Mirrors - do you use em?

Options
Archon2
Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
When I pass other road bikers, and after the obligatory waves, I notice that very few other road cyclists bother with a mirror.
Anyone else here use a mirror when road riding? And what type if you do? And do you like the product?

For the past couple of years I've been using the "Take a Look" unit by Bike Peddler. I bought this after a couple of close passes by trucks -- and also after some idiots threw a bottle at me. I just want to know what is coming up behind if they are giving me enough clearance.

This is a small, inexpensive mirror with quality optics (glass) that clips to the side of your sunglasses. With this, I see better behind me than when I am using the side view mirrors in my car. Very clear view. Even though the mirror is small, because it is close to your eye, there is a large field of vision view over your shoulder with it. You can adjust the view since the mirror pivots in all directions, and fine tune by just moving your head a little bit this way or that. Vibration doesn't seem to affect this much as well.

Now I really dislike like the "Fred factor" look of it, but they are functionally so good that I feel almost blind the few road rides I have been on when I forgot them.

Replies

• KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I’ve tied mirrors in the past and I was never happy with them. The vibrations of riding make them difficult to use and in a lot of cases unusable all together. I am also a minimalist in that I don’t like a lot of things on my person or bike. If the function of a mirror worked better for me, I would consider using one.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I use the 3rd eye mirror that clips to your sunglasses. My wife uses the square mirror. Yes there is a dork factor but I wouldn't ride without it. You need to know who's behind you, car or cyclist. I can't tell you how many potholes I have avoided because I could instantly swerve to the left, knowing that someone was not sitting right there. Plus, with the many dozens (hundreds?) of other people that I have ridden with over the years, I have encountered VERY FEW who could look behind themselves without swerving or bobbling. And I have seen crashes because of exactly that.
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Yes a thousand times over. Was hit from behind leaving me in hospital for 2 weeks...not sure a mirror would have made the difference but I can not stand to ride without seeing what is coming ever since then. Hate the Fred factor and actual right now I am hating the mirror I have because it is not staying in place. Need to work on that.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've never tried a mirror but can see them being useful. Many of my friends have one that plugs into the end of the handle bar replacing the tape plug ut I'm not sure my bars are wide enough to make that practical for me :-)
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I use one that glues onto my helmet. Works well. The pivot gets loose about the time I need a new helmet. I ride a lot of narrow backroads. I especially check when I see a car coming. If there is a car behind, I move further over or slow down to avoid a tight pass.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    I use the Spintech bar-end mirror. Won't leave home without it. I've got flexibility issues, so it's very difficult fir me to look back over my shoulder to see who/what us behind me. (Working on that!)
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I think because back when I first started riding/racing, mirrors were not the norm (even hard shell helmets were just being introduced), I never used them. Instead, I became very adept at the look ahead/keep bike straight/while looking under arm method. and having a good ear. While it has worked for me, I would not recommend it. Unless you are racing, a mirror should not be a big deal. In fact, I may still wind up getting one of those bar end ones soon.
  • ihadabadidea
    ihadabadidea Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I bought a Recyclemirror a couple months ago. It took quite a bit of bending and poking for it to fit properly on my Giro Venti; I'm sure it would be almost drop in on a normal-sized helmet, Since I got it into place, I haven't had to touch it. The lens doesn't vibrate at all, and I can get get a good view of my surroundings with a quick glance and tilt of my head. Fredness is relative, since it means I have a Jolt Cola lid sticking out from my helmet.
  • Archon2
    Options
    I think because back when I first started riding/racing, mirrors were not the norm (even hard shell helmets were just being introduced), I never used them. Instead, I became very adept at the look ahead/keep bike straight/while looking under arm method. and having a good ear. While it has worked for me, I would not recommend it. Unless you are racing, a mirror should not be a big deal. In fact, I may still wind up getting one of those bar end ones soon.

Yeah, I agree about the value of listening. Usually I hear the vehicles coming a good ways off. I am never surprised by a motor vehicle coming up behind. This is another reason to avoid using in-ear headphones!

But being able to simply glance back as they approach without taking my vision completely off the front view is such a nice advantage. It is just like glancing in one of your rear mirrors when driving. Sure, your attention is partly focused on what is in the rear view. But you also are fully aware of what in in front of you too. And it is a relief to see the car or truck, or motorcycle, approaching and moving away from the shoulder in order to give you more room.

I usually only turn my head completely around when I am preparing to take a lane in order to make a turn. Even then, the mirror tells all...I don't think there is a blind spot with the one I use! But the habit of physically turning my head when switching lanes as a car driver persists for me on the bike nevertheless.
  • Archon2
    Options
    Yes a thousand times over. Was hit from behind leaving me in hospital for 2 weeks...not sure a mirror would have made the difference but I can not stand to ride without seeing what is coming ever since then. Hate the Fred factor and actual right now I am hating the mirror I have because it is not staying in place. Need to work on that.

Ouch! Sounds like you ended up OK in the long run? I'm interested in hearing more details should you want to write it up...
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I had a little mirror that I put on my sunglasses that was great. However, it fell off one day and I have never replaced it.
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have zero peripheral vision on my left side from an injury... I can't ever see what is coming up behind me, I feel blind, for that reason I only ride paths when I am alone. If I ride in a group I am fine to ride on the road, but having a complete blind spot over my left shoulder is scary... I need to find a good one, I will have to check some of these out.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    Double-checked; mine is a Sprintech, not Spintech
    Can't say enough good things; it small and unobtrusive, doesn't look out of place at all and not in the way, kind of a continuation of the drop bar. I only use it on the left, some folks use a pair.

Here it is at Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sprintech-Drop-Mirror-Black-Pair/dp/B00168K3IY/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1406595969&sr=1-1&keywords=sprintech+drop+bar+mirror
  • pepperpat64
    pepperpat64 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I use a side view bar-end mirror like this one (not sure if I have the same brand though):

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1031102_-1_401033__401033

Due to a neck injury it's difficult for me to turn my head far enough over my left shoulder to get a good street view, and my mirror is essential.
  • mogginsthemog
    mogginsthemog Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use a bar-end mirror. Since I have had a hip replacement, I always wear a helmet and the mirror lets me know what's behind. I'm trying to minimise the risk of injury in order not to end up in A&E!

N.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I feel very uncomfortable and vulnerable riding a bike without a mirror. Living on the edge of the London urban sprawl a lot of the roads I take to get out into the countryside are very busy - many also badly maintained with loads of pot holes and debris so keeping a straight course isn't always possible. Knowing when I can safely move out makes a huge difference. Sadly there's also a load of drivers who overtake leaving the bare minimum of space so it's much safer to see what’s coming up from behind rather than rely on occasional glances over the shoulder.

I use a Mirrycle mirror on my hybrid and it's the best one I've found for fit and clarity - I mount mine underslung (under the grip) to keep handlebar width down and to avoid having a mirror full of my elbow!

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/mirrycle/mtb-mirror-ec006119
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Glad you posted this. I'm in the market for a mirror.
  • Carolstone1959
    Carolstone1959 Posts: 40 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I too feel vulnerable without a mirror. Have a great one on the end of my flat bar Hardrock but am moving to a drop bar road bike and trying to decide which format I want. Have run across many cyclists who think they're very uncool but I drive a hybrid car. That sucker is QUIET! If you depend on hearing a hybrid come up behind you, forget it. I routinely scare the crap out of pedestrians, cyclists, etc.
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    No, not for me... 'Lifesave' shoulder checks ;)