your mother doesn't lift here . . .

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i'm nowhere near anal or tidy at home. or in anyone else's home either, if it comes to that. and i do not clean up after other adults. i'm not one of those 'things must all line up neatly' type people at all. at work, i'll be damned if i'll pick up anyone else's used coffee mugs or deal with their dishes for them.

but take me to a gym or a fitness centre, and i spend TOTALLY RECREATIONAL TIME just re-organizing the plates that other people have finished with and just stuck back on their pegs, just any old where. i'll move four 25's off the peg they go on, just to get at the little 5lb plate someone stuck on there underneath all of them . . . walk round the rack to find the 5lb plate peg and put that one back where it goes, and then track all the way back to replace all the big 25's in their place. meanwhile all i personally need and came over to get is one little 2.5lb plate, which is on the right peg and not mixed in with anything else on that peg. lately i've graduated to hauling around the big 35's and 45's too.

partly of course i'm just procrastinating before i have to go back there and sweat my way through the next set. but i realised sometime this week that i also just like doing it.

hah. who says lifting heavy makes women 'unfeminine'? i'm acting more like most people's unconscious expectations of how women are at the gym than i do in my own living room.

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I get the procrastination thing. I find myself doing that sometimes too. Actually, now that I think about it, my weight room (I work out at home and it is more like a glorified nook) is probably the most organized place in my house...
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I totally get this. I don't have a weight rack yet - mine are simply all piled on the floor, but they have an exact order for each pile and I have the need to make sure they are all facing correctly when laid down (the weight marking must be facing down, easy to read, and always with the lbs facing up). If it were any different I would have to spend time re-organizing and tidying before each workout as it would drive me mad.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    LOL, I used to do it, but then I got tired of picking up after grown men.

Just like at home.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of putting weights back in the correct place, and it annoys me when people leave their weights around. Fortunately the guys that run my gym have serious OCD and one is ex military so very rarely is anything out of place unless its in use so this makes me happy :laugh:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Ha! My gym has like 4-5 sets of 2.5 and they are NEVER where you would expect them to be unless you go in on a Wednesday (I don't know why. I guess Wednesday AM is clean up the gym day and they reorganize everything). More often than not they'll have 1 plate on one of the power rack, one near the benches, and the other ones are over at the smith machine and the hammer strength WEIGHT STACK machines. IDEK! Why do people leave only 1 plate of a certain weight on a plate tree? WHY?!

I reorganize too, mostly because sometimes I have to get to the 5lbs that someone stuck 3 25s in front of even though the 25 peg is empty. At least the bumper plates in the xfit area are usually stacked right...
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Haha!! I do that too. there are not a TON of plates at my gym but they are always all over the place.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I ran across this today...first time lifting at my new gym, 545am (still a bit groggy) and someone left 270lbs loaded on the bar in the squat rack. STUPID me, I started removing plates from one side (45lbs each) and then the bar started to lift the other direction!!! I very carefully maneuvered it, but in the end a bar with 135lbs on one side kinda had to just drop and I got out of the way.

NOW I know to remove plates evenly on each side. ;-) Or...maybe people should remove their own plates.
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I did go to a gym, I was always the first person in the free weights area in the morning and would be ANNOYED that the plates are not put away properly. I guess my gym didn't care to reorganize at the end of the day. Now that I work out at home, my plates are perfectly lined up! :wink:
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    LOL, I used to do it, but then I got tired of picking up after grown men.

Just like at home.

yeah, that's the thing. i do. not. do. other. people's. **** for them. i work in a field that's just full of men and the ****ing spoiled-rotten entitlement of the way these people LEAVETHEIR****LYINGAROUNDFORSOMEONEELSETOPICKUP makes me mental . . . they don't even think of it as selfish and rude or realise how badly they're showing themselves up, they take it so much for granted. i'd quit before i'd wash any adult's used coffee mug. seriously. i don't do things like that. it makes me cranky even seeing the one or two other women at a work site 'taking care' of all that.

and yet, at the gym . . . i so love shaping-and-sorting type things. that tiny-kid's toy with the hollow ball where you push different shapes through the holes . . . i used to play with that while my son was having his naps. so my left hand doesn't know how my right hand's feeling. i just love fitting the plates on the pegs. i'm going to quit one day probably, just so i won't reinforce that someone-else-will-do-it mentality that i hate so much. but in the meantime i've decided to do it all with my left hand, just to add the small bonus of evening out my right-dominance.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I hate that...even at home I have a specific spot for each weight size...

If it's my 25lb plates they are stacked neatly against the wall up so I can grab them easy....10lbs on the floor beside them, 5/2.5lbs on my rack...

and the nerve (of the men) to come in and not put them back....Yah...I hear you. My DH learned the hardway to put my weights back.

If I was at a gym my ocd would kick in too...I want stuff put back where it belongs...even if you didn't originally get it from there you know where it goes...

another reason I am so glad I lift at home.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I just fixed all the messed up weights on my squat rack at the gym.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Thanks to this thread I just fixed all the messed up weights on my squat rack at the gym.

hehe glad to see I am not the only one with OCD tendancies...