first 20 mile run...

Options
2»

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    You have plenty of time before your October marathon. If you can run 20 miles in training, you absolutely can complete 26.2 on race day. The other runners and spectators will provide you with extra energy.

Have faith in your plan and you will be ready
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - the more 20 milers the better. I love 20 mile training runs and they do got easier, but only when you have sufficient mileage to support them. I only wish the marathon would end at 20.

This. I'm running a lot of 20+ milers in training for my first ultra. My running partner is training for Boston and he also runs a lot of 20+ (in fact he's planning on running a 30-miler with me soon). I'm against the idea of not running long runs before events, you should train your body to get used to hours it will be under the stress and, for example, if you are able to run 30--26 will be that much easier. Of course I am training to run 50 and will likely only run 35 or 40 before.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    First, it does get easier. I think you have to have one or two training runs that really challenge you mentally and physically. My worst run ever was my first run at 14 miles. When I finished at the end of my street, I had to grab the street sign to stop the world from spinning around. Of course, part of that had to do with the heat and humidity. But I had been running in the heat and humidity for weeks in the middle of the day.

That was after great training runs at 8, 10, and 12 miles. And it was a 10K that I ran with no running training (just walked and walked and walked before the race) that had me think, I could get back into running.

Two weeks later the 17-miler went better and the 20 miler three weeks after that was a "piece of cake." It rained the entire way and I ran in it. Then on to 23-miles and finally 28. Was I tired after each? Yes, but not wasted like I was after the 14-miler.

if you continue to run after your marathon in October and maintain a level of training, 20-milers will be "easy" and mostly require time. I've run three marathons since last November and though my mileage never really falls off too far, knocking off 15 or 20 miles is "nothing" (i.e., it is no longer as daunting as the first time you approach and run that distance for your first marathon).

For this fall, I ran my 20-miler 3 weeks ago and 23 this past weekend. My head really wasn't into running 23 miles, but I did it anyway and did it right by sticking to the pace rather than trying to get it over and done with. That's part of the training...the mental stamina. I'll be a little off cycle on my 26-mile run (I plan to run it on Labor Day) and the in early October I run my last really long-run of 29-30 miles. They are long, yes, but no longer intimidating.

There are different plans and strategies to how to prepare for a race. The trick is finding one that works for you.

The marathon is such an honest race that you have to do the training. But if you allow yourself a little luxury of having an occasional bad training day and learn from it ("why couldn't Phidippides have died at 20 miles?"), there will be a day when you realize that it really is awe that you sense about the magic of "20-miles". You were once in awe of those that could go 20 miles...and now you are one of "them."

It is a rare and elite group. Welcome to it.