Jerks at work

Options
homerismyhero
homerismyhero Posts: 204 Member
I kept the fact that I was having surgery quiet at work –prior too- just in case I was the person who had it and didn’t lose an ounce…..but after, when it became obvious I was losing weight and people asked- I was very open about the process. I work in an office environment in a management position, - in an insurance company no less- so the people I work with are mostly educated about the process, different options, outcomes. So it really surprised me when I signed up for charity 10K sponsored by my company – and got some really negative feedback. I’ve never run in this type of even before, but I now work out 4x a week and am in better shape – though still plenty fat- than many of my coworkers. The comments “that’s really far- you lost weight but this is different”, “that’s a lot of work and it’s next month- are you sure you want to do this with everyone”, “it’s a professional course, there will be real runners”. That one really got to me! I finally said “thanks for #$%^ing vote of confidence” Now I’m really determined- but also frustrated. There’s two hours to complete the 10K. Yesterday I did 5K at on the treadmill in 55 min- and have a training program that will have me upping my mileage on a street course and in the gym. I don’t run much- I walk most of it- but fast. I just needed to vent.

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I kept the fact that I was having surgery quiet at work –prior too- just in case I was the person who had it and didn’t lose an ounce…..but after, when it became obvious I was losing weight and people asked- I was very open about the process. I work in an office environment in a management position, - in an insurance company no less- so the people I work with are mostly educated about the process, different options, outcomes. So it really surprised me when I signed up for charity 10K sponsored by my company – and got some really negative feedback. I’ve never run in this type of even before, but I now work out 4x a week and am in better shape – though still plenty fat- than many of my coworkers. The comments “that’s really far- you lost weight but this is different”, “that’s a lot of work and it’s next month- are you sure you want to do this with everyone”, “it’s a professional course, there will be real runners”. That one really got to me! I finally said “thanks for #$%^ing vote of confidence” Now I’m really determined- but also frustrated. There’s two hours to complete the 10K. Yesterday I did 5K at on the treadmill in 55 min- and have a training program that will have me upping my mileage on a street course and in the gym. I don’t run much- I walk most of it- but fast. I just needed to vent.

Wow! What a bunch of yahoos! I would do my best to give an icy smile and say "Thanks for your input", then go and make darn sure that I was able to finish the race! Are these people who are running, or just sniping from the sidelines? I assume the latter. In a previous weight loss effort, I was running and ran a couple of 10Ks and the sense of satisfaction was huge!

Don't let them get you down, *even* if you end up not finishing in the allotted time. This is your life and your fitness efforts. Be proud and strong and carry yourself with your head held high!

Rob
  • homerismyhero
    Options
    Thanks Rob! I will finish! I hope in one hour, 45 min- but even if I'm the last one, and everything is beinng packed up and everyone is gone- I'll still finish- and yes, most of them signed up for the 3K fun run. No shame in that -but don't keep telling me that I can't/shouldn't be challenging myself. I hate running- hate it- the gym too- I hate all of it- I'd rather be knitting - really. But- if I don't keep challening myself and making new habits- then this surg will have been a waste.
  • katematt313
    katematt313 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    What a bunch of jerks!

Is the warning about "real runners" supposed to intimidate you, or suggest that you should be embarrassed if you don't complete the race the way you want to? BS!!

IMHO - go for the gold, just be aware of your body and its limitations (we all have those - post-op or not), and if for some reason you don't run the whole distance or don't complete in 2 hours, celebrate the accomplishment of doing it in the first place, focus on how far you've come. Frankly, who gives a crap if you try the race and don't succeed the first time?

That being said, don't hurt yourself. 5K is a big difference from 10K. One of my coworkers, who is in good shape, and was a regular runner at shorter distances, ended up with a stress fracture the first 10K race he ran. It had to do with inadequate training.

Good luck :)
  • rpyle111
    Options
    Thanks Rob! I will finish! I hope in one hour, 45 min- but even if I'm the last one, and everything is beinng packed up and everyone is gone- I'll still finish- and yes, most of them signed up for the 3K fun run. No shame in that -but don't keep telling me that I can't/shouldn't be challenging myself. I hate running- hate it- the gym too- I hate all of it- I'd rather be knitting - really. But- if I don't keep challening myself and making new habits- then this surg will have been a waste.

Go get 'em! You've got a huge cheering section out here.

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    You're right! Jerks! Yes this is a challenge, but that's the point of it and maybe that should be your answer. "Yes I know this is going to be a challenge, but that's what I wanted." That should shut them down!

I can do a lot more than I could 162 pounds ago and sometimes get frustrated with my kids who "assume" mom can only babysit, she can't help load the furniture into the truck (for example). Truth is, people are so used to seeing us as obese and unable to do much physically, that they have a harder time with accepting the changes than we do!

Go, race and enjoy the victory of finishing the course in whatever time you take! And then make sure to brag about finishing at work!

Pat
  • NashobaNJ
    NashobaNJ Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You had this surgery for YOU and YOUR health and wellbeing. Poo-poo on the negative Nelly comments. You have come a long way and will continue to do your best (which is all any of us can do) and if they don’t have the confidence in you who cares… because YOU do!! The road we picked isn't an easy one and I think that people in general think that any time of WLS is the 'easy way out' and therefore don't realize or want to understand that we have changed our entire way of thinking about food, fitness and ourselves.
  • homerismyhero
    Options
    Pat you made me laugh- because I would do anything not to load furniture on a truck! But I totaly understand what you're saying- and it's true- I think my coworkers have always looked at me as disabled when I was 325lbs. My family has been a little better- my brother in law is below the knee amputee- and does EVERYTHING- so even at my heaviest there was the expectation that if he was keeping up- so should I- and that helped a lot when I felt like I couldn't push myself. You are right- it is a challeng- and I think we all realize that we have to keep doing that - I think most people on the forum feel that surgery alone- is not enough- if you don't keep changing your life you won't have the success your seeking.
    Thank you all so mucy- I'm really, really, gratefull for the cheering squad- and the idea that all I have to do is finish- even if it's not in two hours - and even if all the "real runners" lol- finish faster with thier pony tails perfectly intact at the end.
  • rpyle111
    Options
    - and even if all the "real runners" lol- finish faster with thier pony tails perfectly intact at the end.

Most guys usually prefer finishing behind (but within sight) of these runners. :devil:
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing the 10k! I cannot even imagine being around people like those you described. Who says things like that??? Like others have said, you are doing this for you, and you WILL finish, whether it's two hours, or more, or less. It sounds like you are really committed to the whole process of surgery and doing what you need to do to be successful, so try to filter out the negative people and do what you want to do! You don't need to prove anything to anyone except yourself. You are seriously awesome for doing this!
  • katematt313
    Options
    You're right! Jerks! Yes this is a challenge, but that's the point of it and maybe that should be your answer. "Yes I know this is going to be a challenge, but that's what I wanted." That should shut them down!

I can do a lot more than I could 162 pounds ago and sometimes get frustrated with my kids who "assume" mom can only babysit, she can't help load the furniture into the truck (for example). Truth is, people are so used to seeing us as obese and unable to do much physically, that they have a harder time with accepting the changes than we do!

Go, race and enjoy the victory of finishing the course in whatever time you take! And then make sure to brag about finishing at work!

Pat

Don't volunteer to load the furniture into the truck! Are you crazy??!! ;)
  • pawoodhull
    Options

Pat

Of course I'm not crazy. They are dropping the kids off at my house on Saturday so the 5, 3 and 1 year olds can play out of the way of danger. But I could help load that truck if I wanted to because not much weighs as much as I've lost, so if I could carry that additional 162 around I can load it into a truck! :tongue:
  • pawoodhull
    Options
    - and even if all the "real runners" lol- finish faster with thier pony tails perfectly intact at the end.

Most guys usually prefer finishing behind (but within sight) of these runners. :devil:

There you go again! Being the hilarious guy you are! :laugh:
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Ignore the negative comments. You have made the choice to have a healthy life and you are doing it. That is what is important. You have set a goal to run this 10K. It is an ambitious goal, but what is the point of setting the goal if it is too easy? Even if you have to walk a little/some/all of the way, and even if you don't finish in 2 hrs-- you are out there doing it to the best of your ability and that is a SUCCESS!
  • BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    No matter what you are gonna always have people make such comments. Just use their comments as motivation to push you forward so you can show them exactly what you're made of.
  • katematt313
    Options

Pat

Of course I'm not crazy. They are dropping the kids off at my house on Saturday so the 5, 3 and 1 year olds can play out of the way of danger. But I could help load that truck if I wanted to because not much weighs as much as I've lost, so if I could carry that additional 162 around I can load it into a truck! :tongue:

Emphasis on "if I wanted to"!!!

I hate moving. Ugh.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    At 253 lbs I could powerwalk a 5 k in 48 min and did so regularly. At 180 lbs I did Galloway a 5k in 45 min. That is the run walk method. I have found that that works for me. I am 150lbs and trying to protect my joints. I suspect you will not have any trouble with finishing in 2 hrs even if you walk the whole thing. Be sure to take lots of photos. So you can look back at your progress. As for stress fractures I have seen thin people get stress fractures when they started to train and over did it. Just listen to your body. As obese people we have really thick bones from years of extreme wt bearing. Actual runners are usually extremely encouraging to overwt people taking control and challenging themselves. Sounds like the office guys are projecting their own insecurities on you. They think they would be embarrased to try so they are voicing that to you. Your health is being medically managed, ignore them.
  • homerismyhero
    Options
    You guys are the best! Trust me - no one is running behind me for the view- in fact, if they are behind me- they've got more to worry about than I do....I am doing the run/walk meathod- I think it's best all around- I still have too much boob bounce to run the whole time- and I kind of hate it anyway- but I do like that I can keep challenging myself with new things that I would not have dreamed to do even six months ago.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    What you will find is that everyone will cheer for you loudly until you get thinner or fitter than they are. Then they will become a bit insecure and/or jealous, which results in a little more passive aggressive behavior.

Keep doing what you're doing. Don't worry about what they think.

Smile, ignore and do your thing.

PS If you run for at least 30 seconds at a time on a regular basis, you've joined the ranks of "real runners."
  • homerismyhero
    Options
    You know Sunshine- I've just realized that- my friends have been great supporters from day one, even the ones that I've passed in weight loss- but some of the coworkers, I'm noticing some passive aggressive crap for sure. And I guess I am a "real" runner now!
  • claresta23
    claresta23 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Go out on the "Professional" Course and kick their "Professional" *kitten*! All you have to do is finish! It doesn't matter the position, just cross the finish line! They don't understand your journey and never will because they are not you. Please keep your head up and keep pushing.