going out to eat

Options
lawgirl0520
lawgirl0520 Posts: 15 Member
Just wondering how you all handle tracking your calories when you go out to eat? A lot of restaurants dont have their calorie or nutrition information, and if it is not a chain, they arent in the data base either. I try to eat small and stick to one serving, but I feel like I am not logging things accurately.

Thanks!

Replies

• MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I tend to add everything individually. I'll likely be off a little, so sometimes I'll add an additional 200 calories to the total.
  • mrsmitchell0510
    mrsmitchell0510 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If I know in advance where I am going to eat, I'll look up their menu, go ahead and decide what I'm going to eat when I get to the restaurant, and pre-log it in to my diary. This has helped me from making snap decisions at the table and has saved me many a calorie.
    As far as the restaurants that do not have nutrition info logged, sometimes all you can do is estimate. I tend to over-estimate though, because I know that they most likely cook it with more butter/cheese/oil/etc. than I might cook it with at home. It's tricky sometimes, but it can be done.
  • barb_nel619
    Options
    I create my own recipe based off what I think is in there and then add it that way. I scan items I have at my house, or at a store, and then create the item. It takes some time. I have also searched for a generic version. A different restaurant might have something similar.
  • sharimedina
    sharimedina Posts: 116
    Options
    All good advice! I do the same things. Important thing is try to make good choices, and don't skip the logging because you aren't sure, do an estimate and don't dwell on an every now and then thing. ;)