Is Walking Going to be Enough?

Options
BrittanyBrines
BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
Hi Everyone, I have a question for all of you experts. I am expecting my 3rd child and am now 14 weeks pregnant. So far, I have gained 9 lbs. I was 115 before pregnancy and had a BFP of 15%. For the first 3 months I basically quit all exercise because I was exhausted and didn't feel well. I have started back up, but I am basically just walking a lot. I have been walking anywhere from 3-6 miles 3 times a week. What I wanted to know was, is that enough cardio to help curb my weight gain. I am eating healthy with a few "junk days" here and there (we eat clean, no processed stuff and no sugar unless it is a rare junk day). I seem to be gaining fast and want to slow it down a bit. Obviously, I don't want to be unhealthy for the baby, but do know from having my other two, that exercising helped a ton DURING pregnancy AND helped so much after (it really really helped the weight come off fast). I want this to happen again. It is harder having two littles ones now, but going for long walks makes it better. So my question is, is my walks (and strength training) enough to help, or should I be adding extra cardio in there as well? Thanks for any help!

Replies

• BrittanyBrines
    BrittanyBrines Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm anxious to hear what everyone has to say....so I'm posting this only to bump this back up. ;P
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I always tell people not to underestimate the benefits of walking. It's a great form of exercise and it's low impact. The nice thing about it too is that the entire family can join you. Honestly, I think it should be enough.

I'm 15 weeks and walking will be my main form of exercise to lose the baby weight. I will have to walk a 70lb dog in the middle of winter with an infant, so you can see the picture...

I found walking with a combination of dieting gave me excellent results. I was on my way to a six pack before I found out I was pregnant. LOL. This will be my goal for 2015.

You're even doing better than I am because you lift weights. Any movement is better than no movement. Listen to your body. If you want to add an extra challenge to your walk, go up some hills.
  • ramalem
    ramalem Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have been walking, doing strength training and pre-natal yoga since I found out I was pregnant, I'm 23 weeks now. My eating is ok, not the best but I've put on a fair amount of weight (17 lbs). I've decided that as long as I'm active, not eating terribly AND my Dr. isn't concerned I'm going to try and not worry about it. I feel good, and for me that's all that matters.

Probably doesn't help answer your question, but honestly you're doing more than a lot of people are so kudos!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I think walking is excellent exercise and awesome for stress relief. Go for it.

With that said you don't need to do any exercise to keep the weight off. I'm on limited physical activity, have sciatic nerve pain, and can barely do anything besides swim sometimes. I started in a normal weight range and have gained 20lbs at 34 weeks.
  • Love4fitnesslove4food2
    Love4fitnesslove4food2 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Your bf% starting so low is likely to cause more rapid weight gain than someone who started in the mid 20s. Walking is great exercise and you don't need to stress about doing more than your body can handle.
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 13 weeks pregnant & have gained 5-6lbs. I just started working out again by renting prenatal DVDs from the library. Also Denise Austin has a fun prenatal cardio video on YouTube. Walking should be enough cardio. Swimming is great too. I just started doing strength training again this past week, usually for 20mins once a week. I'm aiming to do cardio 2-3X week although I only worked out once last week.

My cousin has had 3 kids & gained more in the first trimester with each baby. I'm not sure if it's hormonal or not. As long as you feel healthy, that's all that matters.
  • katebrog
    katebrog Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I started out at 113lbs now around 131ish at 36w/3d. I gained pretty steadily throughout my pregnancy with the help of exercise and eating pretty healthy (with the sweet treats here and there for sure!). Walking is a great form of exercise and will definitely help your muscles stay engaged and will probably help curb your appetite. I would also incorporate some light strength training if you can. Listen to your body and don't push it!! As you continue father along in your pregnancy your tendons and ligaments near your pelvis will loose and stretch due to the hormone relaxin, this may make walking feel funny for you and you may experience slight hip flexor groin pain (at least I did anyway), so don't push it because you could end up injuring yourself in the long run.
  • papagal212
    papagal212 Posts: 93
    Options
    Wow I am in the same situation. 17wks pregnant with about 8-10lb gain, only form of exercise is walking at this point. I too have 2 little ones and it gets difficult to do dvds and such. I feel like I'm gaining ridiculously lately. Way wah
  • feedmedonuts
    feedmedonuts Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained anything yet (19 weeks preg but was 150lbs to begin with).....and pretty much all I've been doing is walking! I had started my first few weeks trying to do the stationary bike or elliptical but quickly gave that up due to excessive morning sickness, fatigue, and anything else makes me too winded/dizzy. I wear a HRM when I walk to make sure I'm in a good zone and if I'm on a treadmill I do incline intervals. As others said, don't underestimate the benefits of walking :flowerforyou: But if there's one thing I wish I hadn't stopped, it's weight training. I just haven't felt like doing it AT ALL and even though I haven't gained any weight per the scale my new rolls and cellulite say differently lol! If you can, incorporate a little strength training. Unfortunately I don't have that kind of willpower right now I'll have a lot of catching up to do :indifferent:
  • torryn1524
    Options
    at week 18 i had gained 7 lbs, started off in the 180s, weighed my self yesterday (am now 19 weeks) have now gained a total of 11 lbs..... i'm not thrilled i gained, 4 lbs in one week. i think maybe i need to not eat so much pasta/non healthy foods. Its also hard for me to walk around at first once i get up from a sitting position because of my back pain (had back pain before pregnancy sadly it has gotten worse), some days it better than others today not so much. But if im up and walking around for a little while my back feels better... physical therapy is helping, and pretty much any exercise makes me tired... i don't like it... I use to be able to exercise regularly with no breathing problems
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love walking for relaxation, QT w/ the family, etc. But (personally) I don't think it's that effective for cardiovascular health or calorie burn. I wore out my stationary bike during pregnancy. It was a great investment and gave me more "bang for the buck" than walking, i.e., I was able to burn more calories in the same amount of time. I am also 3 weeks postpartum and went out for my first jog yesterday...I was able to run a mile in 8:45 minutes without a lot of effort. I think I can attribute this to keeping my cardio up on the bike during pregnancy. Good luck!!!