New with some questions...

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
HI - I have just started, completed day 1 this week...

I did squats using the smith machine (all I had available and I now see NO ONE recommends it), but I loaded up 50lbs total and I completed all 5 sets without much difficulty.
Q: Should I have started with a higher weight?

For Bench Press I wasn't confident in what to do so I used the "Chest Press" Machine at 70lbs and again it wasn't too tough. I was able to rest only 30 seconds between sets.
Q: Is this comparable to using a bench and bar?

Barbell Rows - I didn't do these. To be honest I am new to lifting on my own and I wasn't 100% sure what these were so I used the "Seated Row" machine at 70lbs. Again only resting about 30 seconds between sets.
Q: Is this even close to a "barbell row"?

I am starting at 24hr fitness next week, this last week I was able to use the gym at my local rec center while my daughter was in a dance class. I was just trying to make the most of what I had available to me instead of spending 40 min doing cardio.

In general, how long does your workout take? Are you doing only the 5x5 program or adding more to it?
I felt like I whipped though it pretty quick, but maybe because it wasn't intense enough?
Admittedly, my legs are sore today (worked out Monday) but my upper body feels untouched.

Also to add, I have used weights before. I have taken a few classes(bodypump and bootcamps) crossfit a few times (really disliked the gym owners), and had a few personal trainer sessions over the years, but I really like lifting. I also have been on MFP for a few years now, left to have a baby a year ago and am ready to make some real changes. I have lost 21lbs since baby was born and am currently 10lbs away from pre baby weight. But I really want a new shape and not just a lower # on the scale.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

My thoughts:

1.) No, you should have started with the weight the program dictates to start with, even if it feels easy. It won't feel easy for long :)

2.) No, it is not comparable in my opinion. I used to use the machines at the gym and could move what I thought were impressive amounts of weight using those machines. Then I started this program, ditched the machines entirely (certain machines have a place and time, just not with my goals at the moment)... and a bench press using just the 45lb bar was HARD. It's not comparable because the machines are doing most of the stabilizing for you, whereas these lifts use all of your other muscle groups to stabilize and move the weight.

3.) Not really close, either, IMO. I used to use the barbell row machine as well. Barbell / Pendlay Rows as they are done in the Stronglifts program are more challenging (I've been at this for 12 weeks and still struggle with rows).

I am only doing the 5x5 program at this time. Workout A with all lifts plus the warmup sets before each lift takes me 70-80 minutes. Workout B with all lifts plus warmup sets takes me about 60 minutes. Now that I'm at heavier weights, I rest for a long time between sets. Your entire body should be sore after completing a workout :)

Try your next workout using only free weights and I can bet you'll be sore all over the next day... I know for the first few days when I started, I was so sore all over. :)
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Well answered by willrun...I will say that in the beginning, you may not feel like you need to do much to warm up or need much time in between doing sets, but that will change. I'm only in week 4 and I'm doing 2 sets of warmups and need the full 1-1/2 min between sets...my guess is soon I'll need a lot more time than that.

Good luck!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I have lost 21lbs since baby was born and am currently 10lbs away from pre baby weight. But I really want a new shape and not just a lower # on the scale.

nice going on the weight loss! about your questions: i'm pretty new to sl and had similar introduction to yours for a few months before: machines, isolation moves with dumbbells, higher reps/low weights, etc. i probably wouldn't have the nerve to say it about anyone else's workout, but since i started sl, machines are not 'real' lifting to me.

at least, they don't seem to be the way i was taught to use them. :tongue:
  • symba1130
    Options
    Thank You! I appreciate the input. I have stayed away from free weights because I dont feel like I know what I am doing and I dont want to hurt/embarrass myself. I guess confidence with this will come with time.
    I am also hoping for a one time session with a personal trainer when I sign up, so maybe they can assist me on form, etc.

Off to watch more videos so I can feel like I know my way around the free weights next week :-)
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Im going to contradict WillRun. You used a smith machine for squats. The bar in a smith typically does not weight 45lbs (the weight of an oly bar). Its typically about 15lbs so adding weight to that was alright.

In respect to rows, while the row attachment on a cable tower still isn't comparable for barbell rows, its better than the machines
    If you can, use dumbbells first to replace the barbell. Then a cable tower. Id rather do bodyweight stuff over the weight stack machines and use those as a last resort
  • symba1130
    Options
    All such great advise! Anyone else scared to start? Not sure what they are doing, etc?
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    All such great advise! Anyone else scared to start? Not sure what they are doing, etc?

oy vey. when i started, i didn't have even the thread of a clue. it's a good thing dumbbells don't have 'ends' or i wouldn't have known which one to accidentally clock myself in the eye with.

it was very intimidating. not so much the fear of getting hurt, but, yeah. the fear - no, the *knowledge* - that i didn't know anything. it's just a huge wall. i don't think guys get it because they grow up immersed in some form of exposure to weightlifting, even if it's just as an idea. for me, to go pick up weights and then decide i was going to learn how to use them was about the same as it would be for some guy to see me knitting a sock with a lace pattern rib, and say 'hey, i wanna learn to do that!' all by himself.

but i wanted to do it. it was a lot like when i suddenly really really wanted to bike to work. there was a bridge between me and the workplace that year, and have imentioned i'm one of those uncontrollable-primal-terror people when it comes to heights? the height was real and the fear was real, and the bridge was there . . . but i wanted to ride. i had to pick which one it would be. it was like that, only i'm not nearly as scared of weights as the way i get when i'm too far off the ground.

i'm betting myself that you'll do it, somehow :wink:
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options

Hi there. I'm also new to SLs. Tomorrow will be only my 4th workout. I was very intimidated to start a progressive lifting program; I've only ever really done machines, weights in exercise classes, and occasional weights with my hubby. And, none of that ever lasted more than a few months at a time.

I'm doing this for me. I want to be strong and feel strong and stop looking for a quick fix. I wanted to commit to a program that I can measure my success by not only weight loss, but also by strength gains. The program is simple to follow, I need that to stick with it. I considered other programs, but got overwhelmed by the number of moves and changing rep amounts.

It is challenging me already and will continue to challenge me. Not only physically, but mentally--thinking "there's no way I can squat with that bar on my back," to actually doing it. Also, being exposed to new things is good for the brain. I'm now reading about weight lifting, watching videos, and asking pertinent questions.

The people in this group have given me helpful advice and I don't feel like an idiot posting in here or asking questions.These are people who know what they are doing and talking about, but it doesn't alleviate us newbies from doing some research of our own.

If you want to do it, go for it! The desire to do it and a positive attitude will ensure you are successful.
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I'm just ending week 2 and I was quite intimidated when I began. I ended up just deciding to get myself a used bench/barbell/weight set so I'd have no excuses. I have a very real fear of being in a gym with others watching and judging me, but I did end up finally caving and posting form videos here despite that fear. I finally had to get over it and realize that the people on this forum are truly here to help and, having just started weight lifting, I had to be honest with myself that I had *no clue* if my form was correct or much of what I was doing. :)

Once that was nipped in the bud my confidence grew with each workout. This program is very appealing to me as each workout feels like tiny goals waiting to be met. Each time I progress to a new weight I'm overjoyed, and I've finally learned to accept that even when I don't progress that day, I still worked my butt off instead of sitting on my hiney. I actually feel like I've found a type of workout I can stick with, and am invested enough to be scouting out a nice power rack for my own sense of security.

This group has been wonderful as well. Very accepting and it's encouraging to see others asking many of the same questions I wonder myself.
  • symba1130
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the sincere honesty!

I just paid for my new gym membership and will be starting next week.

My husband has been lifting weights (all dumbells in our living room) for the last year+ and has made great progress. He stays home with our kids and works out during nap time.
    Getting out of the house to workout has been my biggest obstacle. I tried doing videos at 4am while kids were sleeping as well as just taking the little ones (1yr and 4.5yr) for walks, but it didn't feel like enough, so I just buckled down, paid for a membership + childcare and now the only thing that can get in my way is myself! But I WILL not let that happen. I have never been so excited to workout in my entire life!

Thanks again! I look forward to spending more time in this forum reading and learning with all you ladies :happy:
  • bangbangchoochootrain
    bangbangchoochootrain Posts: 118 Member
    Options

Literally the first day I did stronglifts it took me an hour and a half. Not because the lifting was hard, although the rows were pretty tough. I basically walked around the gym, bumbled my way through trying to figure out whether or not the bar levels were moveable (they are, phew), finding weights that were strewn about the gym, watching videos in between rest periods because I was CONVINCED I was doing it wrong.

The second day took me a normal amount of time because I watched my videos at home and went in like I was a badass. I highly suggest any newbies do the same. Sure I was terrified by the big sweaty dude doing weird resistance band lunges from the ceiling in the squat rack but hey, show no fear. I made it, and I'll do it all again tomorrow.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    just buckled down, paid for a membership + childcare

i'm seeing my own membership (in my city's community/rec centre system) as one of the best deals that i've made all year. originally since i wasn't sure of my commitment/availability and i was already getting one day/week 'free' as part of the classes that i was taking, i just bought 'blocks' of 10 visits and renewed them when they ran out. after the second set got used up, i dithered for a while about which way to go before deciding on a full year of unlimited whenever-wherever access. so glad i did.

childcare though . . . i can't even write down my props to you people with littler kids who are making or finding space for all this. i was a pretty single single mother for most of my own son's life so it was just out of the picture for me until he hit that 'just leave me alone' age and i got to start doing my own thing again. but even fitting it in when you have a second parent around is a crazy testimony to you guys' seriousness.