Fitbit and running

Hello

I have a question regarding my Fitbit and MFP. I am a runner and I use my Fitbit to track the steps to put in MFP. I am not losing weight. Should I take it off during my runs and log those manually and just use the FITBIT to track my other action during the day. I am getting frustrated with not losing any weight and have a deficit every day. Should I not eat back my exercise calories? Example, my calories were set at 1200 a day and my calorie intake was 1326 and I exercise calories of 878. Should I have still kept it under 1200 and ignored the exercise calories or am I not eating enough.

Sorry so long
Dawn

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Don't eat under 1200 calories.

How much weight do you have to lose? What is your MFP set to (lose 2 pounds/week, 1 pound, etc.)?
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Maybe I read this wrong, but was your total intake 1326 and you exercised for 878 meaning that your intake after exercise was only 448 calories or was your total intake the 1326 + 878 (2,204)? If the former that is WAY too low and if the latter perhaps too high. Personally I don't eat back much in the way of exercise calories. I know that many do and doing so probably leads to quicker loss.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 223 Member
    Hello

I have a question regarding my Fitbit and MFP. I am a runner and I use my Fitbit to track the steps to put in MFP. I am not losing weight. Should I take it off during my runs and log those manually and just use the FITBIT to track my other action during the day. I am getting frustrated with not losing any weight and have a deficit every day. Should I not eat back my exercise calories? Example, my calories were set at 1200 a day and my calorie intake was 1326 and I exercise calories of 878. Should I have still kept it under 1200 and ignored the exercise calories or am I not eating enough.

Sorry so long
    Dawn
    Did you set it for 1200, or was that the starting allowance MFP came up for you when you plugged in your loss goal and activity level? The reason I ask, MFP calculates that by estimating what someone with your stats might burn at a given activity level (sedentary, lightly active, active and very active) with no exercise. Then it subtracts the goal deficit (for your chosen weekly rate of loss) and sets the resulting number as your starting allowance. Oh, 1200 is MFP's minimum, so if that is where you started chances are either your activity level is set too low or your deficit too high... Any calories you burn above the MFP activity level are added for you to eat in your fitbit adjustment, MFP's plan is that the deficit should be deducted pre exercise (unless that would put your allowance below 1200, then it just sets you for a slower rate of loss than you asked for), so you do eat extra activity calories. What activity level are you set and what weekly rate of loss? I would suggest raising your activity level by one, if you are normally seeing these adjustments (you could by 2-3 levels maybe if this is usual but i think it is often a good idea to be a little conservative with the level). Raising the level would give you a little more of the deficit you requested and would cause fewer calories to be added back in your adjustment. I don't really find my Fitbit One to overestimate activity--but it may depend on your device, your settings and whether you are wearing it according to the instructions.
  • dawnwilhelm
    dawnwilhelm Posts: 2 Member
    I have my MFP set to lose 1.5 lbs a week. It set me at 1200 calories a day. Here is yesterday's stats: Calorie Goal 1200, Food Recorded 1326, exercise was 603 calories. So it was 1200 -1326 +603 = 477 calories remaining at the end of the day. Am I eating too much or not enough? This is really confusing to me.

Thanks
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    I have my MFP set to lose 1.5 lbs a week. It set me at 1200 calories a day. Here is yesterday's stats: Calorie Goal 1200, Food Recorded 1326, exercise was 603 calories. So it was 1200 -1326 +603 = 477 calories remaining at the end of the day. Am I eating too much or not enough? This is really confusing to me.

Thanks

First, I just looked at your profile, which says you have 11 pounds to lose. If this is correct, you need to change your goal to lose 0.5 pounds per week. The less you have to lose, the slower it is going to be. It sucks to think you're going to move so slow, but it is better in the long run.

Second, you need to eat at least part of those exercise calories back. Your equation should equal 1200 or extremely close to 1200. You should not aim to net less than 1200 calories per day.