not everything is BECAUSE of thyroid disease, but there are a lot of things that can exist along side it and make that demarkation line hard to distinguish. And the other thing that drives me nuts is the amount of people that push supplements on others that are desperate to get well..and weird supplements too. So just be careful with what you decide to take, that's all I'm saying. :)

As for selenium, using the 3 brazil nuts per day idea won't always get you the exact amount of selenium you want. Not every nut will have the same amount in it. You have to take into account the time of year it was ahrvested/grown, where the nut came from, soil content, etc. It would be easier to just take the supplement to ensure you are getting the amount you are shooting for considering you don't like them much...in my opinion.

As for brands for supps, I found that GNC has really great ones for very reasonable prices for everything I mentioned in my original post here (their store brand). I actually went there this weekend to see what they had and ended up buying the rest of my stuff for my arsenal. And their triple strength fish oil +krill has fantastic ratios of EPA to DHA for it to not be inflammatory. I hope this helps!
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I would caution you on the D3. At those numbers you should definitely be testing blood levels of D3 regularly . Numbers you want are blogod levels in the 50's or so (I don't remember those units). Once it gets over 100 you are risking your health (heart rhythm problems, kidney stones). We found that 2000 IU per day and once a week an additional 50,000 IU at bedtime worked as maintenance while it required 120,000 as weekly dose for me to attain those levels. Other people, perhaps with less excess fat need less for same results.

I am too much a candidate for skin cancer to obtain my Vitamin December the natural way - in the sun.
  • allergictodiets
    allergictodiets Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    10000 IU is really a lot - I was recommended to take 2000 IU by an orthopedist, my GP suggested 1000 IU.