A Pain in my Butt!!! GGRRRRR

Options
OnionMomma
OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
So, I tried some new stretches and now my butt hurts when I run. The day after, I could not take a step running without hobbling!

It's that tiny muscle right under your butt.

I took it easy last week and went out for an easy run this morning for about 20 mins or so. I can run, the muscle is a little sore.

Should I lay off a couple more days?

I am at the beginning of half training, figures right?!?!

I skipped my long run this past weekend (7 miles) I've ran that far, recently before hitting training, so not to much damage done.

I really think I'm going to do 2 shorts runs this week around 3 miles each and then try out my long run this weekend (8 miles).

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb, which may not be very good but what I do is this: If it does not cause me to change my speed and affect my gait I run through it.

Ice a couple times a day. Hope it settles down quick
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I have no help here. But what stretches did you do?
  • aldousmom
    aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I hate that. I have it, too, piriformis issues. You can *sort of* foam roll it, and if you use a sports chiropractor she/he can help, too. However, it doesn't impede my running AT ALL.

My chiro also suggests hot epsom salt baths. I do that about half the time b/c baths are YUCKY. but, it might help. Good luck!
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE pigeon pose. It is one of my favorite stretches and might be helpful to you here. I of course am not limber enough to do it with my chest upright but I do lean my head on my fists. It would definitely help. Remember not to overdo stretching either, that is the opposite of helpful!
  • lilyp91
    lilyp91 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes to the pigeon pose! Also, try rolling the tender area by sitting on a tennis ball after your run. When you roll around and find a particularly painful spot, lean into it and don't move until you feel it release. It may take a solid minute or two but you'll know the relief when you feel it.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am with the two people above me. You have to stretch it out. You'll know when you find the right hip stretch for it. Pigeon pose is good.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I have just googled Pigeon Pose. There is no way my body will bend into those shapes!!!!!