Diet confusion

Options
kathheen
kathheen Posts: 108 Member
Im confused about protein powders and if I should be taking them. Its weight im trying to lose I have around 16lbs to lose still but its not coming off easily to be honest! Im 41 weigh 153lbs though im only 5ft 2 and I mostly stick to eating no more than 1430 cals a day, my fat intake is around 30% protein is around 27% and the rest is carbs – I guess it will come out that I eat too many carbs. I eat well but enjoy snacks and find myself some days eating a 200 cal meal so I can have 200 cals of snacks without the guilt – not ideal I know but I am working on it! I exercise for an hour a day 5/6 days a week (3x crossfit and 2x running around 3-5 miles each run and 2 times cycling – around 15 miles each cycle). I do notice the difference in my shape and im definately getting stronger just not getting any lighter on the scales :( i have even thought of giving up crossfit to get to my target but i love it and i dont want to lose what i have built up already!

So should I be eating more protein and less carbs – nutrition confuses me and I try to read up on it but to be honest the internet has so many conflicting sites I just don’t know whats best! Hoping someone on here can help :)

Replies

• DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I do notice the difference in my shape and im definately getting stronger just not getting any lighter on the scales

First of all... you said it yourself - you ARE making progress. Don't give up! If there is one thing I learned from a few years of crossfit - the scale lies. The only weight that really matters is the weight you are putting on the barbell.

I suggest losing the scale - it lies anyways ;) Have you tried tracking your body fat %? I found sometimes even though the scale may have gone up a pound or 2, my body fat % dropped.

Secondly - I'm no expert, but it sounds to me that you are not eating enough to properly fuel your workouts. Have you calculated your TDEE and BMR? As far as the nutrition breakdown goes, you may find that increasing your fat intake may help you too (avocado, nuts, coconut oil, etc.).

I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I saw HUGE progress when I finally let go of the scale and upped my calories. Hope that helps a little!
  • kathheen
    Options
    Thanks for your reply. I just did my BMR/TDEE and its coming in at 2094 cals per day minus 20% which is 1675 cals per day. My worry is that do you not have to burn 3500 cals a week in order to lose just 1lb. I definately dont burn that in a week :(.
    I might be confusing myself and myfitnesspal is calculating that i will only lose 0.3lbs per week if i stick to that.
    Will try it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.
    Still not convinced as i have always thought you will only lose weight if you burn more calories than you take in.
    Maybe i need to read up on this :)
    Thanks for your help
  • DarkAngellEyes
    DarkAngellEyes Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I know its extremely hard to let go of the "standard" diet mentalities, but I'm just speaking from experience - your body WILL respond when you focus your nutrition around fueling your workouts. Case in point... I was at a plateau for MONTHS... couldnt lose a thing. Finally, fed up with it, I upped my calories to maintenance for a month and continued my strength workouts. Know what happend? I lost 5 lbs.

Oh - and ignore MFP's "you will lose xxx lbs per week". Everybody is different and will not fit into a "one size fits all" mold. I would rely more on the #s calculated specifically for you.

Try it for a month - eat more (I suggest your maintenance # on your workout days, and maybe the 1675 on your rest days) and see what happens. What do you have to lose?? (pun intended lol)
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Im confused about protein powders and if I should be taking them. Its weight im trying to lose I have around 16lbs to lose still but its not coming off easily to be honest! Im 41 weigh 153lbs though im only 5ft 2 and I mostly stick to eating no more than 1430 cals a day, my fat intake is around 30% protein is around 27% and the rest is carbs – I guess it will come out that I eat too many carbs. I eat well but enjoy snacks and find myself some days eating a 200 cal meal so I can have 200 cals of snacks without the guilt – not ideal I know but I am working on it! I exercise for an hour a day 5/6 days a week (3x crossfit and 2x running around 3-5 miles each run and 2 times cycling – around 15 miles each cycle). I do notice the difference in my shape and im definately getting stronger just not getting any lighter on the scales :( i have even thought of giving up crossfit to get to my target but i love it and i dont want to lose what i have built up already!

So should I be eating more protein and less carbs – nutrition confuses me and I try to read up on it but to be honest the internet has so many conflicting sites I just don’t know whats best! Hoping someone on here can help :)

This might sound counterintuitive, but I don't think you are eating enough.

Have you ever calculated TDEE? I plugged your numbers into this site:

http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/

And they use 3 different calculations. BMR is basal metabolic rate. This is the minimum amount of calories you need to sustain your life. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure. This is what you need to maintain your current weight.

For the first one, BMR is 1300, TDEE is 1979
    Second, BMR is 1420, TDEE is 2130.
    Third, BMR is 1497, TDEE is 2254 (I guessed 25% body fat because it is required for the calculation.

I eat at about a 10% deficit to my TDEE. For you that 1781 calories a day at the lowest TDEE number.

Something to think about. I know quite a few CF folks calculate their calorie intake this way then tweak it until they get the results they want.
  • kathheen
    Options
    I eat at about a 10% deficit to my TDEE. For you that 1781 calories a day at the lowest TDEE number.

Something to think about. I know quite a few CF folks calculate their calorie intake this way then tweak it until they get the results they want.
    [/quote]

Thankyou so much i did find these calculations on here so i did it and got the same as you although i was deducting 20% to try and lose more weight quicker :smile: Im going to try this for a month and see what happens.#
    My fear is i fill in the 400 cals with snacks instead but im going to try this and i will let you's know how it goes
    Thanks again
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    ^to clarify, the numbers I calculated are for YOU, not me.

I eat around 2600 calories a day :)

I just find it a lot easier than having to figure out how many CF calories I burned.
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I just calculated mine and my TDEE is 2237. (I'm 31, 5'9" and 165lb)

I am going to try to stick around 1900-2000/day for about a month and see what happens. I Crossfit 5-6 days a week and I find that if I want to hit my protein goals, I do have to eat more!

I don't really want to lose any more weight but I would like to get more lean.
  • FWMagicMike
    FWMagicMike Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I just calculated mine and my TDEE is 2237. (I'm 31, 5'9" and 165lb)

I am going to try to stick around 1900-2000/day for about a month and see what happens. I Crossfit 5-6 days a week and I find that if I want to hit my protein goals, I do have to eat more!

I don't really want to lose any more weight but I would like to get more lean.

if your goal is to get lean, up your calories. Your muscles NEED the energy. Crossfitting that much and not eating enough will put you in a plateau.