2014 MFP TourDeFrance Challenge-Results Thread

Options
TheBigYin
TheBigYin Posts: 5,686 Member
Results for the Second section of the Grand Tour Challenge (Le Tour de France) are as Follows:

first of all the Yellow Jersey / Maillot Jaune overall competition...

14771870321_cf95ec0715_o.jpg

Rider #311 - Jakes1971 Doing the Double, followin up from his victory in the Giro d'Italia challenge, once again he's topped the GC Standings with another 1,822.0km - with a frankly amazing distance of 1811.2km 49.84% of the pro's distance... and that's with the last two days on the binnacle list due to an unfortunate incident with a discarded plastic bag.

Second place goes to Rider #333 Veloman21, who rode 1710.4km including a 24hour race in the closing week which brought him very close to the top step of the podium - an amazing showing from a first-time rider in these challenges.

Third step on the podium goes to a very embarrased #309, TheBigYin courtesy of a late push in the final week, in an effort to try and help Team#1's effort in the team competition. Nowhere near the top two chaps, but happy to be mentioned in such illustrious company.

To put things in perspective, we set out to ride 3,656km beween a 9 person team - the PODIUM have managed 4823.7km between the three riders.

Secondly we come to the competition for the Sprinters Jersey / Maillot Vert

14771870521_bd81f5c0c6_o.jpg

Well, it's very much "business as usual" for the Sprinter's prize (yes, I know technically the Green Jersey is a "points" jersey, but that doesn't really translate to this challenge easily) with our resident flyer - Rider #303 - Cloggsy71 who only missed one ride in the entire tour, only dipped below 30+kph AVERAGE on three of the 21 stages, finished his tour actually "En Francais" just to be completely authentic, and ended up with what I find a slightly staggering overall average of 32.55kph - almost identical to his efforts in the Giro.

And Finally, the Polka Dot / Maillot a Pois King of the Mountains competition...

14588326070_f850578b8a_o.jpg

In an incredibly tight competition for the best climber, our newcomer, Rider #333 - veloman21 - who clocked up 18,839m of ascent, that's over 2.1 times the height of Everest from Sea Level. Speaking as someone who gets dropped when riding over a railway bridge, I find it frankly amazing! And, by something of a strange coincidence, was within 2m of the winning ascent from the Giro... Spooky. Mention should be made that our Yellow jersey was only just under 1500m behind and things may well have been closer had he not wrecked with 2 days to go. Another Honourable mention has to go to Rider #316 - phytogurl who posted by far the highest rate of ascent per km ridden - almost 2.5 times as much vertical ascent per km as the winner. That's steep!

Hopefully, the final results are now showing in the spreadsheet at

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1YhGj-P34GYYtd-IVhhnPQjBraKXfe2z3OFMBoOZO6AI/edit?usp=sharing

Oh - there's one more award, come to think of it...

It's largely a Ceremonial Award, and in this case its been "self awarded" as Fran appears to have already adopted it as her Avatar. but it's the Lanterne Rouge... awarded to the person who comes in last on the GC, but still managed to participate and finish the tour...

red-lantern.jpg

goes to Rider #308 - Frannybobs

I think that the Hills and Sunshine over in Yorkshire, caused some difficulties - but she managed to regroup and return to the challenge in the final week. And that pretty much summed up this whole challenge - to everyone who participated, whatever distances or speeds or ascents you clocked up - you're all hero's to me, and I've been very proud to ride with you all.

(I may add a little more analysis to this thread later, along with the results of the "Graham Watson" thread once It's been judged, and the "Red Dossard" when i've had a few more nominations (hint, hint!))

Replies

• Jakess1971
    Jakess1971 Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Le Tour has to be the best one yet, very much enjoyed it even if it did end rather abruptly for me and still haven't managed a complete tour, I was aiming for an average of 100km pd to cover 2100km over the 21 days and was on track right up to that accident, however I'm pretty happy with an 86km pd average over those days and it really pushed me to my current limits.

Well done to all those that entered, truly impressive stuff. Allan was like the terminator with his never say die riding, amazing stuff and I count myself lucky I just managed to keep hold of Yellow, the climbing was particularly impressive as was Phytogurls, thanks to Frannybobs for stepping in if just to give us a laugh with 'Frannybobs logged' :), awesome work again from Mark for running it, the godfather of MFP Cycle challenges and a well deserved podium finish too. Nice one to Cloggsys lightening speed too, no one to touch him on that one!

In fact we should all be very happy with what we achieved on this one, superb participation all round.

Looking forward to La Vuelta, however my focus has now switched from endurance to cycling for weight loss again so I'm unlikely to be hitting that kind of mileage again until next year ... he says :). I'll still enjoy playing a team role though, it's always fun.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Woop woop, wow reading that makes me think how brilliant everybody on this challenge was - what amazing distances, speeds and climbs and some real big hitters!

I was just pleased to get back in the game before it ended and proudly collect my Lantern Rouge !! However, my aim for La Vuelta, if there is such a challenge (which I would be happy to help run and take a bigger part if required) is to not be at the bottom and to complete without a big gap in the middle!

TBY - you, sir, are an absolute star for devising and running this...spreadsheets with pie charts no less :) Mmmm, pie.... Anyway I digress, actually what is best is the MANNER in which it is run, which is inclusively with FRIENDLY competitiveness and a real sense of encouragement for each and every person participating. This trickles down to us all and the camaraderie even cross-teams was brilliant. I really felt a part of it, however small.

Well done to all - those on the podium and everybody who took part!

Chapeau one and all! ,

Madamoiselle Lanterne Rouge

(hmmmm, does that sound a bit dodgy being Little Miss Red Light?!?!)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    it does sound a little "iffy" tbh...

and "really" the red lamp is supposed to be more like this...

Tail_Lamp.jpg

but I was a little lazy with my image googling earlier...

ETA: if you're serious about giving me a hand with the spreadsheet stuff for the Vuelta, that'd be great - maybe if I get the rostas organised, dossards and the initial build of the spreadsheet, then hand over the main "data entry" side of things to you... We'll discuss that outside of this thread though eh :wink:
  • composite
    composite Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well done guys. :)

Just realised I think I might have been pretty close in second for "vertical ascent". Well done phytogurl.
  • Frannybobs
    Frannybobs Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    it does sound a little "iffy" tbh...

and "really" the red lamp is supposed to be more like this...

Tail_Lamp.jpg

but I was a little lazy with my image googling earlier...

ETA: if you're serious about giving me a hand with the spreadsheet stuff for the Vuelta, that'd be great - maybe if I get the rostas organised, dossards and the initial build of the spreadsheet, then hand over the main "data entry" side of things to you... We'll discuss that outside of this thread though eh :wink:

Haha I quite like the original image - that looks like a mad red button to press in case of emergencies!

And yes - I was definitely serious about helping out for La Vuelta - beats doing actual work and I'd even log on at weekends to do it - I found it very enjoyable!!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Well done guys. :)

Just realised I think I might have been pretty close in second for "vertical ascent". Well done phytogurl.

If you check the spreadsheet, under the total ascent figure for each rider is the "VA figure" in small blue numbers :wink:

(the scary one was #334 - 78cm of ascent per Kilometer ridden... call it 1yard / mile - or - if it's an out and back ride a 1 in 880 gradient.)
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Awesome challenge. My first time doing one, and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole process, from the effort to put it on and maintain it, to the riders themselves and the comradely. I am looking forward to the next TDF challenge should there be one.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I did way better this time out then the Grio as I logged almost double the kilometers. Not hard considering I was on vacation sans bike for almost two weeks of the Giro! Thank you TBY for the spreadsheet and all the work! This is fun! What an amazing group of folks to 'ride' with across the world. And FrannyBob - you're awesome too for helping out.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Huge props to all those that participated out there! Feels fantastic to be competing with such a group of amazing folks, really makes one want to up their game. Congrats to the podium and jersey winners too! Massive efforts there. Wish I hadn't crashed out, but there's still the Vuelta. See y'all on the road!

And lastly... let's all raise a glass/pint/bottle to the man, the myth, the legend, to Mark, our manic organizer! Cheers!
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Great stuff everyone!! I'm pleased as punch to be in the Polka Dot jersey, very fetching if I say so myself ????

It's amazing that the 36 riders in the challenge rode a combined 26,600+ km which is akin to going from London to New York 5 times!!! Fantastic.

Everyone deserves a pat on the back ????
  • Cycle_pathic
    Cycle_pathic Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Great Job to all winners and finishers and thanks to The Big Yin for another great challenge.
  • phytogurl
    phytogurl Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Congrats to the jersey winners for going above and beyond and for TBY and the admin for orchestrating this wonderful challenge...Bravo!! :flowerforyou:

What a fantastic group of people that participated, and who put in such a humongous amount of effort...very inspiring and motivating for a first timer like me. I am pleased that I was able to contribute to the team and challenge, and cheers to all for a job well done!. :drinker:
  • kerrylikesbikes
    kerrylikesbikes Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    What a Tour...thanks to TBY for herding the cats. Enjoyed being pard of it! Congratulations to the podium!
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    Okay, after trawling through the nominations for our "Red Dossard" winner - it became clear that there was one name kept coming up.

Riding every day until the second rest day, before becoming benched with a leg injury, he still covered 977km and would have been pretty much nailed on for the third podium step... so I give you our "supercombatif" winner...

14588332730_3e3de1257a_o.jpg
    Dossard_337_supercombatif

Amazing riding - and such a shame you weren't able to complete the course my Friend.

Other notable examples mentioned in despatches were

#306 Sufferlandian - one of only 2 people who ride every day of the challenge, covered over 1000km in the process, while working 100 hours a week... amazing - I really don't know how you managed that - i've a very undemanding (time-wise) day job and an understanding boss (i.e. I'm self employed and said "to hell with it, i'm enjoying the summer this year") and all I had time for was eating, drinking, riding and falling asleep inbetween...

#321 Kerrylikesbikes - Had a disappointing time in "merry old" but still got back on her bike to help her team when she got back.

#302 KitTheRoadie - Smashed all his previous monthly records and went the extra mile for the challenge ... this was a great effort extending commuting miles and then some.

plus of course all the nominations for the three of us on the podium - though in fairness, I still think I got there purely due to Jaques injury ruling him out of the last 6 days...
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Good choice, well done Kaktus! :)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    And finally, the "Graham Watson" prize...

This prize was actually independently judged by a group of my fellow moderators on a photography forum, with the following results...

Third - This Effort From Kupe...
    Rest stop at the beach

f310ec611b9a0dfdabbe5a931f91023d_zps6a1af9cc.jpg

"if that's Winter, I'm moving home..."

Second - This "on the bike selfie" from KaktusJaque
    KJ Day 2
    1987427_orig.jpg

But the Winner overall, for the entire "body of work" posted, not just a single image goes to...

KitTheRoadie...
    #selfie from my lunchtime ride today...

14668668691_2512fa80cf.jpg
    This is where I grew up (allegedly)! :laugh:

14681629324_f57b73d012.jpg
    From today's ride....

14721503476_786bba2e17.jpg
    At the top of one of my local hills... Trying to get some ascent logged now the Pro's are in the mountains! :wink:

14466999017_071ac20a00_z.jpg

And (my own personal favourite, from the Yellow Bike Memories it conjures in me...)
    As I ambled around the lanes of Somerset last night (http://app.strava.com/activities/163366058) I came across this yellow bike. Now I know this has been a popular thing to do in Yorkshire; what with the TdF visiting but surely this chap must be lost?! He wasn't very talkative when I tried to ask him! :wink: :laugh:

14426062690_05b23c3bd2_z.jpg

Special Mentions went to

Jakes1971
    Angry clouds approaching!

10546561_1435944346686397_1408837510_n.jpg

and the rest day shot from Sufferlandrian
    This is what rest day looks like. Break 'em down and clean 'em up. :wink: :wink: Like the good bible says, "Cleanliness is next to roadliness." :laugh: :laugh:

2l8zw5e.jpg

while I was awarded a -100 for my Buffalo/Bison 'joke' :laugh:

Thanks everyone who contributed to the Photo Thread - it really is a joy to see some of the places you lot are riding, truly inspiring.
  • Jakess1971
    Options
    Love this side of the challenge, some wonderful shots and a great winning selfie, I'd have prob fallen off my bike if I had tried that shot :).
  • cowbellsandcoffee
    cowbellsandcoffee Posts: 2,975 Member
    Options
    Great job to all!
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for an enjoyable Tour and a special thanks to Mark (TBY) for his outstanding work in pushing, prodding, pulling the spreadsheet.
  • KaktusJaque
    KaktusJaque Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I wasn’t expecting the Red Dossard at all. I am humbled for sure. KitTheRoadie’s Lunchtime ride picture was my favorite, well deserved blue ribbon!