Protein powder.

Options
kaeli_shay
kaeli_shay Posts: 11 Member
Hello,

I am getting ready to start the 4 week pre-op diet. I already bought a huge thing of protein powder from costco and I am wondering if I can use that as my meal replacement shakes, or if I should use the Bariactric Advantage. The both have 27 g. of protein.

Thank you!

Replies

• katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    It should be okay as long as it is low carb. I used Premier Protein, Isopure, EAS Advantedge Low Carb, and those were all fine. I never used BA, too pricey. My MD's office gave guidelines for amount of protein and carbs for each portion, to make sure we were getting what we needed, but not overdoing it with carbs. If you call your MD's office, they will probably be able to tell you if the powder you chose is acceptable. Good luck!!
  • kaeli_shay
    Options
    Thank you so much for the info!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have some I ogt at Sam's that has 30 grams of Whey Isolate protein which is the type of protein my doctor said to use. And I love, love, love the Syntrax Nectar I get from my doctor's office! The cappaciino flavor is my favorite!! You can get that one on line.
  • sarahViolet1977
    sarahViolet1977 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    My doctor had specific protein powders and pre mixed shakes he wanted me to use pre op but said I could use anything I wanted post op. I used slim fast high protein and premier protein shakes.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Just watch out for sugar and carb level. I had a coupon for a meal replacement powder and it gave me dumping syndrome, I didn't think to check the sugar level.
  • kaeli_shay
    Options
    Perfect, thank you all for the info!
  • Tamk1964
    Options
    Everyone's taste buds are different - but I really loved Isopure (The Creamy Vanilla and Dutch Chocolate). I found both of these flavors to not be too sweet - with just the right amount of flavor. Isopure is almost non-Carb and has 50 grams of protein for 2 scoops. The low (some are zero) carb/low sugar content was extremely beneficial for continued weight loss. I am almost a year out and I still only use Isopure daily. I now add a large tablespoon of the Vanilla to my Greek Yogurt - taking it from 12 grams of protein up to 18 grams. I also purchase their flavor drinks (Apple Melon, Alpine Punch). They aren't real appetizing by themselves - but I typically will add 4 to 8 oz to my drinking water. Each ounce is 2 grams of protein.

You just have to keep trying and find what works for you. Ultimately, you want something which is satisfying enough for the long term. Good luck!!
  • kaeli_shay
    Options
    Thanks! where can I find those?
  • Tamk1964
    Options
    You can get Isopure at most GNC Nutrition Stores or online at Amazon. Keep a look out for the sales at GNC - sometimes they have a buy one get another 1/2 off sale. I'm not sure if this helps at all ...but I was told to not stock up too much before surgery as often our taste buds change after surgery. I've heard lots of stories where people went and bought large quantities of protein powder, etc. and then found out they could not tolerate the taste with their new sleeve. My surgeon provided an assortment of different protein powders, soups for post-surgery. I was able to try a variety and then eventually bulk purchase what I enjoyed the most. I still have a few products that I tried once and never used again.

Good luck to you!!!!