How long do your workouts take?

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
I have read back about 20 pages, but didn't see this listed.

So...how long does it take you to complete a workout? Meaning you are doing just the 3 lifts.
I am new, just finished my 3rd day and I am getting through them pretty quick. But...with that being said, I am also not resting very long in between sets (don't feel like I need to), maybe just because I am still pretty low on the weight.

Replies

• spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    In the beginning it's a lot quicker because the weights are lighter. As you start to increase, you will need to take the time to rest in between sets. I wouldn't worry about it seeming too quick. I'm on my second round of SL and I take anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour, not including any accessory lifts I do. It just depends on how tired/energized I am. It will be different for everyone :)
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    It didn't used to take me very long in the beginning. Now that the weights are increasing, I really need to use the rest time. It takes me about 45 minutes to finish Workout A, and a little less time to finish Workout B.
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    45-1hr seems manageable. This last week I have been working out in the morning, showering at the gym and heading to work.
    One reason I have been doing AM workouts is by the time I get there after work around 430 or 5pm, the weight area is PACKED and to be honest its still a little intimidating.

I have seen some people say they didn't like SL 5x5 because it took up to 90 or 120 minutes and I honestly don't want to spend that kind of time at the gym at one given session.

I am also taking it slow, I would rather increase weight slowly than get too overzealous and hurt myself.

The input and feedback from this group is great! I don't most much in the regular forum, lots of negativity and sometimes harsh responses. Everything I have read here has been super positive and supportive! Thank you ladies (and a few men).
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    45-1hr seems manageable. This last week I have been working out in the morning, showering at the gym and heading to work.
    One reason I have been doing AM workouts is by the time I get there after work around 430 or 5pm, the weight area is PACKED and to be honest its still a little intimidating.

I have seen some people say they didn't like SL 5x5 because it took up to 90 or 120 minutes and I honestly don't want to spend that kind of time at the gym at one given session.

I am also taking it slow, I would rather increase weight slowly than get too overzealous and hurt myself.

The input and feedback from this group is great! I don't most much in the regular forum, lots of negativity and sometimes harsh responses. Everything I have read here has been super positive and supportive! Thank you ladies (and a few men).

I'm in week four, so still a newbie. It takes me about 40-45 minutes per workout. When I first started, I was taking too long of rests.Then I began timing them and trying to keep them to 60 seconds-2 minutes, depending on the lift and how I felt. As the weights get heavier, I'm sure I will need increasingly longer rests. When it starts taking longer than 90 minutes to complete a workout, I will probably look into switching to 3x5. That is what a lot of people have done and they have still been able to progress in strength.

I concur with your opinion of this group's greatness! I have found everyone in here to be very helpful and respectful towards each other.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    pior to switching to 3x5 it was an hour to 1.5....:noway:

when I switched to 3x5 it was 45mins to an hour (depends on rest times)

My deload (personal choice) it's now 30-45mins...

not sure how much wendler will take...
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    It takes me about 50-60 minutes, on my second week. But I also do 2 warm up sets for each lift and add 3 sets of hip thrusts.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    At first it was about 30 minutes. When I needed more rest time it got up to an hour so I switched to 3x5. That took about 20 minutes so I added in some accessories, time was them about 40 minutes.

I started wendlers this week and my upper body days only take about 30 minutes including accessories and my lower body days take about 45 minutes.

All times are not including warm up (5 minutes of jumping jacks and some dynamic stretching) and cool down (15 minutes of stretching and foam rolling)
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Takes me an hour, sometimes and hour and a half. I really take my rests now. I did try doing some 3x5 but wasnt seeing the strength gains I wanted to see so I went back to 5x5 for a bit. I started bringing my laptop into my gym space and doing some mindless work doing the restimes which makes me feel less stressed about the amount of time. I also run for about an hour most days and it just starts to feel like a lot of TIME away from my life.

Today I took a full 5 minute rest with my last OHP set and it made such a difference. I will probably start doing that more with OHP and BP...
  • JuliRamone
    JuliRamone Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Since I switched to 3x5 it takes me around 35-50 minutes (basic reason to switch. 5x5 took me 80-100min)