August Challenge Sat Aug 16th to Fri Aug 22

Options
Yes, I am starting the thread Howie :D I am impatient and eager to get this going this morning LOL!!

Heading down to Carbon County Montana and a little cemetery; all that is left of Carbonado, MT. My wife, who was born and grew up in Connecticut, found out that her great grandmother, whom she is named after, was born there in 1900. She even has a picture of her at 1 year old, taken in Helena. We will also visit the Carbon County museum, which has genealogy records (Red Lodge). A bit of driving today as just to get there is 5 hours..

Replies

• beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Saturday. About to wake up kiddo (14 and typical stay up late sleep in teen) and walk over to farmers market. After that a mountain bike ride. Looks like a good day.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Hmrjmr1 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Folks. Yesterday was an emotional roller coaster for me. Every time I visit the Wall and my friends, I think I maybe heal a bit more. This was the 5th time for me and maybe my last. I live everyday on the time they have given me. Folks, never underestimate the importance of time, it is our creators greatest gift, If the things we do in life echo in eternity, then there are 5 tones echoing in the ether that ring for Duty, Honor, Loyalty, Faith, and Family, I cannot know what mine will be but I hope that it is Service and when it joins and completes the beautiful 6 note chord, it rings for the soldier in the quiet before the battle and gives him strength,clarity, and resolve to do what must be done, and let it echo in the nights keeping the daemons of his duty sheathed in his sword when duty is done.
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hmrjmr: Thank you for your service and thank you for your beautiful words that remind us how lucky we are and how indebted we should be to those who have served and died for us. I'm so glad you are part of this community.

Beerbikegirl: Golden sounds like it was fantastic! I'm one for getting up early and doing a hike especially in a beautiful place. And I'm always amazed that there aren't more people doing the same. So I'm a bit envious of your hike. :)

Hey all: I'm going to go start a new thread to see if anyone wants to reveal real names to this group. I get so confused and I used to keep messages but MFP deletes them after a while. I know several of you but you don't know the real names of each other. I totally understand if folks would rather not reveal. But I'll open that thread just in case. :)

HAVE A GREAT SATURDAY!!
  • carolssalva
    carolssalva Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Mark: your trip sounds amazing. Very cool about your wife, her name and the trip!
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mark and it fine for anyone to start the thread on a new week as you can see I have forgot two weeks in a row. LOL
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Doing my Saturday checkin...

Went the Weight Watcher meeting this morning put opted for the NWI (no weigh in) this week. Was up two pounds which put me over my Lifetime goal and I would have had to pay. Need to get back in the game. Been overeating and under-exercising for two weeks now and it's catching up to me.

Not sure how well I will do this evening since I'm going to a Brewfest with my hubby. 22 Micro Brew Vendors with 77 beers for sampling... and I don't really even like beer! (Sorry Kim! LOL)

Hope everyone is doing well!
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Saturday! I'm here....
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Just got back from an all day outing with three 11yr old boys at Elephant Rock state park. Walked 4.5 miles up and down trails around granite formations.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Mark sounds like a great time, and Happy Airborne Day!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Just checking in real quick today. Went to Muay Thai. I did 6 sessions of Muay Thai this week. Yay.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Happy Sunday Folks. Hope all is well with all of you. Dead lift day for me :)

Forgot my Fitbit one day last week so my weekly numbers are skewed. Not a big deal but makes it harder to use the data. Just got Keto Clarity for my kindle. Will be seeing what's up with that this week too. I had been waiting for Kiefer to come out with CBL2 or Carb nite 2. I have Carb nite 1 and just couldn't come up with the right combination I was willing to do with the food he recommended. My own dietary standards are that I don't eat foods I don't enjoy just because they are good for me. I eat food I like in quantities sufficient to fill me up, I don't mind dropping foods I like, (think Macaroni cheese and SPAM) if the detrimental health effects outweigh the psychological benefits of the food. Not many foods that I've dropped reach that high standard. (Friday Monster Burger Combo and pre Karaoke Show Good Luck Donut sticks are about the only two) .

Was wondering how you guys view your food intake. Do you look at what you eat and make a conscious decision about the emotional or psyc benefits of your meal?, or just go for it and beat yourself up, or congratulate yourself later? How much do you think about food when you're doing other stuff?
  • MarkMcElvy
    MarkMcElvy Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Good morning Sunday. Off to a 'prepping and patriots' seminar/convention today. Should be interesting.
  • kilosierra83
    kilosierra83 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Sunday! Hmr I will respond to your ? When I have more time. Just checking in!
  • heronh
    heronh Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    No loss (I think) this week for me. Everyday I see a different number on the scale. Some days show a loss, some days showed a gain.
  • beerbikegirl
    beerbikegirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options

Was wondering how you guys view your food intake. Do you look at what you eat and make a conscious decision about the emotional or psyc benefits of your meal?, or just go for it and beat yourself up, or congratulate yourself later? How much do you think about food when you're doing other stuff?

I feel like I've finally gotten to a point that I make food decisions based on how it makes me feel...as in physically. And really don't think about food most of the day. I do kinda plan meals. And eat much of the same things over and over. Sometimes if I'm tired or stressed I make choices that I regret later - usually because of GI issues. I'm currently making no effort to be in a deficit and still just trying to eat intuitively with the foods that make me feel good.

That said I still have fat to lose, but feel like I need to continue with this path of focusing on health and energy versus cutting. It's a slow slow process. Right food (type not really quantity), sleep, stress management, walking, some sprinting, some lifting. Trying to make that my lifestyle. As mentioned before those last two not really doing. Tho yesterday i added hill sprints to my walk. Felt great. Will make that a part a couple times a week. Now to work on the lifting. Carol, hopefully you'll inspire me.
  • howie6267
    howie6267 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I can't believe the month is already half over. We still have 8 in the running. I went ahead and marked GoodDayToYou down for yesterday since she told us she would be out of contact.

John, in answer to your question I do think about what I am putting in and what it will do for me. I also think about food constantly. It is my addiction. You don't get to be 500 lbs without having some kind of addiction. I want to turn to food for everything, happiness sadness, boredom you name it. It really sucks and it is a real struggle for me, I feel so good when I do well but that craving and wanting to over indulge is always lurking.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options
    Here is a link to my ALS Challenge Video, consider it a call out to the Fat2Fit August Challenge team as well. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=854464361231445&set=vb.100000036675332&type=2&theater

Do Your video or donate $10 to ALS foundation. If you do your video and post a link here I'll donate $10

The Glove has been thrown it is at your feet.

Hammer Jammer 1
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options

I feel like I've finally gotten to a point that I make food decisions based on how it makes me feel...as in physically. And really don't think about food most of the day. I do kinda plan meals. And eat much of the same things over and over. Sometimes if I'm tired or stressed I make choices that I regret later - usually because of GI issues. I'm currently making no effort to be in a deficit and still just trying to eat intuitively with the foods that make me feel good.

That said I still have fat to lose, but feel like I need to continue with this path of focusing on health and energy versus cutting. It's a slow slow process. Right food (type not really quantity), sleep, stress management, walking, some sprinting, some lifting. Trying to make that my lifestyle. As mentioned before those last two not really doing. Tho yesterday i added hill sprints to my walk. Felt great. Will make that a part a couple times a week. Now to work on the lifting. Carol, hopefully you'll inspire me.

Beerbikegirl - You are a kindred spirit. Could have used the same words myself.
  • Hmrjmr1
    Options

John, in answer to your question I do think about what I am putting in and what it will do for me. I also think about food constantly. It is my addiction. You don't get to be 500 lbs without having some kind of addiction. I want to turn to food for everything, happiness sadness, boredom you name it. It really sucks and it is a real struggle for me, I feel so good when I do well but that craving and wanting to over indulge is always lurking.

Howie - You are in a tough fight and I salute you. For me, the background of hunger and craving faded away when I did a whole 30 challenge and totally eliminated sugar, grains, dairy, and legumes for a month. I had already lost 70lbs but did not really have control of my hunger) I followed the process in the Book "IT Starts With Food" Highly recommend it though I couldn't promise it would have the same effect for you. Keep in the fight though, it really is life or death for all of us.
  • markd_cronenwett
    markd_cronenwett Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Quick check in. Forest fire got started just over the hill from our house, so it was a quick drive (still 5 hours) back last night. Had a great time doing the ancestry lookup and found some great stuff. Still monitoring the fire, but at least we have not had to evacuate yet...