Fitbit calories

Options
dlady92
dlady92 Posts: 24 Member
Ok so I just bought a fitbit one and the fit bit site has given me less calories a day then this site so which should I follow?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Did you set the same goals? (I.e. lose 1 pound per week)
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    You have to be sure to use the same settings on both sites (check your height, current weight, age, etc., then go on to your goal, they all have to be the same). I found that when I got them both set up, I was typically within about 50 calories between the two sites, which honestly is probably equivalent to the uncertainty in data entry for food anyway.

Fitbit also recalculates your daily food "allowance" throughout the day, so the number will change! Don't get distracted by this. Essentially, Fitbit recalculates your energy need throughout the day based on your activity level over the past few hours. I usually find by the end of the day (just before bed) the two (MFP and Fitbit) are pretty much in agreement, but throughout the day, MFPs number is static while the Fitbit number changes a little based on what I've been doing.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Basically what they've all said. Mine's actually the opposite right now (I took a 3-mile walk this morning). Fitbit says 1904 calories, MFP says 1821. But yes, make sure your deficit and activity level are set the same.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Ok so I just bought a fitbit one and the fit bit site has given me less calories a day then this site so which should I follow?

Yes make sure your weight loss goals are the same on both (weekly rate of loss). The other thing, if your MFP allowance starts at 1200 calories than it is likely that your fitbit allowance will be less. The reason is, 1200 is MFP's minimum allowance. MFP deducts your requested deficit off what it expects you to burn at your stated activity level, but if that would put you below 1200 it just sets you for 1200 starting allowance with a smaller deficit (and slower rate of loss). Fitbit deducts the deficit off total calorie burn and has no minimum allowance. So it is likely for someone in this situation to have a lower allowance on Fitbit even if their settings otherwise match. This can be fixed by either reducing the deficit (if set to 2 pounds a week, try 1.5 pounds or 1 pound a week) or by raising your activity level (if set to sedentary try lightly active--only if you actually have the real life activity to support the higher level though).

But if it is your first day I would give it a day or so before changing the settings if you have already been using MFP.
  • dlady92
    dlady92 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • CoachJen71
    CoachJen71 Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I want to make sure I have my fitbit Flex set for 1lb per week, but have no idea where on the dashboard I am supposed to plug in "1lb per week." Help!
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    I want to make sure I have my fitbit Flex set for 1lb per week, but have no idea where on the dashboard I am supposed to plug in "1lb per week." Help!

It's on the Food Plan tile (shows a little plate). If you click on the little gear in the lower left of that box (you may need to hover over the lower left corner to see the gear) it will show you your current plan settings. Click on the little pencil icon to edit.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Hmm. No plate. Just tiles for steps, calories burned, distance, very active minutes, sleep, friends, top badges, and an invite to try Premium.

The Calories burned gear leads me to a box that says Daily Goal calories. Not sure what that ought to say.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    On the far left, there is a little box with lines in it ... if you click on it, you should get some additional "tile" options and the food plan tile should be there for you to add it, then play with the settings. You'll never get MFP and Fitbit to line up perfectly, but you should be able to get them close.
  • CoachJen71
    Options
    Aha! Thank you ladies for your help. :^D