What fields do you display on your GPS?

Options
For those with a configurable-field GPS, what do you display? If you don't have that option, what would you want to display? In particular, if you had four fields. Would your racing configuration differ from training?

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    First screen: distance, time, current pace, average pace
    Second screen: Lap #, lap time, lap pace, lap distance
    Third screen: Cadence, HR, Avg. HR and calories

I've been playing a lot with the third screen and changed it last week. I also deactivated the running dynamics thing.. I was obsessing with the vertical oscillation thing (apparently, I bounce up and down too much... Oh well!)

Oh, my lap are 1mi but I'm using metric for the rest. It's awesome that I can chose what I want in metric and what I want in old 'merican.

I feel like I'm not using my beautiful awesome watch to it's full potential though :(
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    I lock the bezel on mine (Garmin Forerunner 410).
    I only look at one screen (the other is that virtual running thing)

Total time is on top. Left lower is avg pace. Right lower is distance. Lap beeps at 1mi. I do want to look at changing that - like 5min intervals for my tempo runs lol
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    For training currently I am displaying lap pace, average pace, cadence and distance. For a short race I would swap out cadence for HR.
  • kristinegift
    kristinegift Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Mine has 3 fields. On the first screen: Time, Distance, Lap Pace. Second screen: Average pace, Distance, Current Pace. That way I can check my time-related math that I'm doing while I'm running to distract myself ;)
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm not using my beautiful awesome watch to it full potential though :(

I forgot that my wattch has more then one screen until you just mentioned it! Talk about not using a watch to it's potential!

I have distance, lap time, and current pace showing. I've thought average pace would be more useful though, but haven't bothered to change it.

Often people will stop me and ask me what time it is. Time is not showing on my watch. I don't know how to look at the time while I'm running so i usually just look at how long I've been running and guess on the time rather than explain that my watch doesn't tell time.

Really, I'm not sure why I even have a gps watch.
  • Kelven23
    Kelven23 Posts: 51
    Options
    time and distance, I think that is kind of all it does but really haven't messed with it much
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about using this setup for races:

Top - lap time (know how much time is left in split)
    Mid left - last lap pace (in case I miss the notification)
    Mid right - current lap pace (obviously)
    Bottom - avg pace (see how the overall race is going)

Unlike training, I don't see total elapsed time mattering more than pace.
  • _Josee_
    Options

Only problem I see with that is the course doesn't always measure the same as my watch (Although I haven't tried the 620 in a long race yet.. So maybe it's more accurate than the 210). I like to know the elapsed time; that way when I cross mile markers on the course I can compare to my pace plan (that I usually sharpie on my arm lol). That system worked really for me on my last 3 big races.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

Only problem I see with that is the course doesn't always measure the same as my watch (Although I haven't tried the 620 in a long race yet.. So maybe it's more accurate than the 210). I like to know the elapsed time; that way when I cross mile markers on the course I can compare to my pace plan (that I usually sharpie on my arm lol). That system worked really for me on my last 3 big races.

I could disable autolap and hit the split counter myself?
  • _Josee_
    Options

I could disable autolap and hit the split counter myself?

I would miss a marker then end up with useless data lol I bet the 620 is more accurate than the 210 anyway.
    Try that setup you listed; you'll know fast enough if you'll want to use it again in future races.
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hm, I feel like I'm not using my Garmin to its full potential either.

I usually leave it on lap pace, total time, and distance.

I have the 410 and don't know why. I should have just stayed with the 305 or bought a cheap 2xx or 1xx series.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I have a 410 and only use two of the three screens - just because you CAN have all the info doesn't mean I want it! First screen is time elapsed, current pace, and distance. That was all I used for ages, and is mostly what I use on easy training runs now. Then for my last marathon I added a second screen only showing current lap time and current lap pace, and that was what I displayed for the whole race, to stop me going out too fast.

I'm also the sort of person who would forget to hit 'lap' at each mile marker, so instead I use autolap but I press 'lap' manually as well whenever the difference between my watch and the course markers gets too noticeable. That keeps me on track.

I also use 1 mile as my standard lap distance but I use the 'advanced workout' feature for intervals etc., which lets me set different laps by time or distance. That produces a third screen that gives you the distance or time remaining and your current lap pace (and is what inspired my current racing screen).

I wouldn't want four fields on the same screen because it would be too small to read easily (or I'd need a bigger watch and I have tiny wrists).
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I use HR and lap pace for a race and manually lap at a race. For easy runs, just HR and time. For tempo runs, lap pace, HR, and auto lap.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    For training runs, just time and hr, with it set to auto lap and auto pause. During a race, I usually have it set up for lap distance, pace and hr.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I have a 610. I use two screens with three fields on each. I tried to use 4, but I was having a hard time reading the numbers with my old *kitten* eyeballs.

This is the screen I use 80%+ of the time, even for racing. Those are the only numbers that are important to me.
    Screen 1:
    Center: Lap Pace (I use this instead of Current Pace as it's much more accurate)
    Top: Overall Distance
    Bottom: Overall Time

This screen gets used for some training runs
    Screen 2:
    Top: Lap Distance
    Center: Lap Time
    Bottom: Lap Time

I can do any type of workout, by time or distance, with those three.
  • Carrieendar
    Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Lap Pace and Average Pace in a race,sometimes I will put distance on there, but lately I have not been doing that because it makes me look at the watch too much! During other runs it will depend on the kind of workout.