over-trained, whiny mess.....

Options
aldousmom
aldousmom Posts: 382 Member
it's time for my bi-annual over-training meltdown! WOOT! I don't need any advice, I only need to complain.

In June I did 6hr race, then a hard 30k trail race the next weekend, then three weeks later followed by challenging (but short 30k, 18k) trail runs on back to back weekends, then two weeks later another hard 30k.

After repeated falls (the last one was a doozy!) and an ever decreasing pace (!), my coach shut me down for the week, and probably also next week, b/c today on my run (trail) I could BARELY run! I was running so slow, and the climbs were killing me (usually my fav). My legs hurt constantly like I've been lifting weights and I'm sleeping like the dead. WHEW TIRED!

Three more weeks until my next 30k, then I'm a little iffy about the trail marathon I planned for the end of September. I've run it before and it's super hard, and with the way I'm running right now, I'd be out there FOREVER!! So, I'll see how I feel after the next race before I decide to go on with that one or not.

I've been on a minimal schedule all week to recover and I feel more tired than ever. More power-walking next week, YAY!!

it's hard to complain too much, or too seriously, since I do it to myself, but STILL! I want to run!

Is anyone else this stubborn? #ultrarunnerfail

Replies

• schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Raises hand meekly
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else this stubborn?

No, because I know how to pick my battles.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    one day I hope I learn! :D

I've only been running ultra about a year and a half. It was so EASY the first year. gah.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I recommend getting checked out by a doctor if you don't get more energy. Anemia, hypothyroidism, etc. can all cause extreme fatigue. Hopefully you will bounce back without need to see a physician, but keep it in mind.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I recommend getting checked out by a doctor if you don't get more energy. Anemia, hypothyroidism, etc. can all cause extreme fatigue. Hopefully you will bounce back without need to see a physician, but keep it in mind.

thanks! I'm actually just back from my annual birthday physical, and all's well! in fact, I got a high five for my iron level! (and also cholesterol, but vegans don't usually have cholesterol issues I think)

6 races over 8 weeks is just exhausting for anyone probably.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I find the older I get the more easily I fall into the over trained mode. I have to back off every few weeks. It stinks, but what can you do? :o)
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Ah, whine away. That sounds rough! I suffered this once trying to "bank" training for my ultra. I realized I was going to be out of town and unable to run much for a couple weeks during a crucial part of the training plan so I ran and ran and ran. Ended up exhausted and eventually injured.

All just to say I empathize and hope you get back to normal soon!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I think you already know this but yeah this is me!!
  • NorthCountryDreamer
    NorthCountryDreamer Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Most of the recommended schedules call for a recovery week every third or 4th week. I am 7 weeks out from my main marathon. I may not follow the recovery week plan since I have held back some in previous weeks. High miles and lean race weight are my biggest priorities. Last night I reminded myself about the importance of a lean race weight by picking up a 10 lbs weight and contemplated how that much weight in body fat wasn't helping me reach my goal. I need to rid myself of that weight.

Anyway ultra running/runners seems to invite a lack of specificity in training. I was perpetually overtraining then undertraining week after week and race after race when I was preparing for a season of multiple marathons and beyond.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    No. I am not that stubborn. In no way. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not. And, don't try to argue with me about it because you won't win!
    (And, aldousmom, you are either a wack-job or my absolute hero! I suspect it is a bit of both.)
  • aldousmom
    Options
    Most of the recommended schedules call for a recovery week every third or 4th week. I am 7 weeks out from my main marathon. I may not follow the recovery week plan since I have held back some in previous weeks. High miles and lean race weight are my biggest priorities. Last night I reminded myself about the importance of a lean race weight by picking up a 10 lbs weight and contemplated how that much weight in body fat wasn't helping me reach my goal. I need to rid myself of that weight.

Anyway ultra running/runners seems to invite a lack of specificity in training. I was perpetually overtraining then undertraining week after week and race after race when I was preparing for a season of multiple marathons and beyond.

I totally agree! I used to be way worse, ricocheting from one race to the next, it was a disaster.(but, omg, so so so fun)
    BUT I hired a coach and my disasters seem to be more controlled now, thankfully. I think this year has been serious fitness building for me, getting strong enough to both run the races AND train for them. go figure! ha ha ha. Despite being occasionally exhausted, I haven't been injured (well, aside from falling last weekend) and have really made some progress in my longer races, and I'm so glad for that.

And, I've got QUITE the modest fall race schedule this year, I'm a little proud!
  • aldousmom
    Options
    No. I am not that stubborn. In no way. I'm not. I'm not. I'm not. And, don't try to argue with me about it because you won't win!
    (And, aldousmom, you are either a wack-job or my absolute hero! I suspect it is a bit of both.)

It's true that I'm likely a wack-job
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling over-trained lately. High mileage in sub-tropical summer conditions don't mix well. I figure it's peak summer for just a few more weeks (hopefully) so if I can get through it, I should set sail in the (cooler) weeks to come. My ultra isn't until Nov. 1st (and in Nashville) so it should be ideal. In any case, all of that doesn't help my situation at the moment. To be honest, lately I dread just about every run.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    I've been feeling over-trained lately. High mileage in sub-tropical summer conditions don't mix well. I figure it's peak summer for just a few more weeks (hopefully) so if I can get through it, I should set sail in the (cooler) weeks to come. My ultra isn't until Nov. 1st (and in Nashville) so it should be ideal. In any case, all of that doesn't help my situation at the moment. To be honest, lately I dread just about every run.

uggg, it's so hard to stay motivated in the heat. :/ it's been awful here, too. So your peak mileage isn't for another couple of months, at least. hang in there!

Pretty much, I have a 20(ish) miler of some sort every Saturday: it's either a training run, or a race.(at least for races I don't run the next day) last weekend I was so beat, I only did 12 miles (trail, of course) but I was SO slow. It was more of an ambitious hike, with zero enthusiasm. I didnt even want to get up that morning. :( you know how that goes.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Well my weekly mileage is in the mid-60s at the moment. It won't get much more than that, except a few longer runs. In any case, when those cool fronts start arriving I hope it will give me an instant boost after the battle of summer.

I've been following long runs with another run (10 or so). I'm pretty worthless on those days, but i fight through it since I figure it is important to fatigue the legs as much as possible in prep for the ultra.

This Saturday I have a 20 mile run followed by a 18 miler on Sunday. I expect it won't be much different than the 25 miler and 10 miler I did last weekend. Although, anything after 20 lately is usually when I start cracking (especially when the sun comes up).
  • aldousmom
    Options
    Well my weekly mileage is in the mid-60s at the moment. It won't get much more than that, except a few longer runs. In any case, when those cool fronts start arriving I hope it will give me an instant boost after the battle of summer.

I've been following long runs with another run (10 or so). I'm pretty worthless on those days, but i fight through it since I figure it is important to fatigue the legs as much as possible in prep for the ultra.

This Saturday I have a 20 mile run followed by a 18 miler on Sunday. I expect it won't be much different than the 25 miler and 10 miler I did last weekend. Although, anything after 20 lately is usually when I start cracking (especially when the sun comes up).

I don't envy your long b2b runs in the summer...bleck! I won't have any until September, for shorter ultra in October (altho w/ two races in september that doesn't seem likely) Even still, for a 50 miler I don't usually do more than 30-40 miles in a weekend, so I probably won't see any of that until it's much cooler.
  • GreenEyedTrailMonster
    Options
    Hey girl! Are you keeping an eye on your iron levels. I have just had to add an additional iron supplement to my day as feeling a bit whacked. Us ultra running girls ramp through iron more than the average girl and particularly if you are eating lean.
  • bidimus
    bidimus Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been on a minimal schedule all week to recover and I feel more tired than ever. More power-walking next week, YAY!!

it's hard to complain too much, or too seriously, since I do it to myself, but STILL! I want to run!

Is anyone else this stubborn? #ultrarunnerfail

Oh, I do enjoy a nice wine. :) I totally understand what you mean. I ran an ultra relay last month (my legs were 30 miles) even though I've got something going on with my heel, PF or tendinitis not sure which. (I'm too stubborn to get it looked at because they'll tell me to stop running.)

I was feeling pretty invincible after not making things worse (that's a win right?) that I signed up for a 5k, a 5k + 9k back to back race, and a half marathon. All of these over the next few months. As if that isn't enough I did I good hard 12 mile trail run with 3000 feet of climb just because it was a nice day out a week ago.

The heel is barking mad right now and I'm three weeks out from my half. I'm minimizing my runs to the bare essential so hopefully I already have the mileage built up to make this happen. It's kind of a tradition for me to throw in a good OT injury just before a major race. ;)

So ya, you're not alone there. :)

*edit: I should throw in that I almost added a marathon to the mix too but luckily my wife talked me off that ledge.
  • aldousmom
    Options
    *edit: I should throw in that I almost added a marathon to the mix too but luckily my wife talked me off that ledge.

ha ha ha, you're awesome. :D