Welcome!

Options
:drinker: Welcome! I am hoping to create a group to help with the specific needs and questions of people who are preparing for VSG, Lap-Band or Gastric ByPass who also just happen to be Canadian. I don't claim to have all the answers, and I am looking for help too. The process in Canada seems to be a bit slower than things I've read written by people in the U.S. and as far as info on supplements and their availability in Canada, thats an area I am really looking for info on.
Im 44 yrs old and am currently pre-op VSG.
Requests for friending are welcome, I am online every day
Allison :smile:

Replies

• LastDance70
    LastDance70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! Im not too far from you, it seems, just an hour or so away. The nearest village is Carbon AB. I am in the info gathering stage on surgery. Im just over 40, and over 300lbs.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I'm in Winnipeg, Manitoba. I'm 49 and will have surgery a few months before my big 50th Birthday. Yeah!!! What a year to celebrate it will be. My starting weight was 317 in February & I'm currently 292. Just got the green light to meet with the surgeon this past week at my 6 month pre-op check in. Yeah.:drinker: :smile:

I forgot to add that I am open to friend requests. It's great being connected with the Canadian Community both before and after this life changing surgery. :flowerforyou:
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm in BC,44 years old, and I had my VSG surgery on June 24, 2014. I went through the West Coast Bariatric program in Richmond BC.
    Here in BC there are only 2 programs (west coast bariatrics & Victoria *not sure of the name of the program) that do bariatric surgery if you are going through MSP, there are more if you are self pay.

I had my surgery 2 years after my referral was sent in by my doctor.
    Now I've heard the waiting list is up to 3 years.

My referral was sent in June 2012. I was accepted into the program in Jan 2014. Was approved by the team and had my surgery June 2014. I was ready sooner, they wanted me in March, but due to my work, I wanted to wait until June.
  • kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to you both! :drinker:
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    It's amazing how long the wait lists are across the country for WLS surgery. If we have had it or are on our way we are very fortunate. As the word gets out and more programs start up across the country the demands are higher and the waiting lists are longer. I will be so happy to have my surgery before the holidays.
  • nicolemcintosh29
    nicolemcintosh29 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just had my appts with the dietician, nurse and social worker today and they all gave me the green light. I'm going to be having the bypass surgery though I don't have a date yet.
    I am in Ontario, near Toronto. I'm very excited, which feels like a weird thing to say about having surgery.
  • nakeddog
    nakeddog Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am in Edmonton...just joined. Decided to get the tracking part started, I heard that was a requirement.

I was referred Jan 2015, and finally got a phone call to go to the clinic in May. I have no idea how much longer from then to the actual surgery.

I've spent the past year attending a lot of classes, from both AB health care, and PCN. Took an online nutrition course, still need to write the final exam. I just hope I've got the i's dotted and t's crossed to make the process as fast and smooth as possible.

I have all the criteria, high bmi, 263lbs, sleep apnea, on blood pressure meds...all learned 2yrs ago, just took awhile to get my dr to agree to refer me. I don't see any reason to be denied, I am 43, non smoker, mom to 4 kids and married. :)
  • believefsc
    believefsc Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I wish this group was more active because I'm really needing information and support. I'm in BC and have my Orientation for the Richmond program next week. I'd like to know what criteria they use to determine who gets the surgery, how long others in BC took from Orientation to Surgery, and what I can do to prepare in general.

Anyone can 'friend' me. I'm ready to go and would like to have partners in this life change.