hate rows? express yourself here.

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i just thought i'd put this up here. might as well collect all the hate in one place.

have at it.

Replies

• PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Haha! :laugh: I was having a private whinge during my sets tonight as a matter o' fact. I just feel like as hard as it is when I'm doing it, it's not hitting the right places enough. My lower back feels it (not in a bad way), and my arms and shoulders are definitely targeted...I just feel like my bra line and lower should be more, I don't know, DOMS'd out or something. I even recorded myself to do a posture check, and I seem good to go. Then I experimented with the seated row machine and it seemed to hit things more how I picture.

"But ma, I don't wanna use machines." is what I whined before finishing up my sets and hopping on the elliptical.
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Oh YEAH!

I hate them! They make me feel weak as hell! I'm 8 weeks into stronglifts and made good progress, except for those f.... rows.
    They suck, they suck, they suck.

ahhh, that felt good :D
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    YESSS

My left elbow does a weird thing where it locks out if I row at the wrong angle (bent over, seated cable... doesn't matter which kind) which makes me afraid to do them because I don't want to break something or mess up my joint. Also I can never feel them except in my arms and between the shoulder blades...

Gah. I hate rows.
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I HATE ROWS.

I'm trying to not hate them. I deloaded back to 40 lbs the other night and forced myself to do all 5 sets. I wasn't struggling at all physically -- I just can't stand the goofy way I look doing them.

I'm just going to keep forcing myself. I might have to think of a punishment if I don't do rows.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    What are you talking about! I LOVE ROWS! =D

The pendlay rows or bent over rows won't hit your mid back *that* much , though. If you really hate 'em, do 1 arm DB rows or chest supported rows. Similar function. Easier range of motion. ;)

If you really wanna feel that "mid back", wide grip lat pulldowns are where it's at. And maybe t-bar rows depending on your grip.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to keep forcing myself. I might have to think of a punishment if I don't do rows.

More rows?
  • rps67
    rps67 Posts: 163 Member
    Options

More rows?

LOL -- that's actually what I thought of the other day. I almost did 10x5 as punishment for skipping before. Almost.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options

More rows?

Awesome! Then it will really make sure we do our 5x5 so we don't have to do more of them.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    haha ladies...I don't hate them...not my fav tho...

I do them because I know what the outcome is going to be...that back...yah you know the one that you show off with a backless dress...yah that one.

Think about it....*drools*
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Joining the hate club here. But I know how important they are. DAMN YOU ROWS! (shakes fists in air)
  • canadianlbs
    Options

More rows?

damn, i wish this forum had a ' like' feature.

so reassured to see so much hatred. i woke up afraid that i'd find this thread just sitting here all lame and empty, in that awful 'oh, so it must be just me' kind of way . . .

whoever all said they just don't feel like they're feeling it . . . +1. it really throws me off too. with everything else, you can tell which muscles you're using mostly, and that really helps me to feel like i'm in more or less the right movement groove. with rows, meh. it's just kind of a bundle of awkward-feeling nothing. and i have the same thing of feeling like it's my arms and shoulders doing the work, instead of my lats/upper back.

eta: oh yeah, and @PurringMyrrh . . . the only muscle fever i ever seem to get out of rows is in new and upsetting parts of my bum. i do know that doms is more likely to come from effort when the muscle is extended though. the rowing muscles contract instead of stretching so i guess it makes sense. . . . my head understands that, but it doesn't help me to feel any less jerked-around by the effects of the rows.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options

The pendlay rows or bent over rows won't hit your mid back *that* much , though. If you really hate 'em, do 1 arm DB rows or chest supported rows. Similar function. Easier range of motion. ;)

If you really wanna feel that "mid back", wide grip lat pulldowns are where it's at. And maybe t-bar rows depending on your grip.
    Chest supported rows = the machine where you sit backwards chair style with chest against the pad? (Seated row?)

Hmmm...is the t-bar the thing attatched to the floor that looks like a one sided barbell?
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Overhead and bench presses are more challenging to me than rows. I can get the rows done pretty fast, but I have to take a long enough break in between overhead or bench presses if I want to be able to do the next set.

Rows don't really bother me, I just concentrate on keeping my upper back parallel and pulling with my elbows, and before I know it another set is done.
  • elliej
    elliej Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Hate rows because it doesn't feel 'natual' yet and OHP which makes me feel weak :(
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    OHP which makes me feel weak :(

okay, well this might be childish. but even if it's just the baby bar, i feel so cool and neanderthal standing there with that thing hoisted up over my head like a caveman.

maybe i'm just warped by this footage i saw once of the 'international naked bike ride' day. naked men on a bike are funny enough to start with, but then when they got to the top of some bridge and this one wild bearded guy dismounts and presses his bike overhead and just stands there making primal noises, with all his bits hanging out in the wind . . . i must have laughed for two days.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options

Chest supported rows = the machine where you sit backwards chair style with chest against the pad? (Seated row?)

Hmmm...is the t-bar the thing attatched to the floor that looks like a one sided barbell?

Chest supported or incline rows are where you lie face down on an incline bench with a DB in each hand and row them up. Since your body is "supported" by the bench, it puts no stress on the lower back whatsoever and really allows you to isolate them lats (no momentum can be used there, either)

T-Bar rows are, yes, done with a barbell stuck to a corner or one of those land mines (the half barbell thing), or some gyms have a chest supported t-bar machine where you have different hadle positions over a bar that's not on a fixed path. I actually love that machine. :)

And I get terrible doms in my back if I get too much rowing volume in haha. Have you ever foam rolled the lats? &?*%$?*&?*$
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I love all the lifts... *shrug* They make me strong.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options

Chest supported or incline rows are where you lie face down on an incline bench with a DB in each hand and row them up. Since your body is "supported" by the bench, it puts no stress on the lower back whatsoever and really allows you to isolate them lats (no momentum can be used there, either)

T-Bar rows are, yes, done with a barbell stuck to a corner or one of those land mines (the half barbell thing), or some gyms have a chest supported t-bar machine where you have different hadle positions over a bar that's not on a fixed path. I actually love that machine. :)

And I get terrible doms in my back if I get too much rowing volume in haha. Have you ever foam rolled the lats? &?*%$?*&?*$

I love the wide grip lat pull downs. I do these as accessory work. And I think I'll be moving to the incline rows. Thank you!
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of them, either. I always do the first 3 reps of each set well, and then break form on the last two. Maybe I should suck it up and go back down on the weight.
  • _KitKat_
    _KitKat_ Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a fan till my front delts started popping out while doing them, now I enjoy them just for vanities sake.....as long as there is a mirror :drinker:

ETA

I reserve my hate for over head press :grumble: