I just started... and I am dead

Options
bregrig
bregrig Posts: 154 Member
Hey guys,

Thanks for those of you that have pointed me to this group... it is very helpful and informative.

I just started Crossfit last week... and I am barely getting through the WODs. Of course they are scaled for me because I have yet to perfect a strict pull-up, let alone a kipping pull-up.

I guess my question is, if I am going 5x a week and doing mobility work etc, how long does it take to see some gains: both strength and endurance..? I know this varies for everyone, and especially has to do with how hard you are working, but I'd like to know what you guys have experienced. And how often did you guys work on your lifts and such outside of the structured WODs?

Thanks!

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    There was a thread here earlier that was pretty spot on.

It was something like eight weeks and you'll notice a difference. Eight more and your significant other will notice. Eight more and random people will notice.

I'll also add that your weight might not be dropping but your body will be recomposing itself. I've been doing it for a year and am down about 30lbs mainly because I haven't locked down my diet.

Maintaining my intensity and getting my diet on track is my focus for the rest of the year.

Enjoy and don't be afraid to back off if five days is too much. I'm 44 and I usually can handle four days now but it used to be 3 days max. I'd exercise on the other days but would not do Crossfit.
  • bregrig
    Options
    Yeah I did 5 days last week and I am not myself. Not sure if my calories aren't enough, or I am not stretching enough, or overtraining, but I may scale back to 3-4x and just do mobility and light cardio on off days. What do you do on non-crossfit days for activity?
  • okulyd
    okulyd Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Its a new activity for your body. Give yourself at least a month to get used to it. I started in Dec with a intro class that was 3 times per week just beginners for two weeks. This was good because it was with all people who were new and there was extra attention paid by the coaches to our form and stuff. Then after that we all "graduated" and got to go to the regular classes. We were told specifically not to go 5 times per week. 2-3 times was recommended. I went 3 times and that was good until I was able to get more familiar with the movements and build my endurance. I go 5 times per week now but it took me going regularly for 3 months before I was able to work up to 5 times per week.

First month focus on learning the lifts, technique, form, etc...
    2nd month you should be noticing that you are getting in better shape and can complete the workouts.
    3rd month add the heavy weight. You should see lots of personal records (PRs).
    4th month you should be able to RX some of the WODs.

Everyone is different your progress may be different that what I wrote above but you get the idea.
  • bregrig
    Options
    Its a new activity for your body. Give yourself at least a month to get used to it. I started in Dec with a intro class that was 3 times per week just beginners for two weeks. This was good because it was with all people who were new and there was extra attention paid by the coaches to our form and stuff. Then after that we all "graduated" and got to go to the regular classes. We were told specifically not to go 5 times per week. 2-3 times was recommended. I went 3 times and that was good until I was able to get more familiar with the movements and build my endurance. I go 5 times per week now but it took me going regularly for 3 months before I was able to work up to 5 times per week.

2nd month you should be noticing that you are getting in better shape and can complete the workouts.

Everyone is different your progress may be different that what I wrote above but you get the idea.

thanks so much for the advice! I cannot wait to Rx a WOD!
  • BennettV72
    Options
    I started at the beginning of June and went from my couch to On-Ramp, which was 4 times a week. After that, we've gone about 3 times a week. I definitely notice a big change from when I started (with the strength...metcon still sucks bad for me) but I started with zero strength.

I had to up my calories quite a bit to sustain my energy. I had been doing 1200 (I'm 5'2") and now am at 1800 on Crossfit days, 1500 on rest days. I'm losing weight pretty slowly but I am losing inches pretty fast and steadily.

I will look forward to Rx'ing the WODs with you! I know it's a longer way off for me, but I'm seeing so many PRs now (because that's easy when you start from nil) that it sure keeps me motivated.

Enjoy it!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm Rxing the weights but am still not doing strict pull ups after 10 months. Just do what you can and keep challenging yourself. Take it easy at first and work on technique and form.

On my non-CF days, I hike, do yoga, swim, and power lift/take Oly classes. If you want to get competition-level good at CF, I strongly believe you need add in additional strength work and oly work. If you just want general fitness, CF will do a good job for you.

I work on strength and core/gymnastics holds 3-5 hours per week outside of CF and also take a 2 hour olympic lifting class each week. I eat 2700 calories per day.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options

Don't worry about RXing WODs. You'll get there when you're ready, you can't put a timescale on it.

I've been going 8 months and I can occasionally RX weights but definitely not all the time and I can't RX a lot of the skills.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options

Don't worry about RXing WODs. You'll get there when you're ready, you can't put a timescale on it.

I've been going 8 months and I can occasionally RX weights but definitely not all the time and I can't RX a lot of the skills.

This is really good advice. My coach once said that in a normal class only 20% of people should be able to do the RX weight.

To the OP; you might be risking burnout by doing CF 5x a week right off the bat. Don't be afraid to listen to your body and back off when necessary.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Yeah I did 5 days last week and I am not myself. Not sure if my calories aren't enough, or I am not stretching enough, or overtraining, but I may scale back to 3-4x and just do mobility and light cardio on off days. What do you do on non-crossfit days for activity?

Probably a combination of all of the above. You are just getting started so you'll get it figured it out soon enough.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I have been going for about 9 months and I am just now RXing MOST of the WODs. 5 times a week seems pretty intense to me! Maybe because I also do other activity outside of that.

But, if you're feeling dead trying bumping up the calories.

I know when I start something new like that my body goes through "breakdown" phase that typically lasts about a month. I always just make sure I eat enough, hydrate enough and SLEEP enough. It's all about the recovery. Maybe try every other day and see if your body feels stronger?
  • bregrig
    Options
    I have been going for about 9 months and I am just now RXing MOST of the WODs. 5 times a week seems pretty intense to me! Maybe because I also do other activity outside of that.

I know when I start something new like that my body goes through "breakdown" phase that typically lasts about a month. I always just make sure I eat enough, hydrate enough and SLEEP enough. It's all about the recovery. Maybe try every other day and see if your body feels stronger?

That's helpful to know. I think I have always had the mindset of 'oh I can perfect this skill after a few times of practice' when in reality crossfit is a sport that needs a lot of work and dedication and time and commitment to be able to do the exercises with correct form and perhaps an Rx. This helps put things in the bigger picture that it is ok it takes time to be able to do these exercises and I don't have to or am expected to be perfect after only a week. I definitely need more sleep too!
  • ashlando
    ashlando Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Diet and sleep play a huge role when it comes to performance and recovery. Make sure you are getting 7-8 hours a night!

You will notice a difference in your strength almost right away. I definitely felt stronger within just a few short weeks of starting foundations. I don't think you'll notice endurance gains until you are a few months in. Keep note of your workouts and times, especially benchmark WODs (Annie, Fran, Filthy Fifty, Cindy, etc). That is where you will see a huge difference in strength and endurance as your times get shorter. My box uses Beyond the Whiteboard but you can always just keep a notebook (or note it on your phone).

People have been working to perfect their form on the Olympic lifts for years! There is always room for improvement there no matter how long you've been crossfitting/lifting. Keep at it - form will come with time.
  • kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

That's helpful to know. I think I have always had the mindset of 'oh I can perfect this skill after a few times of practice' when in reality crossfit is a sport that needs a lot of work and dedication and time and commitment to be able to do the exercises with correct form and perhaps an Rx. This helps put things in the bigger picture that it is ok it takes time to be able to do these exercises and I don't have to or am expected to be perfect after only a week. I definitely need more sleep too!

I have been doing crossfit for about two months now. And it never gets easier, you just get stronger. It does take time for your body to adjust to this type of workout. I'm continuously sore everyday! LOL! And I go about 4-5 days a week to get my money's worth. I do not RX because I am not interested in competition. I am really just there for the awesome workout; and I'm okay with that. It is all up to what your goals are. The foam rollers are a lifesaver for me. Especially on my quads!

Good Luck!!
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am going to reiterate what the others have been saying.
    Slow down your expectations! Nobody is a master in a day. Nobody is a master in a month.
    You will see gains and improvement. How fast you see it may depend on how fit you were before you began Crossfit.
    What to do on off days? I do all kinds of things. I might suggest any easy jog and some stretching -- especially stretching and rolling.
    I'm pretty new. I think I might -- might -- have seen some gradual -- gradual! -- improvement at one month. That is not to say that I could do a muscle up, or a double-under, or 20-kipping pull-ups. But, it is to say that I think I began to be able to try to do the WODs fast and well, instead of just trying to get through them.
    I am still almost always last in the WODs in my gym, or pretty close to last, anyway.
    But, the better you get the more fun it becomes.
  • marykellymires
    marykellymires Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the crossfit fam!

I've been crossfitting for 13 months. I have yet to get even a kipping pull up, but I Rx most WODS. Rxing didn't happen for months though, and I still can't RX every WOD. Definitely focus on skills for now and just do your best. Don't push it too quickly with weights, otherwise you could get injured. Definitely make sure you're eating enough, and definitely eat at least 90 minutes before your workout, even if it's just a handful of almonds or some protein powder and water. If I don't eat something I feel like total crap during WODs. Don't go crazy about 5 days at first either. Listen to your body.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    As your muscle groups start to be used more you will find they are less sore and you can do more WODs.

It took me 6-8 months to get here but I can say now that I am a lot less sore post-WOD than I used to be. I can often feel that I've done something, but the being unable to walk, sit down on the toilet etc. hasn't happened in a while.

I don't eat before WODs, as it makes me feel pukey, but everyone is different.
  • MDLNH
    MDLNH Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I have been CrossFitting now over 2 years and stil haven't been able to Rx several workouts. A lot of it has to do with my age (43) and the previous wear & tear on my body (knees, shoulders, etc.) defintely effects my performance . . . But the gains I have made are amazing to me and I continue to push myself to be better, stronger and faster. The best part is that I know that I am not alone at my box nor in these forums. And yeah, I've been the last person to finish to the loudest cheers :-) I am extremely happy and proud of the changes that I seen in myself, both physically and mentally. I've also leaned to eat better/cleaner and listen to my body better. I tell people that CrossFit has saved my life.

So bottom line - The changes will come, listed to your coaches, scaled will become Rx and you'll always have the 1 or 2 (maybe 3) elements that you'll always struggle to compete - Be patient and most importantly .... Never give up !!!

*When not CrossFitting, I compete in triathlons and have noticed huge performance increases in all 3 phases (swim, bike & run) . . . faster times, better endurance, less sore/tired muscles and faster post-race recovery. All of which are the result of CrossFit.
  • allykat0320
    allykat0320 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    QUOTED_ Don't worry about RXing WODs. You'll get there when you're ready, you can't put a timescale on it.

[/quote]

This is really good advice. My coach once said that in a normal class only 20% of people should be able to do the RX weight.

To the OP; you might be risking burnout by doing CF 5x a week right off the bat. Don't be afraid to listen to your body and back off when necessary.
    [/quote]

END QUOTE
    Sorry, not sure what I did wrong, but it didn't correctly quote the above from another poster. :)

Well said. Maybe you shouldn't focus on Rx-ing right off the bat- focus on form, function, and listening to your body. When I started I only started at 2-3 days per week and now go on average 5 days a week.

It may also be helpful to supplement with some light yoga to help stretch and lengthen.

I can Rx some of the weights after 7 months, but definitely not every WOD.

Try not to get caught up in what others are doing- the camaraderie, support, and confidence you get from Crossfit will eventually become more important to you than the white board, at least that's when it all clicked for me. It took me a few months to learn that. Once you do, your performance will improve and you'll feel free! That's when gains will come.
  • JoeMO
    JoeMO Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the OP for the question and all the answers. I was wondering many of the same things. I was losing 10-15 a month and the last month I've been doing the Crossfit, I've lost 1. Joe I finished the WOD the other day in 70 minutes. Most others were done in 1/2 that time and mine was super modified, but thanks to my instructors patience, I finished.
  • chelsfelt
    chelsfelt Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I just started beginners classes about 2 months ago, and have been WODing for 6 weeks. In the first month, I went 3 times a week and focused purely on technique. I didn't add weight to anything I felt uncomfortable with, and I listened to my body when it was sore and took days off. I started going 4 days a week consistantly when I felt a bit more comfortable and wasn't as horribly sore as I had been in the beginning. I started very slowly and cautiously adding weight to lifting skills I felt comfortable with, but never tried to push it.

This is the end of my 7th week, and only now did I start really trying to push myself to add heavier weight, and still only on skills like squats/deadlifts that are fairly easy to keep good form on. As far as Oly lifts like cleans and snatches, I still add weight very verrrryyyyy slowly and still focus mostly on technique since they are such strange new movements for me and I don't want to hurt myself.

I wouldn't recommend going 5 days a week in the beginning. I keep wanting to go 5 days a week but on either wednesday or thursday I usually wake up and my body tells me not to go work out so I don't. On days off I do really long stretching sessions, light upper body workouts with stretch bands, yoga, and jogging. I try not to push myself on days off, and save myself for the WODs. I also moved up from 1300 to 1700 calories during my first several weeks, and I felt an immediate change in energy.

My biggest BIGGEST advice as a newbie crossfitter is DRINK A HUGE AMOUNT OF WATER and SLEEP AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. These two things play the biggest part in recovery for athletes. My coaches told me to drink my body weight in ounces of water (I weigh 128lbs so I drink 128oz of water per WOD day) and to get at least 8 hours of sleep per night.

Don't worry about the scale, because you'll be gaining muscle and burning fat, so you might not see numbers change there, but you'll notice a difference in how you look and especially how you feel. I haven't lost a pound but I have these new little ridges on the sides of my abs that look pretty sweet, and I just squatted over 100lbs for the first time this week which made me feel like a badass. I also still finish last in WODs but I finish close to the next person, not too far behind, which also makes me feel like a badass. Find little gains here and there, and don't get discouraged. Just keep going, keep listening to your body and your coaches, and you'll see definite results... and you'll get addicted, which makes it more fun than anything and kinda makes the changes in body a secondary benefit.

Also feel free to friend me :)