Bits & Pieces - Misc. Info

Options
A thread for misc. info and tips :bigsmile:

Replies

• kittenincalgary
    kittenincalgary Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Okay, first thing I thought I'd put here is in regards to finding affordable options when it comes to food.
    In Calgary, there is an awesome service called "Good Food Box" where people can get good quality fruits and veggies for super cheap. It is run by the Community Kitchen Program of Calgary.

http://www.ckpcalgary.ca/goodfoodbox.html

It may be worthwhile to see if there is similar stuff where you live, because the cost of healthy food is getting ridiculous. :noway:
  • kittenincalgary
    Options
    Type 1 Diabetes. Just some interesting stuff I read..:glasses:
    At the U of A in Edmonton, they are developing a treatment to help with hypoglycemia. It involves something called an "Islet Transplant" that gives patients a reprieve from severe attacks for a period of time.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That "Good Food Box" place sounds like a really interesting concept. I don't think we have anything like that here in Winnipeg.
    One thing I do to try and save a few bucks is shop at Safeway on 10% off day as I really like a few of their products. I always check their clearance yogurt and will buy almost any type that is marked down 50% off. Same with some of their Freybe packaged lunch meat. I like getting the pre-packaged for now because I find it easier to calculate the calories and it seems to stay fresher longer than freshly sliced Deli Meat.
  • kittenincalgary
    Options
    The Good Food Box is excellent for sure. Their smallest "box you can order is 20-25lbs of fruits and veggies for $20. :glasses:
  • kittenincalgary
    Options
    Something they mentioned in my pre-surgery nutrition class, but it didnèt really register for me was the concept of not drinking anything with meals. I nodded along even though it went in one ear and out the other. BUT, then in another great group here on MFP, someone posted the following link to a video explaining why. Its from a site called formerfatdudes.com and after I saw it, I stopped even thinking about having anything with food.
    http://formerfatdudes.com/friends-dont-let-friends-drink-and-eat/
  • relentless2121
    Options
    Now that I've finally jumped through all the hoops and been approved for surgery, now it's time to start the 30-30-30 water rule and start reducing my caffeine intake. Wish me luck.
  • relentless2121
    Options
    A Friend told me that a new series on Bariatric Surgery started on TLC last Monday night. It is called "My Weight Is Killing Me." It was scheduled to be on again this Monday but it no longer appears on my pvr so there must have been a change of network programming.
    I will be watching for it and sure it will pop up in the next few weeks.
    It is about a father and son who are Bariatric Surgeons in Houston, Texas and the stories of the people they perform surgery on.
    It reminded me that about 6-8 years back or so there was a similar series with a father & son team who were Bariatric Surgeons but I think it was called "Big Medicine."
    I absolutely love Watching "My 600 Pound Life" & keep most of them saved.
  • kittenincalgary
    Options
    I've seen a couple episodes of "My 600lb life" , interesting stuff! That other one "My Weight Is Killing Me" was on last week, but didn't see it. I stopped watching "The Biggest Loser" a few seasons ago, when they started trying to sell their books, retreats, DVDs, etc. at every commercial break. I get it that they are a company and need to make some money, but as a former carnival worker, it rubbed me the wrong way. Still it someone finds their shows or products useful, then thats great and I in no way mean to take away from that. Everyone's different. :happy: