Shy newbie runner

htimpaired
htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
I just started and ran my first race last weekend, and I think I'm hooked!
I would love to sign up for more races, but kinda feel weird signing up alone. I ran this last race with my BIL, but he's expecting a baby next month so I'm sure he's going to be too busy with that to run more races. I don't have other running friends that don't already have tons of other already established running friends. I am really shy and introverted, so just joining something (like my local running store's social runs) is really scary to me. It seems bitter sweet to go to a race alone, cross the finish line to no-one, and then leave...?

Replies

• Jayne19099
    Jayne19099 Posts: 149 Member
    Perhaps you could join the running group but focus more on the training aspects of it? If you were focusing on training at the group rather than on the people maybe your anxiety would be bit less? Do a couple of races on your own and see how you like it. Then as you go to more races you'll most likely meet people. Give yourself time meeting people then it will be more "organic" and you will find better running friends. Just remember, most runners are really nice people and happy that someone new has joined the sport! Best of luck and congrats on getting hooked on running :)
  • JenRunTriHappyGirl
    JenRunTriHappyGirl Posts: 521 Member
    I am not sure where you are from, but where I am there is a local track club. They have several different running groups from beginners to long distance kick butt runners. I know that it can be scary, but a large part of this MFP getting healthy process is trying new things.

I think you should go for it. After a couple of times, it won't be as scary and people will start to remember your name.

I promise that doing this as a group and finding people who have this hobby in common with you will make the experience so much more fun!

Good luck!
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    I was exactly where you are last year.
    I was SO intimidated to do races alone, but at some point I just told myself : ''You LOVE this, why would you miss on that fun just because you are alone?'' I just arrive, do a warm-up, go to the starting line, race, wait around a bit for results and awards if I placed, then go home. At first it felt weird but now it's fine! :)

I second the idea of joining a running group. A lot of local running stores do running clinics or free group runs. It could be a great way to meet some people running your speed that might be alone for races too!

On another note, I met my running-training-racing partner on here! :))
  • erinbeth85
    erinbeth85 Posts: 34
    I actually met a running friend here on MFP in one of the regional groups. She doesn't live too far from me, so we met up at a 5K that I'd convinced her to do, and we already have a couple other races scheduled together. She runs a bit faster than me, but every now and then we'll run together (she slows down for me lol), but even if we're not running the same pace, it's nice knowing that someone else I know is running the race and will meet me at the end. I know what you mean about it seeming weird to do a race by yourself, but I think I'd still do it even if I didn't have anyone to run with... as weird as it would be the first couple times. :-) Good luck!!