List Of Things Needed For...

Options
2BeHappy2
2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
So...Ive finally come to the point of needing some much needed input/information!
For all those that have already gone down this road, what did you take with you to the hospital that you found you didn't need OR what didn't you bring that you wish you had?
How much did you stock up on before and what all did you stock up on?
This weekend I bought my 1st Oster personal blender (with an extra bottle), I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to get peoples ideas and opinions before I used it.
I was just wondering what all you purchased to prepare for your surgery and if this choice of blender is a good quality 1 (I paid $20 plus $10 for an extra bottle).
Theres no such thing is a wrong idea or suggestion...we all have ways of doing things so I welcome any and all that you have to offer!
Thanks!!

Replies

• ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I am almost 3 weeks post sleeve. I brought the following to the hospital for a one night stay: 2 changes of underwear, 2 comfy outfits, deodorant, hair brush, hair bands, iphone with headphones (needed this because of the stupid alarms going off all the time), iphone charger, flip flops, comfy socks, my glasses, lip balm. I also brought some water flavoring (like crystal light) but didn't need it. That's all I can think of. I mostly slept and walked. I did manage a shower but I think they provided everything I needed. I may have brought some shampoo and conditioner.

Before surgery I bought some Isopure Zero, pre-packaged sugar free jello, chicken broth, premier protein drinks, sugar free popsicles, and Mootopia skim milk. I ordered sample packs of syntrax nectars and sweets, jay robb sample packs, about time sample packs. I ordered containers of Unjury Chicken Soup, Chocolate Splendor and Unflavored. I also froze some pho broth from a local vietnamese restaurant. Some of this I used and some I didn't. I had bad nausea for the first few days and couldn't tolerate the Isopure or jello but was happy to sip on the pho broth and herbal decaf tea. Once I moved on to full liquids, I stocked up on soup but I was able to go to the grocery store by then.

I am on purees now and am happy to have a handheld immersion blender. I think a food scale is a must. I have a Ninja blender that I haven't used much since surgery but I was a big fan of smoothies before surgery so I expect to go back to those once I am on regular foods again (good way for me to get my greens and veggies.) I think a mini-food processor would be a good investment if you don't have one.
  • dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was in the hospital for 4 days. I needed nothing LOL I did check my iPhone a few times, but I basically slept the entire time I was there, so I didn't need anything.
    I did bring my phone charger.

I also wore my slippers a lot. That's it!

Things I found I needed at home:
    Popscicles! That was the staple of my diet for the first few weeks.
    I also used my immersion blender to puree soups. Although I only used it for a few weeks.
    Food scale! I use mine religiously. It helped to make sure I was getting enough food.
    Measuring cups! I still use mine to measure soups etc.
    Magic bullet, I use to make shakes. I like the small cup. It's the perfect size for post op shakes & smoothies

Don't stock up on protein powder. I found my tastes changed pretty much daily! I bought lots of samples from nashuanutrition.com and used those. I'm still using them 8 weeks out!
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Lip balm, phone charger,slippers, nightie that snaps or zips in front, pillow to splint abdomen. As for food. Some protein shake sample packs. Don't invest the money in a whole canister until after surgery, you will only end up giving away expensive powder that you hate. Few cans of broth, 1 box sugar free Popsicles, 2 boxes of sugar free jello, 2 bottles g2 Gatorade, Kroger carbmaster skim milk. By the time you finish that you will be back to driving.
    Food scale, measuring cups- just get your own set cause you will just battle your family for control of them if anyone else cooks.
    I have the oster blender and like it but the screw on snap caps to make your shake portable are crap, your shake will squirt in your face when you drink it and they leak horribly. I just dump my shake in another container for drinking.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Sorry...dbl post!
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Lip balm, phone charger,slippers, nightie that snaps or zips in front, pillow to splint abdomen. As for food. Some protein shake sample packs. Don't invest the money in a whole canister until after surgery, you will only end up giving away expensive powder that you hate. Few cans of broth, 1 box sugar free Popsicles, 2 boxes of sugar free jello, 2 bottles g2 Gatorade, Kroger carbmaster skim milk. By the time you finish that you will be back to driving.
    Food scale, measuring cups- just get your own set cause you will just battle your family for control of them if anyone else cooks.
    I have the oster blender and like it but the screw on snap caps to make your shake portable are crap, your shake will squirt in your face when you drink it and they leak horribly. I just dump my shake in another container for drinking.

Oh goodness!
    This was my 1st gadget, not knowing which 1 to get.
    Id thought about the magic bullet or ninja but was so confused about brand, quality etc etc so I went w/ cost...maybe I should reconsider?!?
    I love all these suggestions, please keep sending them in!
    Thanks!!
  • bikrchk
    bikrchk Posts: 516 Member
    Options

GREAT advice! Don't buy too much. Your tasetes may really change post op. I know I didn't want anything thick and milky for a while as it was just too rich and harder to get down so a clear or water mix protein supplement might be a good thing to try, (Syntrax has trial packs that mix with water). I used a NutriBullet for the first few months. Don't know what I would have done without it. Rarely use it now as I get most of my protein supplements in bar form or dump it in my coffee at work.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    For all those that have already gone down this road, what did you take with you to the hospital that you found you didn't need OR what didn't you bring that you wish you had?
    I packed light and was glad for it. I wore home the same stuff I wore to the hospital - loose empire waist dress and a cotton, fasten-in-front leisure type bra. For women, you may end up with incisions right at the bra line and something like an underwire will hurt! I also brought a couple changes of undies. I brought non-skid socks but didn't need them as the hospital provided them. I didn't need pj's or a nighty or anything like that because the hospital provides gowns which are designed to accommodate things like IV lines, drains, etc. I brought my phone and charger and used them. I brought my Kindle but only used it because my surgeon was running late and I had time to kill in pre-op. I brought and used lip balm. Everything else the hospital provided.
    I got lots of protein SAMPLES, including savory stuff like Unjury chicken broth and HealthSmart protein soups. Different flavors of Powerade Zero and G2. Crystal light type packets. SF jello and popsicles. Different types of tea and broth.
    This weekend I bought my 1st Oster personal blender (with an extra bottle), I haven't opened it yet because I wanted to get peoples ideas and opinions before I used it.
    I have to tell you, I bought one of those blenders and it put way too much air in my shakes. It made them very foamy and frothy, so basically impossible to drink post-surgery. They were full of bubbles and foam even after I put them in the fridge to rest for a couple of hours. I switched to a Cuisinart hand/immersion blender which puts no air in the shakes and that's what I have been using ever since.
    This is the blender I use:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-2-Speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00ARQVM5O/
    It comes with a beaker to use in mixing shakes.
    A couple of other things you may want to have on hand if you don't already - a heating pad (helps your tummy feel better) and a digital food scale.
    Good luck!
  • NaturallyMichelle
    Options
    Extension cord, sleep mask and ear plugs and a comfy pillow.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I packed light and was glad for it. I wore home the same stuff I wore to the hospital - loose empire waist dress and a cotton, fasten-in-front leisure type bra. For women, you may end up with incisions right at the bra line and something like an underwire will hurt! I also brought a couple changes of undies. I brought non-skid socks but didn't need them as the hospital provided them. I didn't need pj's or a nighty or anything like that because the hospital provides gowns which are designed to accommodate things like IV lines, drains, etc. I brought my phone and charger and used them. I brought my Kindle but only used it because my surgeon was running late and I had time to kill in pre-op. I brought and used lip balm. Everything else the hospital provided.
    I got lots of protein SAMPLES, including savory stuff like Unjury chicken broth and HealthSmart protein soups. Different flavors of Powerade Zero and G2. Crystal light type packets. SF jello and popsicles. Different types of tea and broth.
    I have to tell you, I bought one of those blenders and it put way too much air in my shakes. It made them very foamy and frothy, so basically impossible to drink post-surgery. They were full of bubbles and foam even after I put them in the fridge to rest for a couple of hours. I switched to a Cuisinart hand/immersion blender which puts no air in the shakes and that's what I have been using ever since.
    This is the blender I use:
    http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-75BC-2-Speed-Immersion-Blender/dp/B00ARQVM5O/
    It comes with a beaker to use in mixing shakes.
    A couple of other things you may want to have on hand if you don't already - a heating pad (helps your tummy feel better) and a digital food scale.
    Good luck!

I haven't opened my Oster personal blender so Im now reconsidering.
    Did you all purchase extra bottles (like I bought an additional 1 from the 1 that it came with).
    I did check that link out....is that something that can be found at the store or can only be purchased online?
    What are the opinions of food scales and which are the best (& from where)?
    Did anyone buy any special kitchenware?!?
    Thanks!!
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    i bought the $20 food scale from walmart and love it. switches from oz to grams with push of a button. i would return the oster before you use it. an immersion blender or bullet is probably a better buy in the long run.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    Yeah...Ive seen others who had posted the same....about buying their scales from Walmart.
    Is that also where people pick up their shakes (liquids/powders) or would that be stores more like GNC?
    We have a Walmart which is close enough but the GNC is at least an hrs drive...possibly more (Ive never needed anything from there so Im really not sure :blushing: ).
    Just wondering which is the better place(s) to buy certain things!
  • efwolfcub
    efwolfcub Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be, if you have someone going with you for the day of surgery, keep things to a minimum - last thing you want is for something to get lost in the shuffle between preop, OR, PACU and post-surg. have them hold onto your goody bag until you're in your final room - will definitely want your cell phone/charger/tablet (whatever it is you can't live without), book to read, favorite pillow, underwear, pjs or sweats (comfy, not cute). as for CPAP - it depends on the hospital. some hospitals are picky and only what you to use their equipment rather than have you bring your own. if you're picky about your mask though I would bring that. keep it simple, especially if you're close enough that someone can run back to the house for whatever if you need it.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    My suggestion would be, if you have someone going with you for the day of surgery, keep things to a minimum - last thing you want is for something to get lost in the shuffle between preop, OR, PACU and post-surg. have them hold onto your goody bag until you're in your final room - will definitely want your cell phone/charger/tablet (whatever it is you can't live without), book to read, favorite pillow, underwear, pjs or sweats (comfy, not cute). as for CPAP - it depends on the hospital. some hospitals are picky and only what you to use their equipment rather than have you bring your own. if you're picky about your mask though I would bring that. keep it simple, especially if you're close enough that someone can run back to the house for whatever if you need it.
    No breathing machine here...thank goodness!
    My dad used 1 growing up (not sure if he still does), I don't know if they've changed any but I remember it being so loud :ohwell:
    My husband is going with me...Im hoping I can have it done on a fri since he typically has the weekends off.
    His job is on a points system...he can take 1/2 a point but the problem is he can only leave about 1 1/2 hrs before his shift ends.
    Its not like 1/2 a day 1/2 a point so we haven't yet decided if its better for him to lose a whole point and be rested up to taking me or only get off 1 1/2 hrs early.
    Did you all find it better to have surgery in the early AM or later?
    I don't know if there is an actual "choice" but I was thinking about bringing this up to him next wk when I finally get to see him, depending on what we decide to do w/ him taking points.
    Points are awful to use because they don't come off till the anniversary of using it and we hate to use them not knowing what kind of winter we're going to have :ohwell:
  • ATXHeather
    ATXHeather Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    My guess is your surgery will be in the morning. My other guess is that your surgeon only operates on certain days. I had a hard time scheduling mine because of my summer teaching schedule combined with my ex-partners work travel schedule (she was my person for the day and took care of the kids.) He only does surgery on Mondays and Tuesdays and only in the mornings. I think this might be common.

Can someone else bring you to the hospital? Really, you just get checked in, say your goodbyes, and then get wheeled off. My ex came in with me but she really didn't need to. And then I woke up several hours later and she brought the kids by, but that could have waited too because I kept falling asleep. I probably could have easily had someone drop me off in the morning and then come by that night to bring me my stuff.
  • pcoppock
    pcoppock Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've also heard people mention that bringing music was better than trying to read while in the hospital. they couldn't track the story line through the drugs. I'll be sure to have some of my favorite movies I can use to drift off to. I'm also wondering about the CPAP question, but I'm sure they'll let me know. I was so hard to fit for a mask, that I can't imagine trying to sleep with anything but the one I have now (until I can get to the point where I can throw the thing out the window!)

-Phill
  • Mangopickle
    Options
    I just had my husband drop me off at 5 am and come back after work. There was no point in him wasting time in the lobby. my surgery was at 7am I didn't wake up 'till 3:30. I became lucid around 5:30 about the time he arrived. I sent him home 10 min later so he could get dinner and get to bed on time to take the kid to school the next day. He picked me up after work 2 days later. He never missed work and was occupied so he didn't worry. I kept in contact thru text messaging my family and friends. I was too busy to be lonely.
  • 2BeHappy2
    Options
    I just had my husband drop me off at 5 am and come back after work. There was no point in him wasting time in the lobby. my surgery was at 7am I didn't wake up 'till 3:30. I became lucid around 5:30 about the time he arrived. I sent him home 10 min later so he could get dinner and get to bed on time to take the kid to school the next day. He picked me up after work 2 days later. He never missed work and was occupied so he didn't worry. I kept in contact thru text messaging my family and friends. I was too busy to be lonely.

The last part had me giggling...lol @ being too busy!
    Where Im having it done is more than 1 1/2 hrs away...Ive asked him about going to a friends house that's not too far but he doesn't want to use their home while theyre at work.
    Ive asked him about maybe looking into a hotel for 1 day of sleep so that he can be well rested to help me when I need him, he didn't like that idea either.
    I know Ive heard of others who had it completely covered, mine is not like that...although I wont carry the full financial burden (the full expense of all this), its by far not going to be near *free*!
    I just keep telling myself that the outlook is far better than the immediate...for ALL the heath reasons.
  • SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    You can get that Cuisinart immersion blender at places like Target and Kroger, not just online.
    For protein powders - they do sell them at Walmart. A lot of people get and like the Body Fortress brand that they sell there. However, you can't sample anything from Walmart before you buy it, so you could end up with a 2 lb jug of protein powder that you hate. At places like GNC or Vitamin Shoppe, most of them will blend you a sample to try in the store before you buy it. Or you can buy samples online from places like nashuanutrition.com or vitalady.com before buying the same brands at GNC.
    That said, I may be over-complicating things - many people rave about the Body Fortress brand.
  • Prilla04
    Prilla04 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I brought the comfy clothes I came in - big tshirt and big sweat pants - and wore this home when I left. I brought my phone charger, slippers and a big PowerAid Zero and that's it. I was in the hospital 2 nights.

When I got home I survived off of PowerAid Zero drinks, sugar free Popsicles, and protein powder drinks. I bought 4 blender ball cups to mix my protein drinks with and that's it. I never had to puree any food. I have tolerated everything just as I had pre-surgery.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    For the hospital: pajama pants (until the IV came out couldn't put on my robe), some underwear, birkenstock sandals for walking, the usual toiletries. I wore the same clothes home I arrived in, loose and comfy.

At home: Unflavored protein powder, protein infused or fortified chicken and beef broth, Isopure Zero, Vanilla Bean Syntrax Nectar protein powder. Don't stock up because most people find their taste changes and what they liked pre-surgery they couldn't get down post-surgery. I am more of a savory person so the shakes were just too thick and sweet. I did much better on the chicken and beek broth and plain water or green tea. Sugar free popsicles and the like were not on my plan.

During the liquid and pureed portion of the diet, since everything was in such small amounts, I got a small blender set that included an infusion blender so I could put everything in a glass and blend to liquify or puree in one container. I still use it. A MUST - FOOD SCALE, I'm 3 years out and still use this daily. The measuring spoons and cups I always had worked great. AND A WATER BOTTLE with measurments on the side so you can track your water. My doctor's office gave me one I still use.

Other than that I took my crocheting and a book to read, didn't use either much because if I wasn't walking I was sleeping.