Knowing how far / fast you have walked

Options
TheMrWobbly
TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
I had been estimating previously but have been given a great site, http://gb.mapometer.com/, which gives really accurate walking distances and then by knowing how long it takes me I can work out the speed.

Give it a whirl, you might be surprised just how fast you were going...

Replies

• Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    Looks good, must check it against the apps I use on my phone for accuracy.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I use mapmywalk, I walk my elderly greyhound so it takes me forever, i'm not sure the calories burned is very accurate though.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper (free app for your phone) is good too.
    Online calorie estimators should be pretty accurate for walking as it's a very "standard" activity.
  • tiggsnanny
    Options
    I hope the calories are accurate, I suppose because i'm walking slow (lots of sniffing to be done :happy: ) lol
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I am going to check out those apps, couldn't find anything on the blackberry the first time of trying but if I have something that works with GPS I'll give it a whirl. I will rely on MFP to work out the calories though.
  • Smirnoff65
    Smirnoff65 Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I am going to check out those apps, couldn't find anything on the blackberry the first time of trying but if I have something that works with GPS I'll give it a whirl. I will rely on MFP to work out the calories though.

MFP calories are quite exaggerated as I found when I started using an HRM
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Online calorie estimators should be pretty accurate for walking as it's a very "standard" activity.

I use Runkeeper and I find if I eat back all my exercise calories, I still lose, so I'd say it's accurate.
  • grapefruitannie
    grapefruitannie Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper is Fab you can log everything from Walking to running to skiing cycling badminton the list goes on. Really easy to use as well :):)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,664 Member
    Options
    I use the runtastic app. Previously Endomondo, but the calories burned seemed a bit inflated.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

I use Runkeeper and I find if I eat back all my exercise calories, I still lose, so I'd say it's accurate.

Another thumbs up for Runkeeper, but I do not eat back all my calories. I find it helps if you wait to get the "good gps" signal before setting off
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Previously Endomondo, but the calories burned seemed a bit inflated.

Bugger!:sad:
  • TLwineguzzler
    TLwineguzzler Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of downloading an app for this, but one thing worries me - does it use much of your mobile data up?
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Aside from downloading the app they are pretty light on data usage with only the upload of your activity. While you are walking etc it's using the GPS antenna which will only eat into your battery life.

Using MapMyWalk as I type this too.
  • tiggsnanny
    Options
    I have a fitbit flex, i've only had it a couple of weeks, not sure how accurate it is, but it def motivates me to keep moving :happy: