iPod issues

Options
DavidMartinez2
DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
My nano is dying.

Sometimes my volume buttons will work, sometimes they won't. Sometimes the volume will go all the way to max or off all on it's own. Additionally the power button has started to act up as well. I am sure the many hours marinating in sweat has not helped with it's longevity. I went looking for a new one and found that Apple has moved on from this design and the new one looks bigger.
I do not want to wear an arm band. Is there anything like the 6th gen nano or do I just need to go with a shuffle?

Replies

• SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I use a Shuffle. For $45 you really can't go wrong, and you can clip it anywhere and don't have to futz with a touch screen - just an on/off switch and 5 playback-related buttons (and the playlist button too but I never mess with it except for podcasts). I sweat like a pig and it has held up very well with that, as well as being frozen and rained on during a run.
  • PollyWolly98
    PollyWolly98 Posts: 112
    Options
    I got a 7th gen nano for Christmas and I was running with it in an armband that was super annoying. Just a week or so ago I bought a $5 case with a clip on the back of it. I clip it on the outside of my sports bra, so that the nano is between my shirt and bra (yeah, I know this isn't an option for you). It has been wonderful and I feel so much more free compared to the annoying armband. Definitely worth the $5!
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Clipping it to my shorts might be an option for the 7.

For the shuffle, how many hours of music does it hold? I would need 4+ hours to get through some of my races.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I have 4hrs and plenty of space left for more. It's 2gb so maybe 500 songs I think.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    The Shuffle is the way to go. Clip it to the back of my hat or the brim. Weighs about an ounce and is the size of a couple of small postage stamps.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Shuffle. I also have a Nano, but I only use my shuffle now.
  • Cooriander
    Cooriander Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    My experience with the shuffle is that is lasts for about 4 1/2 hours on continuous play, (it says 14 hours on the apple site not sure how! > scratching head < ), as they age, they degrade. On longer races, I have two shuffles, and that works well for me :bigsmile:
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I am using a shuffle that I bought years ago in high school -- it's got to be 6-7 years old by now. It's spent months (... to years...) at a time in a desk drawer unused during my running lulls. Still as reliable or more reliable than my iPhone for on-the-go tunes, and way lighter than basically anything else you'd use. You can get tons of songs on it, and I run 4+ hours on it during the week before recharging while updating my podcasts before my long runs, and even at that, the battery light is still green or just turning amber. I vote shuffle!
  • lockeddoor
    lockeddoor Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Love my Shuffle. Super light, clips to my shorts or shirt, and it can hold a LOT of music. Mine is nowhere near full and has over 4 hours of music. I can easily fit another 12 hours of music on it if I had the money for that many songs. Mine is 4 years old, and still going strong. No issues. The battery lasts forever, too (because there isn't a screen draining the battery).
  • bobbijodmb
    bobbijodmb Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    My nano is dying.

Sometimes my volume buttons will work, sometimes they won't. Sometimes the volume will go all the way to max or off all on it's own. Additionally the power button has started to act up as well. I am sure the many hours marinating in sweat has not helped with it's longevity. I went looking for a new one and found that Apple has moved on from this design and the new one looks bigger.
    I do not want to wear an arm band. Is there anything like the 6th gen nano or do I just need to go with a shuffle?

This happened to me and then one day I got caught in the rain and it completely died. I had it for like 4 years-- i took it to apple and they let me buy a replacement (same model) from them for $75. for me, it was the best solution because I loved my nano and the clip and I dont like the newer versions of either the shuffle or nano.