My Story

Options
Hello lovelies, my name is Bree, and about five years ago, when I was a freshman in high school, the hair on my head started falling out, by the brush-full. I could brush my hair and fill up the brush every single time. This led to me seeing my regular old doctor. Then a dermatologist. Then an endocrinologist. Lots of blood work later I was told I had PCOS, but i wasn't what you would call a typical case. You see the only thing I had was high testosterone levels and mild alopecia. No cysts. No irregular periods. No insulin resistance. No weird hair growth. The doctor put me on birth control and that was it. I have pretty much tried to forget it for the past five years. I never wanted to think of myself as abnormal or different than anyone else. I thought that people might judge me for my "illness". But earlier today my mom showed me something about "Yoga for PCOS" and it suddenly brought back everything. I have been googling like mad, which probably is a bad thing, bet hey, what else am i to do with the internet. Now I am left with all sorts of questions, but no answers. I don't want to be alone in this, so that is why I am here. To have someone else who has been through what I have been through. Someone that understands.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Hi, and welcome. While my primary issue is the insulin resistance, feel free to friend me and ask questions (both to me directly and on this board).

Unfortunately, PCOS is a syndrome, which means it's a collection of symptoms. Like you've experienced first hand, this means that we all experience it a little different. And really, PCOS is a misnomer, because cysts are just as likely to not happen as they are to happen in PCOS. Hopefully, you can find the underlying reasons for why your testosterone is so high and can find a way to bring it down. Until then, you've found a group that understands and can answer your questions.
  • sharimedina
    Options
    Just wanted to say welcome. Wondering if you are trying to lose weight to control your symptoms?? Good luck and you aren't alone in this. :)
  • mjrose514
    mjrose514 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I didn't find out till I was a sophomore in college so at least you were ahead of the game! They put me on met and bc and it was horrible lol stopped within a few months. I was like you though in that I didn't really have the "normal" symptoms in HS and even until a couple of years ago. It was when I gained weight as a freshman that my mom noticed facial hair when I went home that summer and made me go get testing. Of course that's when I became self conscious and started shaving areas I shouldn't and made it worse lol. I still had normal periods, but looking back I wonder if I truly ovulated though. I do have insulin resistance though so my experience is based on my weight... So when I moved to the fried food capital of the world (sc lol) I packed on weight, had a stressful marriage, so packed on more. Then about 2 1/2 years ago the irregular periods started.

Basically don't ignore it like I did. Keep getting tested every year or when you start to notice changes in anything so you can stay ahead of any real problems.
  • Breeloney
    Options
    I am losing weight because i hate the way I look. I want to be fit and happier with my life.