But what if I want to do all 5 exercises 3x a week?

Options
I feel like only doing some exercises once a week, and the others only twice a week isn't enough. Does anyone do all 5 exercises 3x a week? Or is this too much stress on the muscles?

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Too much. Especially when it gets heavier. It seems like it isn't enough but check out the progress pics thread, the proof is there.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Rest is a huge part of progress. Doing all 5 exercises every workout doesn't let your body recover well enough. Especially when you get into the heavier weights.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It would be too much. The program works to gain strength because of the progressive overload AND the rest. You are adding 5lbs to every lift and 10lbs to DL each workout, if no fails. It did not seem easy to me at first, but I have never followed a lifting program. Just more or less moved weights around periodically without any plan. I feel it all over and love the simplicity of the program. I know that 3 times a week, I will get 5 lifts in and feel it everywhere. I've finally realized that with lifting, patience is the key.

Maybe if you are a more experienced lifter, you could add in accessory work? Plenty of the women in this group do.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Think about it this way if you need a more "visual" picture. OHP works pretty much the same muscle as the bench press, only in a different plane of movement.

The deadlift is an upper body pull and a lower body push. Your back will get sore. You don't need rows.

If you feel like 3 exercises isn't enough, add in some accessory moves but don,t go 5x5 on all. You can look up Ice cream Fitness' 5x5 program, which is essentially SL with accessory. But be warned it's high volume and REALLY tiring. You won't be able to eat at a deficit and make very much progress on it.
  • IllustratedxGirl
    IllustratedxGirl Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info everyone. Where can I read more about taking breaks and when to add weight?
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    stronglifts.com...