Figuring out marathon pace

Options
maja124moxie
maja124moxie Posts: 14 Member
Hi all, I have joined a running group to train for December marathon. We are on the 10th week of training. Last Saturday we did a timed 10K run in order to estimate our marathon pace. I completed the run in 1 hr and 7 min. According to the Mcmillan calculator my Marathon pace should be 12 min. I feel like that may be too slow since the 10K run was performed at 90F weather and the race will probalby be in 40-50F. Should I stick with the 12 min pace or stay with the group I am in (11:15 pace)??
Thanks for the advice!!

Replies

• _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I think that if you've been training with the faster group for 10 weeks now without any trouble following them / following your training plan, you should stay with them!
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I agree with Josee. But as an added confidence booster, anyway you can do another timed run in November just to verify your pace just before the race?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think if you've been marathon training, you're not going to be running your best 10k. They're different events. It took me a few months of specific training after my first marathon to get my 10k time down to anywhere near what McMillan would have predicted based on my marathon time. I'd keep doing what you're doing and perhaps build in a half marathon nearer to the race (4-6 weeks before) as a more reliable indicator.