Introductions

Options

Replies

• noelani123
    noelani123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Noelani. I live in Richlands NC. 48 years old, married to a farmer. I have a stressful job as a prison administrative officer. So this is about the umpteenth time I have gone back to MFP to start logging my food consumption. After many attempts to stick with MFP and a lifestyle change, I am still at what I consider to be a miserable weight. I don't know how to retrain my brain. I know that it is more about putting your mind in the right place, being determined enough to make it happen and strong enough to resist bad habits. My biggest issue is that I hate vegetables and any seafood or fish. I love the veggies that go into salad, but don't want to eat it every day. I hate greens, most squash, beans and peppers. I have decided to take baby steps. Today, I stopped at the grocery store and bought the ingredients for a pork, chicken and beef meals all supposed to be low in calories. I have decided to try and give up boxed carbs like crackers, cookies, pasta but will continue to eat breads and potatoes in moderation. At least until I can find a way to introduce other foods that i would not normally eat. I have reached a big achievement in that I have started drinking fruit smoothies every morning. Before, I never ate breakfast. Now, I have a smoothie made of yogurt, fresh fruit and milk. I am in my second week of smoothies. Tomorrow, I m adding Kale to the smoothie. So, Hooray! I have figured out how to add a green vegetable to my diet. My next goal is to add back walking. Something I will do for a while then back off of for some excuse or another. I know that exercise is the key! All I want to lose is 12-15 lbs. and then maintain.
  • bhicks014
    bhicks014 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

I joined to find some buddy's to get a little more motivated.
    I am 23 years old and live in Berlin, Germany.
    I want to lose 35 kg until the end of the year.
    You guys are welcome to add me to your friends. =)

Anano

Anano in the house representing Germany! Glad to have you with us. You have a very achievable goal and I truly believe you can do this. Surround yourself with supportive people and the journey will get a little easier as the days go by. The important thing is to develop those healthy habits to the point they are second nature and near automatic responses. If you ever need to talk, I'm here. Best of luck and welcome to the group!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi My Name is Cynthia and I am looking forward to talking/helping each other meet our goals. Since I injured my knee I have been finding alternative exercises to enjoy, such as water aerobics. I found that the website Pinterest has a lot of great creative food ideas for meals. I need to loose some weight, become fit and strong. I find leaving sugar behind my biggest challenge.
    :flowerforyou:

Hello Cynthia! Your picture is amazing and I don't know who is dressed up like Lucille Ball, but they sure look like her. It looks like you had a great time. Water aerobics is fantastic because of the reduced stress on the joints. That was a very smart decision. Sugar is extremely addictive and many of us feel your pain. Losing weight is sometimes tough to get started, but once the results start coming in it really adds to the desire to lose more. Take things one step at a time and slowly build to the level of strength you hope to achieve. Good luck and welcome to the group!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi, I'm Brenda and I live in Pennsylvania. It took me 2 years to drop almost 40 pounds and I would like to lose another 10. In the past 3 weeks I gained 5 back and I want to "nip that in the butt" before it gets out of hand. I hate to exercise - so the only thing I do is walk on my lunchtime at work. I want to lose weight to feel better and live longer than my Mom (she passed at age 54).

Brenda! Welcome to the group. You have done a good job in recognizing a weight gain issue before it got out of hand. Being proactive is usually better than being reactive. 40 pounds is a lot to lose and congratulations on succeeding. I'm sorry to hear about your mom passing, but she will always be with you in mind, heart, and spirit. I'm certain she is cheering you on and watching. Let that be part of your motivation. Best of luck to you and stay strong. If you need to talk I'm here.
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hello all I have been trying too lose the weight i gained from my daughter 4 years ago...and something always stops me .....wither life or my back...its hard for me to work out bc I have hurnated disks and fibroymialga.......And recently tthis year I almost died from an embolism in my lungs and ammonia.....which from those 2 months off being sick I gained over 20 pounds and I need to now get it off I still like to walk it helps and tai chi ....please if anyone has any ideas I am an open book.....

Hello and welcome to the group. It sounds like you have had a rough go as of late, but there is no doubt that you can get back on track. Be very careful if you choose to work out. You don't want to cause any further damage. Walking is a good exercise and living in New York (if in the city) I'm sure there are ample opportunities for that. I encourage you to be active on the boards and see what others have. We have started a nice thread on breakfast foods and weaknesses that could be of use to you. I wish you all the best on your journey and stay focused. You can do it!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Morning All!! :)

My name is Molly and I got engaged on 5/24 to the most amazing man! We are getting married 8/22/15 in a gorgeous tented reception. i have a huge road ahead of me but i'm taking it day by day. I am changing my lifestyle dramatically and i need to loose a significant amount of weight.

I'm looking for some people on here who are on the same type of journey i am. I figure it might be easier with people to lean on and motivate each other. Please friend me if you are looking for the same support.

Good luck to everyone!!
    Molly

Welcome aboard Molly! We are glad you chose to join us on this road to success. Congratulations on the engagement and I hope you have the best wedding ever! The road may look long and winding, but with the right people by your side supporting you, you can make it. There will be bumps here and there, but go with the flow and you will make it. If you need anything or just need to talk, I'm here for you. I'm not sure what your overall goal is, but one step at a time, one day at a time. Stay focused and work hard. You can make it!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi, Andielyn here. I've been back here since late April but my streak won't reflect that (nor my weight loss!) Recently took a few weeks hiatus to focus on non-weight loss issues. During that time I gained back some of the progress I had made. I struggle with stress-induced emotional eating. And I like beer a little too much. :) Been dealing with a bad shoulder/arm injury which limits the what I can do exercise-wise. Just recently started biking again in baby steps. Glad to meet you all!

Hello Andielyn! That sounds like such a beautiful name. You have brought something to the table that many of us may be able to relate to. Stress can make us act out of character and thus increase our consumption. Sugar is usually the go to food that people turn to when they are stressed. The key will be finding out exactly what those stresses are and getting to the root cause. Beer can be a little rough on the diet front, but in moderation, as a treat here and there, I see no harm in it. The thing is, many people believe they have to give up everything they love. That's not always true. If you can give it up that's great, if not, reduce those portions of unhealthy foods and use them as a reward system. Biking is a great exercise and I'm sorry to hear about your injury. I hope you recover soon and if you need anything give us a shout. Thanks for joining!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hey, my name is Lois, I am from South Carolina, I am hoping to lose 25 lbs. I need the motivation to help me also.
    I started back walking this morning at the YMCA.
    Feel free to add me, as I could use the help also.

Thanks for letting me join.

Welcome to the group Lois! South Carolina is a beautiful state and I love the beach there. I can't wait to visit there again. 25 pounds is a good goal and something you can reach. Walking at the YMCA is a great idea and a fantastic way to start the day. We are all here to lend a helping hand and to motivate one another. Some of us may not be able to always help, but I will personally do what I can to make the journey easier for you. People may ask why I'm doing this, but it isn't about me. It's about us working together to reach a common goal for the greater good. Best of luck on your road to success. We believe in you!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hello- My name is Eliza and my goal is to start living again. My husband and I lost our daughter five years ago and since then our lives have been at a standstill. We really haven't been living,but just surviving. Trying to get through each day without feeling any pain. After a frank conversation about how we are not honoring our daughter's memory by just surviving, we have adopted the motto "get busy living, or get busy dying". (Side note, that is the best movie ever). So we have committed to getting healthy again, and to start doing things outside our comfort zone. My dream is to lose 125lbs and to rock a bikini for the first time in my life. :)

Have a great week!
    -Eliza

Hello Eliza and welcome to the group. A Doctor Who fan. Very nice. I am so sorry to hear about your loss and I can't even imagine or pretend to understand the pain you and your husband have experienced. I will keep you in my heart and in my prayers that you will find peace. The emotional impact of something of that magnitude must be hard. It takes a strong person to get through something like that. I am glad you are trying to get life back together and support one another on your journey. Your daughter is looking down on you and cheering for both of you. Make her proud!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hiya, Suzanne here and I'm starting again:) had a bit of a setback from 2013 but I'm ready to lose my 100lbs total goal and be able to take pictures of me cringe free. I'm in New Jersey and have struggled up and down with weight since 9 years old. Some major medical issues always hold me back and the negative ones around me :( I've kicked the negative to the curb and am moving on and 'downward' again. Just walking for now but it's a start, it's always the time when I get home from work that kills me with snacking.

Welcome to the group Suzanne! How are things in New Jersey? I hope all is well. I understand how you feel about pictures. I ALWAYS volunteer to take them so I don't have to be in them, lol. 100 pounds is a goal that will require work, but I know you can do it with the right support system. I too am on one of those 100 pound journeys, but we can walk that road together if you like. Walking is better than doing nothing and I'm proud of you for shedding the negatives in your life. Now, let's replace those with some positives and you will be set. I always keep a fruit basket full of goodies to keep from finding something else I will regret eating later. I don't even bring chips and the like in the house anymore. Yogurt is a good alternative. Light yogurts have roughly 90 calories, a source of calcium, and a variety of flavors. Stay focuses and dedicated. Good luck!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kathy and I live in Kernersville, NC with my husband. I'm pushing 50, but age is just a number. I'm a yo-yo'er. I stay on track for a while, then fall off. My hubby is very supportive -- he's lost about 25 pounds over the last few months -- but I know the importance of having a network of friends to help encourage them and for them to encourage me. Feel free to add me a friend so we can help each other along the way. I'm closer to my goal weight than I used to be. Over the last few years I've lost almost 50 pounds. Wow, it's easy to forget how I used to be. My BMI says I still need to lose 28 pounds but my goal is to be down 11 more pounds. Depending how I feel/look I'll either stay there to keep working in it.

Hello Kathy from North Carolina! My mother's name is Kathy spelled the same way! 50 years old isn't bad at all. You still have a lot of great years ahead of you. Yo-yoing is tough, but I see many people do it. It has to be frustrating. Having a supportive spouse makes a huge difference as you can both work together on creating a menu that is beneficial to both. 50 pounds is an incredible amount of weight and you should be very proud of that. BMI is a very general thing, but each of us are different. 11 pounds will hopefully be a great place where you feel great and satisfied. We are here for you. Thanks for joining!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi everybody! My name is Sam and I'm a 31 year old wife and mother of a two year old daughter, from Cincinnati, Ohio. I am 4 years post-op from a sleeve gastrectomy and while I did great for a while, I have somehow managed to get close to pre-surgery weight. I'm ready to get back to a comfortable and healthy weight. I seem to get easily discouraged and give up so being in a group with people who will help me when I'm low and cheer for me when I'm doing well is what I need. I'm happy to be the same for all of you!

Feel free to add me - the more the merrier!!

Hi Sam and welcome to the group. I've noticed there are a few folks here from the Ohio area. That's pretty cool. It is easy to get discouraged at times, but with the right support your spirits will be lifted and you will feel more motivated. 40 pounds is something you can achieve and never doubt yourself for a minute. Doubt is the enemy and we don't have time for all that. We must stay positive, strong, and focused on our goals. We are here for you and believe in you!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hey There! I'm Misty and live in Dallas, where everything (portion sizes) and myself are bigger in Texas! ;) I am out to make a healthy lifestyle change to be a better example for my family. I have a 2.5 year old son and 11 month old daughter. It's time to not crop myself out of photos with them and to be the change I want to see in the world. The husband is supportive but not looking to lose weight, so having support from those with similar goals will be motivating for me!

I've used myfitnesspal for a 3 weeks now and am down over 7 pounds with it, plus an additional 3 from prior to using it (10 total!). I hope to lose at least 50--taking into consideration health and body tone.

Let's do this!

Hello Misty and welcome! I think you might be the first one to join from Texas. Congratulations! I'm certain you have your hands full with the two young ones, but they are worth every minute. Congratulations on your family! It's great that your husband in supportive and hopefully that will be a huge plus for you. 7 pounds is a great start and you are already 14 percent of the way to 50. Not bad at all. I'm here for you and I'm sure others are too. Be strong and stay on track. Best of luck!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi. My name is Kelly. I have recently changed positions at work and now do far less walking than I used to. I also have a desk. So I find that I'm snacking more. So this morning I said enough! I went to the store and got fruit and vegetables. When I got home I got on the treadmill! I walked 1/2 mile in 10 minutes and plan on sound that 2 more times today. My plan is to work up to 30 minutes in increments. Glad I found this group!

Hello Kelly and welcome to our group! You brought up a good point about how a position change at work can really impact our dieting. Nice job on getting fruits and veggies. Fresh is always best and that's much better than consuming those empty calories. Have you thought about yogurt for a source of calcium? Light yogurt only has around 90 calories and you can always add fruit too! Nice work on the treadmill. Proactive is a great way to look at things. You will make it and we are here for you!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi Everyone!!

My name is Maddy, I am 23 and from Indiana. I am looking to lose 30-40lbs by Halloween, and I started about two weeks ago. I joined MFP mobile, and didn't know that it had a community until I did some googling about questions I have been having regarding caloric intake! I was excited to find the community, because I have been too embarrassed about the state of my body to reach out to friends and family for support. I am losing the weight because I am due to be engaged this year and want to be all foxy in my pictures, and on a deeper level, feel great about myself again. I used to have such high self esteem, but it has dropped so low with the amount of weight I have gained!

I have been dedicated already to logging and watching my diary, and I hope to keep it up. If anyone wants to "friend" me on here, I will accept you all!

Cheers!

Maddy! It's great to have you with us and representing Indiana. 30-40 pounds by Halloween is doable. I've lost 38 in a little over 2 months. Congratulations on the engagement and I hope it is one of the best days of your life. You can get that self-esteem back and we will help you to stay on track and and feel good about yourself. You already look great from the picture you posted so you have no worries about not looking foxy. We are here to support you and I thank you for giving us the opportunity to help you on your journey. Be strong, stay focused, and work hard. You can do it!
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Wow, what a great bunch of people and goals!

i'm Doug. I have the the usual goals of losing weight (60 lbs), being a good dad, husband, and staying around longer for the kids, but then ... I am going to bicycle a century. That is 100 miles in one day. And I am working towards my early adult weight of 170-180 lbs, but only 10% body fat. At 60yo it is a little more difficult, certainly not impossible.

My kids have special needs and as slow as the d@mn state moves, I HAVE to stay around longer to see them situated as adults. The avatar is a Labrador pup we got to train as a service dog for one son. the training is coming along very well..

Please do add me as a friend. we need all the support we can get!

Hello Doug and welcome to the group! 60 pounds is achievable and I have faith you will get there. In regards to being a good dad and husband, it sounds like you already have that taken care of. 100 miles! Wow... That sounds tough, but a worthy goal to reach. You can get there, just be patient. Patience is the key, but I'm sure you are already well aware of that. Your children are special regardless of their needs. All children are. I commend you for your efforts and dedication to your family. That says a lot about your character. I have a yellow lab and your avatar is absolutely adorable! I love animals. I'm here for you , Sir. Be strong and never give up! :)
  • bhicks014
    Options
    Hi Everyone! My name is Noelani. I live in Richlands NC. 48 years old, married to a farmer. I have a stressful job as a prison administrative officer. So this is about the umpteenth time I have gone back to MFP to start logging my food consumption. After many attempts to stick with MFP and a lifestyle change, I am still at what I consider to be a miserable weight. I don't know how to retrain my brain. I know that it is more about putting your mind in the right place, being determined enough to make it happen and strong enough to resist bad habits. My biggest issue is that I hate vegetables and any seafood or fish. I love the veggies that go into salad, but don't want to eat it every day. I hate greens, most squash, beans and peppers. I have decided to take baby steps. Today, I stopped at the grocery store and bought the ingredients for a pork, chicken and beef meals all supposed to be low in calories. I have decided to try and give up boxed carbs like crackers, cookies, pasta but will continue to eat breads and potatoes in moderation. At least until I can find a way to introduce other foods that i would not normally eat. I have reached a big achievement in that I have started drinking fruit smoothies every morning. Before, I never ate breakfast. Now, I have a smoothie made of yogurt, fresh fruit and milk. I am in my second week of smoothies. Tomorrow, I m adding Kale to the smoothie. So, Hooray! I have figured out how to add a green vegetable to my diet. My next goal is to add back walking. Something I will do for a while then back off of for some excuse or another. I know that exercise is the key! All I want to lose is 12-15 lbs. and then maintain.

Hello Noelani and welcome to the group! It's great that you have decided to give us a chance to support you on your journey. I think we have another person from NC on the board. Fruit smoothies are a great way to start the day and I'm thinking of trying that myself. Good idea about adding the Kale to it. I wouldn't have thought of that. Pasta is a weakness for me and virtually all Italian cuisine. 12-15 pounds is a good goal and I'm certain you will get there. We are here to help you on your journey. Be strong and work hard. I think those pounds may come off quick if you stick to it. Thanks for joining and good luck!
  • ObeseVeteran
    Options
    Hows everyone been doing today? Lost my job but I will get through this. Decided to see how everyone else is doing :) Lost my first 3lb on first week weigh ins so at least theres that!
  • Beth5611
    Beth5611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello! My name is Beth. I'm 32 and from Ohio. About two years ago, I was at my highest weight of 212. Over the last two years, I dropped to 130, now back up to around 140. I enjoy running, but work/daughter/school has made it tough to make the time recently. I have been using MFP for years as a food tracker, but now I am in need of someone to hold me accountable for my food and exercise, so I thought I would finally venture into the MFP community. Being 5'3, I would like to be around 120, but the ultimate goal is just to be healthy.

Feel free to add me!
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Aw thanks!! The picture I posted was me at my goal weight. I keep it there for self motivation and good feels. :P im glad to join the group!! Yay!