Appointment with endocrinologist tomorrow

Options
_L_A_
_L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
I have lost 14lbs (6.5kg) since I last saw him :D (3 months ago)

Am I a horrible person that I'm hoping to see a moment of panic on his face when he sees I've lost weight and he assumes I've been badly controlling my blood sugars and lost weight for that reason??? Obviously I'll let him know I've been well controlled and intentionally lost the weight through healthy eating and exercise :p

Wish me luck! He might change my insulin regime, currently on a small amount of Lantus every evening (due to my strange type of type 1 my pancreas is being destroyed very slowly so for now I don't need much insulin, it'll steadily increase over noone-knows-how-many-years) but I'm running slightly high sugars before dinner and before bed, so he might change it to 2 smaller injections of Lantus a day... but that's risky because I have lipoatrophy from insulin injections, so the more injections I have a day the higher the risk of lipoatrophy recurring!

Replies

• sassysarahmary
    sassysarahmary Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!
  • _L_A_
    Options

HBA1c is down on my last blood test (3 months ago) :D in the 3 months since though I've been really good with my lifestyle (for the most part) and with blood sugar control so this blood test today should be even better :

Endocrinologist was very happy with my last HBA1c and with my recordings on my log book :)

No changes made to my insulin regime! So relieved!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    That is great!

I'm assuming you are LADA / type 1.5? To be honest, I hate all the different names for basically the same thing with minor differences... anyway, as someone who has "double diabetes" (i.e. both type 1 and type 2 - it used to be called having type 1 and type 2 when I was diagnosed with both at first, before it became popular), it is tough to lose weight. The challenge comes mostly from having type 1, not from type 2.

If you are able to lose weight during the prolonged honeymoon stage, that is the best plan. It will become much harder to lose it when you get past the honeymoon stage, and for the rest of your life afterwards. It sounds like you are doing it right.
  • _L_A_
    Options
    Only just seen your reply, yes I am LADA, only just been confirmed that that is what it is about 8 months ago, for ages it was a debate whether I might have MODY, but now it's very likely LADA, I just tell people I have a latent type 1 diabetes, because let's face it that's what it is! If I say type 1 they ask if I have 4 injections a day, which I don't currently (although if I had a higher carb diet I would) and then I have to explain, although I end up having to explain to most people anyway!

Managing to lose weight ok at the moment (well none for the last month as I had my hen do and have been ill for 2-3 weeks including a hospital stay) :) 4 and a half years honeymoon so far! It could be another 6 months or another 10 years! Who knows!

Just got last week's HbA1c and it was 48mmol/mol (6.5%) :D
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Only just seen your reply, yes I am LADA, only just been confirmed that that is what it is about 8 months ago, for ages it was a debate whether I might have MODY, but now it's very likely LADA, I just tell people I have a latent type 1 diabetes, because let's face it that's what it is! If I say type 1 they ask if I have 4 injections a day, which I don't currently (although if I had a higher carb diet I would) and then I have to explain, although I end up having to explain to most people anyway!

Managing to lose weight ok at the moment (well none for the last month as I had my hen do and have been ill for 2-3 weeks including a hospital stay) :) 4 and a half years honeymoon so far! It could be another 6 months or another 10 years! Who knows!

Just got last week's HbA1c and it was 48mmol/mol (6.5%) :D
    I figured... like I said, take full advantage of the easier weight loss while you still can. When you get close to the end of your honeymoon and afterwards, you will find it is easy to gain lots of weight and difficult to get rid of it. Not impossible, but so difficult that it may as well be impossible some times.

It took me years to get to where I was able to figure out how to start losing weight, and I've run into some serious problems yet (I had a day where I had to keep feeding lows and consumed nearly 7,000 calories for just feeding lows - was as low as 20 at one point and just kept dropping without any boluses). Sure, I would love to be able to just eat less and exercise more to shed off fat like every other normal person. But I figured out that I can only do it slowly enough to adjust insulin sensitivity along the way.

I'm down to half the insulin I was taking prior to dieting, though part of that is just from eating less therefore less insulin. So my issues with type 2 are greatly improving. Though us type 1's will always take insulin, it is nice to get closer to what others are taking (I'm at 70-80 units each day now, so that is still higher than average).

For the first 18 years as a type 1, I gained weight (I was underweight at original diagnosis and because of treatment methods at the time, I doubled my weight in the first year and was fat then). I struggled to figure out how to lose that for years, and finally think I'm going to be able to slowly make progress. Today, it is easier to start out at a lower weight and treatment for type 1 has changed substantially so that weight gain should not be a big issue. But if you start out heavy after the honeymoon, it will be tough to lose, easier to maintain, and easiest to gain (as for everyone).