Time scale

Options
pauline329
pauline329 Posts: 21 Member
Hi
What do you think is a reasonable time to lose 3 stones?

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    If you're 42 lbs. overweight, then set your goal to 1 lb. per week. Once you have 20–25 lbs. left to lose, your loss will slow to .5 lb. per week. That's just the way the human body works.

So at least a year?

Read the Sexypants post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • pauline329
    Options
    I've been on this for just under two months and lost nearly 1 1/2 stones, I'm wondering if it's a bit quick?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    According to your diary you're undereating. Your deficit is already built into your calorie goal.

Please, read the Sexypants post. Food is fuel, and we should all be looking for the maximum number of calories at which we lose weight—never the minimum.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,543 Member
    Options
    I like to eat to my calorie goal but not always use the extra calories from exercise - is this okay?
  • pauline329
    Options
    I tend not to use my exercise calories, but maybe it doesn't matter if you do, I've burnt off lots today but it'd be like eating another meal if I had to eat them back, so I think it might be ok! :)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I like to eat to my calorie goal but not always use the extra calories from exercise - is this okay?
    Your MFP calorie goal has your deficit built in, so you must eat back at least a portion of your exercise calories. The burns & calorie counts are estimates, so some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories.

The Sexypants post is full of "how-to's": http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It took me 3 months to lose 2 stone. How much are you losing each week now? At the beginning, I lost weight really quickly but then it got a bit more normal. If you're still losing quite a lot now, you may need to increase your calories a little.
  • pauline329
    Options
    It varies from week to week, one week I lost 5lb the next 1lb and sometimes nothing at all, it's all very confusing!
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    It varies from week to week, one week I lost 5lb the next 1lb and sometimes nothing at all, it's all very confusing!
    Perfectly normal. Weight loss is not linear—so take photos & measurements, too.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    You seem to have hundreds of calories left every day - your goal is the level you are supposed to be eating at not undercutting.
    I tend not to use my exercise calories, but maybe it doesn't matter if you do,
    It does matter - it's the way this tool is designed to be used. Big deficits, lots of exercise and poor protein intake is a really bad mix.

You will get away with huge deficits for a while but ask yourself what you will do if your weight loss stalls. Reduce your already dreadfully low intake even more?

It's not a race and big deficits are not sustainable or wise over an extended period.

Please have a read of this....
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets