August goals

Options
krokador
krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
Skipping goal threads is like skipping leg day! Bad form, guys! ;)

I kid, I kid. I'll see if I can get a mod to sticky this one and unstick the June one!

My goals are as follow:

Last day of my program, I'd like to hit:
- Snatch: 95lbs
- Clean & jerk: 110lbs
- Deadlift: 235lbs

I also have a goal of no cheat day/meal until then (next Saturday)

Then I'll take 2 days off of heavy lifting and go in to test my maxes for my next Wendler cycle (won't retest the deadlift max because ugh!).
- Bench Press 125lbs + AMRAP @ 115
- Squat 195lbs + AMRAP @ 175
- OHP 92.5lbs + AMRAP @ 75
- Deadlift AMRAP @ 185

Then I'll have a deload week where I'll focus more on body weight and running, then will go in and train by feel until the 23rd - possibly attend a crossfit class or 2. I'll run a test 5k somewhere in there, hoping for sub 33m time!

August 23rd: XMAN obstacle race. This one is more varied in the obstacles and less of a climb than the one I did in June. I wanna be ready for it and drop my weight to 185lbs by then. Which isn't going to be too hard cuz that's just 2.5lbs in 3 weeks.

Then I'm hoping to leave for a few days to spend time at the beach in Maine (if the weather allows it), and I'm gonna start my 5/3/1 -- crossfit hybrid on the 30th or the 31st.

Non-fitness related, I have
- a wedding to plan =D
- hoping to write 2-3 times a week at least since I've been neglecting that a lot
- Leave technology behind for an entire day once in the month.

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options

- a wedding to plan =D

Congrats!!

Hit goal weight. I keep going up and down for months now. So tired of it, and a mild deficit should get me there in a month assuming I don't blow it with a large cheat meal every week (like I have been).

Sub 30 min 5k (current best 32:54)
    Long run of 8.5k (current best 7k)

I have been slacking on the cardio so some measurable goals should help me with sticking with it.
    I don't have any lifting goals right now other than to stick with the plan. I think I will look at picking up the 5/3/1 book but my modified stronglifts will continue for August.
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I'd like to lose 5 pounds. I've been going really slowly the past few weeks since my work schedule was screwy (third shift hell) and also my diet was pretty much a wreck. I have no control over how much of those Snyder's Salted Caramel pretzel pieces, so I need to not buy them or let hubby buy them for me.

Strength goals:

Squat - 100lbs
    Bench - 90lbs
    Rows - 100lbs
    OHP - 70lbs

Cardio goals:

Continue with C25K progam. This is my third attempt, and I've never made it past week 3. I start week 3 on Tuesday, so here's hoping that things continue to go well. I'm really feeling good about the runs so far.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    - a wedding to plan

CONGRATS!!!

New to this goal thing. Hmmm. I guess I would have ultimate goals set but not monthly ones.
    Ok let's see. Let me know what you guys think of these, if they are attainable or to easy.

Squat 150 Could be doable :/ they are getting pretty hard now though. 30 lbs in a month though.
    Bench 90. 20 to go
    Row 100 20 to go
    OHP ugh hope for 70?? 15 to go
    Deadlift 170. 30 to go.

Lose inches. I am sort of ok with my weight as long as inches go down. I really do like the way I look now and it only going to get better!!

I've been trying to add my slogging back in so I'll try and keep that up, hubby gets worried about me now though:( it's different here than it was even a year ago. He was talking about getting me a concealed weapon permit and a handgun for when I go out. Anyways.. Little off topic there.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    New to this goal thing. Hmmm. I guess I would have ultimate goals set but not monthly ones.
    Ok let's see. Let me know what you guys think of these, if they are attainable or to easy.

Squat 150 Could be doable :/ they are getting pretty hard now though. 30 lbs in a month though.
    Bench 90. 20 to go
    Row 100 20 to go
    Deadlift 170. 30 to go.

Those are some pretty hefty goal considering you get at best 8 possible increases on lifts in a month. They would probably work better as end of the year goals?

Personally, I feel the point with these monthly goals is to cut the bigger picture into smaller chunks. Make it seem more attainable/less of a long term struggle and more of a mid-term push. For example, those weights i've listed to try out my max are only 5lbs away or so from my known current max. Granted I'm a bit further ahead so the progress is a tad slower. But expecting your bench press to jump up 20lbs in a month (if that's what you had in mind when you wrote it down?) is a bit of a long shot.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    - a wedding to plan =D
    Congratulations!

My goals, let's see..it would be cool if...

squats from 155 to 165...think I can do this one, but only if form stays good, otherwise sticking and working on form

deadlifts from 145 to 155...doable but would even be happy with 150, keep trying to lift that and not happening yet

bench presses from 80 to 90 (I don't know but I am hoping the extra calories from my 10-day diet break will help me out here)

overhead press 60 to 65...and continued improvements on form

reverse curls, 65 to at least 70 or 75

overhand/underhand bicep curls - 105 to 115

And I hope my 10-day diet break works...day 1 and counting. :)
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options

Bench 90. 20 to go
    Row 100 20 to go
    Deadlift 170. 30 to go.

Those are some pretty hefty goal considering you get at best 8 possible increases on lifts in a month. They would probably work better as end of the year goals?

Personally, I feel the point with these monthly goals is to cut the bigger picture into smaller chunks. Make it seem more attainable/less of a long term struggle and more of a mid-term push. For example, those weights i've listed to try out my max are only 5lbs away or so from my known current max. Granted I'm a bit further ahead so the progress is a tad slower. But expecting your bench press to jump up 20lbs in a month (if that's what you had in mind when you wrote it down?) is a bit of a long shot.

Thanks for the input. I don't know what to expect now as I am still new to this but want to push myself as much as I can.

Squat 140 20 to go
    Bench 80 10 to go
    Row 90 10 to go
    OHP 65 10 to go
    Deadlift 155 15 to go.

Would these be more attainable? If I exceed then bonus!! Haha
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Hit goal weight. I keep going up and down for months now. So tired of it, and a mild deficit should get me there in a month assuming
    You can do it!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I just really want to break my stall and increase my weights! I've been stuck for a while :sad: Also, I need figure out what my body is up to. I've been gaining weight this week (I'm guessing TOM), but I'd like to hit my goal weight once and for all. I'm only 2-3 pounds away. I think my body is craving more calories. July has been a tough one for me, control wise.

By the end of the month, I'd like to be at:

Squat: 115 (I've been stuck on 100/105 lately)
    Dead lift: 130 (15lb increase)
    OHP: 53-54 (LOL thank goodness for fractional plates)
    Bench: 60 (I've been struggling with 58 atm =/)
    Rows: 75 (7lbs increase)

I'd also like to complete the C25K program. I just finished week 9 today, but I think it's been taking a toll on my lifts and recovery. I only do it 2 days/week, but I might have to reevaluate it and only do it once a week.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Still new to all of this-I know my goals will seem rudimentary but I figure one meal at a time, one workout at a time. Complete all SLs workouts this month. At least 3 cardio workouts per week. Walking and bike riding. I also joined a PiYo fusion group challenge on here, so at least 1 PiYo video per week (secret goal is to do 2). Continue logging my calories and try to find my sweet spot of eating as many calories as I can while keeping weight loss at/under 2lbs per week.

Stay involved with posting for accountability.
  • CoadyMarie
    CoadyMarie Posts: 165
    Options
    I really want to get form nailed down! Hoping to pass 100lbs on squats, since that is my most challenging lift and I feel like I've been stuck for ages.

Also I want to get really consistent with food - in July every weekend I had a BBQ or family reunion where I ate way too much and then had to make up for it the following week. I really want to even my intake out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    August goals....

Weight lifting related

Break the triple diget OHP still.....:grumble: for more than one rep...I think I could do one right now.
    Get over 200lbs on squats
    Break that 125lb row
    Get past my DL deload weight of 210...with good form
    Benching...just keep going I guess.

exercise related

chin ups/pull ups more regularly
    get back on my bike...I kind of got away from it goal is go for a "good" ride 4x in August
    beat the HR manager in our walking contest...he got 132k steps last week...I only got 120k :grumble:

Food related

Keep maintaining...possible cut in Sept

Non fitness/food related

not really sure...my garden is going well so might have to harvest it in August/Sept.
    Help my son move into his new apartment....maybe...:bigsmile:

As mentioned thinking of doing another cut in Sept to get down to 145..and switching to wendler 5/3/1...just to switch it up.
  • ketoandbarbell
    Options
    I just really want to break my stall and increase my weights! I've been stuck for a while :sad:

Are you getting all 5x5's? Are your glutes and hamstrings really helping. I found that mine weren't. Once they go run with the program. Haha. Was much easier. Also, once brain got with it, it also helped. :wink:
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    My August goals copied from my profile. I feel more accountable if I put them in public somehow even if no one reads them. :)

-Lose 6 lbs from my week of debauchery following 7/26 meet (some will be water.)
    -Yoga 3x
    -4 531 sessions for each lift (can double sessions eg: deadlift/ohp)
    -20 conditioning sessions (includes easy conditioning like walking)
    - complete 8-500cal "fast" days
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    July was my first month back to SL5x5 and I'm pleased to report that I have completed week 3. I started with dumbbells/kettlebells/plates and just yesterday moved to barbells for my rows, OHP and deadlift. My goals for August are>>>

Squats - continue working on form with box and goblet squats and get into the power cage for 50# weighted back squats
    BP - 85#, currently at 70# and struggling to get that last set
    Rows - 60#, currently at 45#
    OHP - 55#, currently at 45#
    DL - 110#, currently at 95#

Reporting my workouts regularly.

Weight goal - 175, currently at 177.2

Oh, and BTW, I booked some sessions with a trainer to work on form and make sure I'm doing everything correctly. First session is Wed the 6th.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I just really want to break my stall and increase my weights! I've been stuck for a while :sad:

Are you getting all 5x5's? Are your glutes and hamstrings really helping. I found that mine weren't. Once they go run with the program. Haha. Was much easier. Also, once brain got with it, it also helped. :wink:

Some days I do 3x5 to save on time. I do ATG squats, so I think my flutes/hamstrings are getting used. I'm very conscious of my form. I'm on my second round of SL and the progress is coming a lot slower than before. I think I'm just getting frustrated with it :( Thanks for the advice!
  • perseverance14
    Options
    I forgot my barbell rows, going to try to get to 85 or 90.
  • perseverance14
    Options
    I forgot my barbell rows, going to try to get to 85 or 90.
    Got to 85 today, so now on to 90.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Weight loss goal for August: 5 lbs

Activity goal for August: Average 105,000 steps per week (15k steps per day)

Lifting goal for August: Continue with Wendler's and hit 170lb squats (which hopefully by the end of August will put me at 10lbs away from squatting my body weight!!!)
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Eat: Stay under 2000 calories a day until mid August, then move down to sub 1800 to start my cut. *cry*

Lift: I'm not sure how I will perform once starting my cut, but that being said...I haz goals anyway. I want to hit 165+ for squats (150 current), 85+ for OHP (70 current), 115+ for bench (100 current, just deloaded from a very close 110 attempt), 175+ for DL (155 current), and 110 for rows (95 current). I am also going to...UGH...start doing some cardio, because...deficit.

Life: Find a job so I can put aside money for my own place, stop worrying about other people's feelings so much, practice guitar at least a few times a week, practice Spanish 5-7 times a week, get sexy as hell.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i'm not really sure about goals since i don't know what this knee thing means yet. i guess at the worst-case i'd like to:

- not gain back any weight, if i end up not lifting or riding for a while.
    - MAYBE keep going with the other lifts, or at least use the time to get my ohp and bench up a bit. not sure if i 'should' do this or whether i should at least tweak in some way, since according to mehdi the whole thing rests on the basis of getting your squats. deadlift and rows i'm just leaving as question marks. i dunno. i'm not even sure what specific moves hurt, aside from the squats.
    - spend the time on core and glute/hamstring work, i guess. bleh, but mostly because i feel cornered into it. i'll stop sulking in a couple of days, probably.

i guess i'll just say that for now i'd like to find alternate workouts that will NOT stress my knee, and that will be worthwhile investments once i do get back to sl.