Getting sleeved today

2»

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Set a timer for 5 min, sip, 5 min, sip. Seems silly but right now your only job is hydration and walking.
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Thanks for all your kind words... 1st day post-op. Got home about 4 hours ago... Took a nap and got up and walked... Still having a hard time getting fluids down. I'm worried I won't be able to take n enough... I brought six of the isopure drinks since they are thin and have 40g of protein per bottle but can't get much of that down... They only thing I seem able to remotely tolerate is warm tea ( and even with that just a few sips here and there)... Any suggestions??? Did anyone else go through this?

I had a hard time the first few days, mostly due to nausea. I could NOT drink the isopure, or have popsicles or anything sweet. I drank a lot of pho broth (vietnamese broth), protein chicken soup, and warm tea. It was only for a few days and then I was able to drink more and get more protein in. I am now 2 weeks post-op and I can drink easily, way more than a sip at a time.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    The pain in the shoulder is a "referred pain", meaning that it originates from elsewhere in the body. It comes from the carbon dioxide gas that is introduced into the abdomen through the belly button. The surgeon does this to distend the belly and make it easier to visualize the structures inside the abdomen. At the end of the surgery, the gas is allowed to escape, but it is impossible to get all of it out. Often it gets trapped under the diaphragm, and that causes the pain. Walking, moving are helpful, but really, until you pass it or the body absorbs it, you kind of just have to tough it out. Fortunately it doesn't last very long. I think I had it for about 8 hours after surgery, and it gradually went away.

Thank You Karen, for explaining this.
    I have an appt on 8/26 presumably to meet w/ the surgeon and finalize the last of the details etc etc
    Im super excited yet soooo nervous, especially as time goes by & its seems to be dragging on (last time I was in there was more than 2 months ago during my last weigh in).
    Im not as worried about the surgery itself since Ive had different surgeries during my younger yrs but more so about ALL of the does & donts for "after."
    Any other surgeries that Ive been through before Never carried any kind of food issues afterwards...mainly as I could tolerate eating (usually being extremely nauseous right after coming out & then fine a day or so later).
    I just don't want to mess this up :ohwell:
    I have heard others mention a tightness in their abdomen presumably from built up air/gas.
    Does this (ever) go away and how long does 1 have it?
    What about the rest of the discomfort...pains in the body?
    Thanks!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    So glad it all went well. I have a water bottle my surgeon gave me, it holds 28 ounces. I filled it and made it my goal to sip through one in the morning, one in the afternoon and one in the evening. I was lucky in the beginning to get one of them down! :laugh: It will get easier to drink as you heal and the swelling in your stomach goes down, just be patient and give it time.

Pat
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Hope.all went well.i got.my sleeve august 6th ADD.ME.ANYONE!!