Help Dizzy on Pre-op liquid diet

Options
mlomago19
mlomago19 Posts: 16 Member
Hi Everyone.
I'm on Day two of my pre-op liquid diet and I am constantly dizzy and have a headache. I've been doing 3 protein shakes/day and so far today have had 134 oz of water (I normally drink this much). I tried a powerade zero thinking that maybe I needed some sodium/electrolytes since I drink so much and normally would get more of that from food than I get with the shakes, but it didn't help. Left a message with the nutritionists, but if anyone has any help or advice, it would be most welcome. I'd love to at least know that I'm not alone feeling so crappy...

Replies

• dward59
    dward59 Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I remember the headache. Not dizzy, but tense, snarly, headache, "avoid this person at all costs" unpleasant to be around.

For me that started easing on day three and by day four or five was no longer an issue as my body adjusted.

Hang in there! I think you did the correct thing calling the nutritionist to be sure the Dr. knows what is going on, but I think you are going through the adjustment phase many of us have at that stage.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I felt dizzy and lightheaded at the beginning of the pre-op diet. It got A LOT better after day 3. Then, I would have to remind myself to have a protein shake. Are you limited to 3 protein shakes a day or can you have more than that? I bet you start feeling better soon.
  • Choppy1973
    Options
    Wow! That's a lot of water. I remember having slight headaches and only dizzy when I was dehydrated. The headaches should go away. Keep it up.
  • homerismyhero
    homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I remember being dizzy- and tired- and HANGRY! The only cheat I made on the pre op diet was sometimes having a hard boiled egg- dizzy would subside and could at least drive home from work.
  • relentless2121
    relentless2121 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't know if you have had to withdraw from caffeine before surgery, I know I will have too. Could that possibly be the reason for the headache or do you think it is the lack of calories. I think I will be able to have 5 Diabetic Boost Shakes a day for 2 weeks. Every program is different.

I hope the headache stops & you are feeling a lot stronger in the next day or two.
    Take good care of yourself. :smile: