I call BS

Options
Munani
Munani Posts: 1 Member
I just sweated my eyeballs out for an hour mowing my lawn (we have a cordless electric/very heavy push mower) and FitBit records only 15 minutes of activity?!? What the heck do you call the rest of that hour? Meditation? This is REALLY disappointing.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    The FitBit is a step counter. The only determination it has as to effort of work is how quickly the steps are taken.
  • lcarls71
    lcarls71 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Nutmegoreo is correct on this one. Active minutes is determined by how quickly steps are taken. I tend to not pay much attention to that block on my dashboard as my steps are more important to me.

Lynnette
  • shelllee925
    shelllee925 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For Fitbit to take all of the activity into account, you'd have to manually log it. Tell Fitbit when you started mowing and for how long you mowed. Then it'll count it all.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    My active minutes are often lower in the iOS app than at Fitbit.com.

The only way to assess the accuracy is to eat back your adjustments for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress. But if your tracker is defective, Fitbit will replace it.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    For Fitbit to take all of the activity into account, you'd have to manually log it. Tell Fitbit when you started mowing and for how long you mowed. Then it'll count it all.

This. I manually add a lot of stuff, weeding in my garden, folding laundry etc. I don't move that much, but am still quite active.
    I think mowing is under activities.
  • Cinflo58
    Cinflo58 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Don't worry, you got a good aerobic work out. Fittie only counts steps and you have to be moving at a walking pace. Don't hate the fitbit! I love mine
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I just sweated my eyeballs out for an hour mowing my lawn (we have a cordless electric/very heavy push mower) and FitBit records only 15 minutes of activity?!? What the heck do you call the rest of that hour? Meditation? This is REALLY disappointing.

Log it. I am not sure whether mowing would be considered "very active" or not. It depends on the calorie burn per minute. by the way, I hate how fitbit calls them "active minutes" when it is only referring to the "very active minutes" which are intended to be *vigorous exercise*. A lot of aerobic exercise actually is considered "moderately active" and fitbit has a category for moderately active minutes--they are just not counted as "active". The standard Fitbit uses is that it needs to burn 6 times your resting rate to see very active minutes. Well, on it's own, it will under credit you for any exertion from pushing the mower. Fitbit does over credit walking for a lot of people, by their 6 MET standard you need to walk 4.5 mph on flat ground to earn that many METS. I see Very active minutes around 4mph which is actually classed as moderate activity not vigorous activity. Gardening is usually classes as moderate activity as well. Cleaning can be light or moderate (sometimes vigorous) depending on the job. Fitbit's activity database (and probably MFP though it tends to be more generous) are based on MET values so logging the activity will put it in the correct intensity level (on average for that activity).

Fitbit or MFP will figure out the calorie burn if you log it. But in case you are interested for comparison, here is a MET chart : sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/ , looking under lawn and garden. Mowing is often "moderate" activity. They do credit 6 METS for a hand mower, the other options for push mowing vary from 4.5-5.5 METS.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What kind of FitBit do you have and where do you wear it? One of my biggest disappointing aha moments when I first got my Flex was to realize that because I wore it on my wrist, when I was pushing my kids in a double stroller (which was my main form of exercise at the time), it didn't track the steps accurately because my arms weren't swinging. Same thing at the grocery store and mowing the lawn.

I now use the bigger band and put it around my ankle when I'm doing something which is step based but doesn't really move my arms.
  • Kel1677
    Kel1677 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I wear mine on my ankle too. I' m a cook so my hands are always in water. I walk a lot carrying stuff. Works for me :)
  • emmaxbon
    emmaxbon Posts: 123 Member
    Options

What kind of FitBit do you have and where do you wear it? One of my biggest disappointing aha moments when I first got my Flex was to realize that because I wore it on my wrist, when I was pushing my kids in a double stroller (which was my main form of exercise at the time), it didn't track the steps accurately because my arms weren't swinging. Same thing at the grocery store and mowing the lawn.

I now use the bigger band and put it around my ankle when I'm doing something which is step based but doesn't really move my arms.

I have a flex and so far it has been accurate in measuring my steps when I am out with the buggy. And I just keep it on my wrist.
  • jgoulet003
    jgoulet003 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ive also noticed on mine it would back track. If I'm at the gym it'll say I exceeded my 30 active minutes. Then I move machine and look back and it's at 10. Sometimes you have to actually look at the log to see that it registered all that time as active.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    It's good to get to know your device and it's limitations. I love my Fitbit (I have the One) but know that it doesn't track certain activities correctly. I invested in a HRM as well, and use double devices for many workouts ... it is very interesting to compare the stats. I did wear my HRM a couple times for mowing the lawn. I do have a power mower, so it isn't as much of a workout ... and while I did feel like my heart was pounding and I was sweating up a storm (maybe more from the heat than from the workout) I didn't get my heart rate up or burn as much as I might have thought.

I do fear my Fitbit overestimates a bit for my elliptical and Zumba, so when I don't get credit for other activities (bike, weights, etc) I rarely input it, as I'm hoping it evens out. I don't care so much about the active minutes, as long as I can still see at least a "moderate activity" yellow spike on my activity graph. :)
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Realized the that after out with my family walking around pike place for 5 hours and I only had 3000 steps that something was wrong.
    I was holding my daughter's hand, so no arm swinging like a normal gait. Live and learn...
    I also realize now pushing the shopping cart, etc....
  • SummerOBX9
    Options
    If I am pushing something (like a stroller or shopping cart), I put it in my pocket. I have the Flex. It use to slip into sleep mode in the grocery store all the time.
  • focused4health
    focused4health Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    MET

What is MET. Jargon? :noway:
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    MET

MET is an acronym for "Metabolic Equivalent for Task" or something like that. This is just a layperson explanation, Heybales may be able to offer a better explanation. It is basically referring to an estimate of how much oxygen you would use to perform an activity (or task). It is relative to your resting rate, so you would use 1 MET sitting still on a sofa. The more oxygen consumed during an activity, the higher the MET level. For example you might burn 3 METs walking 2.5 mph, 5 METs walking 4mph, or 8.3 METs running a 12 minute mile. What does that have to do with calorie burn? In a lab setting, calories burned figures are based on the oxygen used. So a 8.3 MET activity would burn 8.3 times as much as you would burn sitting still on the sofa. Heart rate monitors and activity trackers like Fitbits are actually estimating calorie burn by estimating the oxygen use first. I believe MET values usually come from lab tests also. Some links:
    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/glossary/g/MET.htm
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metabolic_equivalent

Fitbit says it bases the active minutes on the CDC standards for METs. Vigorous activity is at least 6 METs. According to the sportsmedicine.about link moderate exercise is an activity valued at 3-6 METs. There are charts you can use to look up MET values for all sorts of activities (including inactivity). One example:
    https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/corrected-mets

I noticed if I took 1 minute of my Mifflin BMR, and multiplied that by the duration of an activity, then multiplied that by the MET value for an activity the result is very similar to the calorie burn the Fitbit database would have credited me for that activity. But I think the base for METs is supposed to be your resting metabolism (RMR) rather than basal metabolism rate. I say that because sitting still is usually 1 MET, but sleeping is a little less than 1 MET, the link credits sleeping with .95 MET. Not a big difference though. (The difference between BMR and RMR--the two are often used interchangably. My understanding is BMR is resting for a certain amount of time in a dark room like if you were alseep. RMR isn't as strict, the room doesn't have to be dark, etc.) I am not sure the difference really matters much, other than if you use an estimate based on RMR it might credit slightly more calories burned than one starting with BMR.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

That may take care of the steps - but the calorie count is still way off - it has no idea you are pushing extra weight.
  • heybales
    Options
    MET

Just to add to great explanation from Kim.

It was a way to remove the weight from the equation for comparison purposes.

Kind of like BMI gave a figure that was only meant for population stats but was used for individuals incorrectly, METS was meant to be used to find activity that would allow you to reach those goals stated.
    Wasn't really meant for calorie burn, even though the METS was calculated from the measured calorie burn in studies and taking the weight out of the picture, so it could be applied to anyone.
    Which means of course you can work backwards and arrive at calorie burn too.
  • heybales
    Options
    I discovered like others wearing the HRM on some mowings (push model) it was equal to walking 4 mph with a 20lb backpack on to get my HR to the same level.

Now, I don't have a lawn smooth enough to allow that speed, though that probably explains the lose wheels, put pushing the 30 lb mower with much friction counts a lot.

And if I walk 4mph level with no backpack, my HR is barely even getting in to the exercise zone above 90.

So depending on fitness level, the mower and those strollers especially with hills could be a big deal.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    This is kind of funny to me because one of the first posts I made regarding my Fitbit Flex in late May/early June was the large amount of movement flex gave me for mowing my lawn with a push mower compared to my sHealth pedometer on my phone.

Curious that I get lots of movement from my flex when mowing while you don't. I do push/pull quite a bit and move around a lot because my yard is goofy.