time between bites

Options
capecodgirl50
capecodgirl50 Posts: 111 Member
how can I slow down? I still tend to eat fast and then get that stuck feeling in my throat.

Replies

• Nrhodes8
    Nrhodes8 Posts: 1
    Options
    Try putting down your fork and watching the clock between bites. My surgeon recommended 1 bite per minute. When I do this I tend to chew my food much better because I feel silly waiting to take the next bite.
  • DJRonnieLINY
    DJRonnieLINY Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Chew longer.
  • Ksh1055
    Ksh1055 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    You are so close to goal that I think you're getting excited to reach it and that's why you could be eating so fast. Try and take it slower, you've done so great this far, just a little more time and WALA you're there.

When I do get this it helps me to massage lightly my throat and sternum area and it passes in a very short amount of time. Sometimes I just get up and take a short walk around the house, then go back and finish.
  • JxAAA
    JxAAA Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    My nutritionist recommended separating your plate into 4 quarters and eating each section in 5 minutes. If you're done before the 5 minutes put your plate down and wait to start on the next section until the 5 minutes are up. This helped me tremendously pre-op, the slower I ate the fuller I got on less quantities of food. I still do this most of the time.
  • Latse
    Latse Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If you are eating with others try asking a question or making a comment between each bite, create a conversation and be part of that conversation. It is rude to talk with your mouth full, so being part of a conversation should give you a longer pause between each bite.
    In addition to spacing out your bites, remember don't eat infront of the TV or computer, or while reading. It is too easy to over eat when distracted.
    Some people I know also used baby forks and spoons to help make each bite smaller to slow then down.