New bike - thoughts

Options
Kupe
Kupe Posts: 758 Member
I am currently riding a 2009 Giant Tcr adv 1 with full ultegra and am contemplating getting a new bike. The dilema that I am currently having is, is it worth getting the 2015 version of the same bike or look at the 2105 Defy adv pro 1 with the disk brakes.

The reading that I have been doing seems that the Tcr is going to have a complete rebuild with the 2016 model while the Defy is the new rebuild. Also I am wondering how soon disk brakes on race geometery road bikes are going to come into play.

What is it like to ride with a 34/50 - 11/28 configuration?

Also open for any other suggestions on bike brands in the AU$3500-$4000 range.

Replies

• Kupe
    Options
    Edited for spelling....

I am currently riding a 2009 Giant Tcr adv 1 with full ultegra and am contemplating getting a new bike. The dilemma that I am currently having is, is it worth getting the 2015 version of the same bike or look at the 2105 Defy adv pro 1 with the disk brakes. I know that there is the different geometry and therefore a different ride feel.

The reading that I have been doing seems that the Tcr is going to have a complete rebuild with the 2016 model while the Defy is the new rebuild. Also I am wondering how soon disk brakes on race geometry road bikes are going to come into play.

What is it like to ride with a 34/50 - 11/28 configuration?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    I guess my first question is why are you thinking about a new bike? Is there something wrong with your current ride? Have your goals changed?
  • Kupe
    Options
    No, just being a brat. Plus the financial controler gave me permission. As the saying goes 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends what kind of riding you do?

The Defy is labelled as an endurance bike, so it will probably bit a bit more comfy, a more relaxed fit, comes with wider tires and disc brakes etc. The TCR is more race oriented, so more aggressive riding position, perhaps twitchier handling?

Unless you are riding in the rain a lot I'm not sure of the value of discs over rim brakes? If you're racing then I guess the TCR might be the way to go. If you mainly do long rides/sportives then the Defy probably fits the bill better.

In terms of drivetrain, depends on your terrain. If all your rides are in the flatlands then you may be better off with an 11-25 or even an 11-23. If you ride hills and mountains all the time then 50/34 and 11-28 is a good combination. I live in a hilly/mountainous area and just changed from a 50/34 11-28 setup (which was ok) to a 52/36 11-32 setup which is the bomb, giving me more top and bottom end range without any huge gaps.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    No, just being a brat. Plus the financial controler gave me permission. As the saying goes 'Never look a gift horse in the mouth'.
    :lol: In that case 'GO FOR IT!'

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    $3500 puts you into just about any brand and just about any segment - race, endurance, gravel, performance, comfort, cross, whatever this year's names are for them.

Do you want an upgraded/newer version of what you've already got, or do you want something a little different? Is keeping your current bike an option? i.e. will the head of household allow you to keep 2 bikes?
  • GrindGravel
    GrindGravel Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Since others have already asked about what kind of riding you plan to do with the bike, I'll leave that question alone until you respond.

As for what it's like to ride with a 34/50 - 11/28 configuration, I'm assuming you are riding a 53/39 - 12-25 now? The 50/34 is a nice all around gear especially if you are not someone who races, or does faster group rides. Hill climbing is made a bit easier, but on long stretches of flats you will be spinning a bit more. But, it may be worth the trade off on those long and rolling rides.

For me I am old school and run the 53/39 since that is what I am used to, and the hills around here are not that bad. However, I have thought about switching when I finally upgrade my cranks to a 52/36 as a nice compromise given my age, fitness, and the riding I do. This also may be something you would want to look into as an option as well.
  • Kupe
    Options
    Jacks - already have 2 bikes and will be allowed with the new bike to make it 3 :smile: (lucky boy)

Melbourne is relatively flat, with rolling hills unless you go eastwards where there are some serious mountain climbs, as in they are high enough that there is snow in winter.

Most of my riding at this point is of the first type considering that I have 39/53 - 11/23. I am not climbing anything.

I am liking the combination of the 36/52 - 11/25 or 11/28

Still not convinced with the TCR, LBS has a Wielir Cento sr1, According to their website running full ultegra. I am going to have a look tomorrow. http://bicyclehq.com.au/wilier-cento-sr-ultegra/prod_2846.html

Alternatively there is another store which has Pinarello SDG(specific to Australia)http://pmcycles.com.au/pinarello_sdg_ultegra_6800_11_speed

I am more inclined to the Wielir though as the more information overload I do, I keep coming back nice frame which I can possibly keep longer than 5 years and just upgrade componentry
  • GrindGravel
    Options
    I have a 2013 Wilier Izoard XP Ultegra that I got new for a steal. It's not as nice as the Cento, but I love it. The bike rides like a dream.
  • Kupe
    Options
    Thanks Xbrizzax, nice to see someone who is already riding a Wilier give them a good recommendation. My luck is they won't have my size if I do decide to go ahead with it.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wilier makes a great bike. A mate of mine has a Cento Uno and it is a sexy looking bike. Makes my Cervelo R3 look frumpy!! It is a fairly racy setup though so you are quite stretched out. Good for racing but not so much for long rides/sportives perhaps?
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    It (Willier)is a fairly racy setup though so you are quite stretched out. Good for racing but not so much for long rides/sportives perhaps?

Most Italian Bikes are like that if you check the geometry - even the ones that are definitely targetted to the endurance / distance / comfort riding sort of thing like Bianchi Infinito's are still pretty long in the top-tube and low in the headtube compared to other bikes...

Though, if you've ever ridden any Italian Gran Fondo's you'd realise why... they're just a mass-start 3000 person road-race, and are ridden at pace accordingly. :laugh:
  • GrindGravel
    Options
    The Wilier Grand Turismo model is the one to get if you are going to do long rides/sportives. It's geometry is similar to a the Specialized Roubaix or Trek Madone. Their other models are definitely more aggressive, though I am very comfortable on my Izoard even with the spare carried around my waist.
  • sinker59
    sinker59 Posts: 130
    Options
    I love my Cervelo R3. It's a LOT faster than I am, yet a comfortable ride. I went with the 'lowly' 105 group, but I can't imagine better performance.
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,682 Member
    Options
    I must say though, that pinarello that Brett linked to, at the price offered looked to be hard to pass over...
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I built up a Titanium road bike with carbon rims and disk brakes. I did so because I really wanted the disks and carbon rims are just fair for braking, and quite poor in the wet. Even though they are a 1 lb weight penalty, they are worth it in stopping power when bombing down 35~40 mph descents.
  • Kupe
    Options
    Update - I eventually made the hard decision and parted with a big chunk of change and bought the Wilier Cento SR1. I took it for a spin albeit on a what we all thought was a medium frame and was thoroughly impressed. It was in fact a large frame.

Now like most things Italian, what they consider large and what is large is two different things. The dealership ordered a large frame, which according to the website is a 55.5 top tube. What was delivered was a large frame, 54 top tube. Luckily they hadn't built the bike yet and have ordered me a XL frame.

Unfortunately I will only be able to get fitted next Saturday as the boss from Sydney is in town next week, so no scooting off early.

I'll post pics once I have it in my possession.