New to SL, just saying hi!

Options
Hi all! I just did my first SL A yesterday. I started out lifitn last year, but only had dumbbells, I used a great full body workout and had great results. When got my new equipment, I started doing NROLFW, made it to stage 3, and couldn't make my self stay focused to keep going. It got too far away from the big lifts and too far into accessories for what I am interested in. When I did a search, it seems like this was a common thing. I workout at home, and have 3 kids, I didn't have time to spend 2 hours on a workout.

Anywho, I've spent the day searching the threads in the group and doing some reading. I started out with 45lb on all exercises. I feel like I could have done more on the squat, but didn't want to overdo myself right out of the gate. I am looking forward to workout b tomorrow.

Does anyone use the SL app? I downloaded the basic version, and was wondering if any of the upgrades are worth purchasing.

Replies

• Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Hi! Welcome to the group :) I can't comment on the app, as I just write down my lifts lol. Hopefully someone will be able to chime in on it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I use the app I have bought the 3x5 portion, but not the warmup or plate calc portion (which used to be free) as i don't use olympic bars...even tho my math is awful sometimes.

I did modifiy it tho so that on my upper body lifts it would add 2.5lbs not 5 which works well for me. the graphs are nice to see too esp when you are starting and they are alllllllllllllllllllllllllll going up...not so much fun when you stall later and have to deload...:sad:

I actually really like the app on my phone...I do however keep track here as well just as a back up sort of thing.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Stef, I don't use Olympic plates either, and my math stinks as well. Several times I have had to load the bar, then count, stop and recount because I thought I counted wrong. Lol.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm on my sixth workout and am really starting to see some changes. The workouts seem so short (at the beginning, when the weights are still light), I was a little skeptical at first.

I use the app and love it. I don't have any of the addons. I read that the warmup addon doesn't even do anything for you until you get to heavier weights anyway.

It wasn't obvious to me at first how to change how many reps you do (tap the '5') or the starting weights and increments (all configurable). I am still able to do the default settings (i.e. 5x5 and adding 5 every workout), but was nervous about when I hit my 'ceiling'. Its a nice app, 'cause I would never be organized enough to remember which workouts I was supposed to do and for what weights....
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm a "returning newbie" and just completed my first set yesterday. I tried the app but even after finding how to change the starting weights and increments I found it wasn't for me. I use a little notebook at the gym and record in a spreadsheet at home.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    hi to all the new people . . .
    I use a little notebook at the gym and record in a spreadsheet at home.

i added customized stats for each of the lifts to my mfp 'checkin measurement' set. it's just the weight of course, but i don't count any weight i can't do 5 sets of 5 with, so that's fine with me.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the opinions on the app. I am going to play around with it a while before I make a decision to keep it or not.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hello there. I'm a new-ish member of the group. I will be starting my 5th week of SLs on Thursday. I love it. The people in this group are very knowledgeable and supportive.

I don't use the app. I have a small notebook I've been writing my workouts down in. I also post them in the workout thread.
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I use the SL app, but watch it when they upgrade; last time it screwed up which workout I was on, and the numbers were.... just wrong. I put my workouts in another online repository just in case. Good thing (really, a 135 # row? I don't think so!).