seriously the weirdest don't-lift thing i've heard yet

Options
canadianlbs
canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
i had dinner recently with an old friend, who's not usually given to flaky remarks and believing everything you see in the national enquirer while you're waiting to pay for your groceries . . .so i just don't know what to make of this one. thought i'd throw it up for entertainment if nothing else.

we're both in our 40's, and i'm obviously closer to 50 myself. so when i told her how i was lifting and the whole 'go heavy' thing, her comment was something like this:

"you better be careful, since you're close to the menopause. once all that estrogen stops, the extra testosterone from lifting weights might make you bald.'

*boggle?*

Replies

• Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    But think of the fabulous wig collection you can have!
  • ChoiceNotChance
    ChoiceNotChance Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    That's one of the most bizarre statements I've ever heard. :huh:
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    <facepalm>
    broscience hits a *new* low!
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    LOL! I wonder how people come up with these ideas :laugh:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Um, wow.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Well I made a really funny snort, laugh, grunt in disbelieve when I read that, so my husband thanks you for his chuckle at my expense.
  • rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yep, that's definitely a new one. I've been wondering why I seem to be losing more hair lately. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    That's one of the most bizarre statements I've ever heard. :huh:

i know. it's good, isn't it? although i'll be honest: if anything was going to deter me i think that might do it, if it were true.

just to be uberly sure, i might ask my doctor if i ever see her again. i'll probably get the same look from her that your smiley gave me.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    But to compensate, your beard might get impressive.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    OMG, that is hilarious, roflmao.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,276 Member
    Options
    Although it sounds strange, I can see where it comes from. Weight lifting causes an increase in testosterone which ups the hormone DHT in your body. DHT is asscociated with hair loss. It's not highly likely (and a lot based on genetics), but some people really can lose their hair from it.
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    Kind of freaks me out honestly because I have very thick long curly hair, and I've felt lately like it's a lot thinner. It's really my only redeeming quality and I have no idea what I'll do if it goes to sh!te.
  • canadianlbs
    Options
    DHT is asscociated with hair loss. It's not highly likely (and a lot based on genetics), but some people really can lose their hair from it.

O_O kiddin'. i already knew that, which is why i am going to give my doctor a chance to look at me this way :huh: again. i already asked her where a person's ovaries go when they're pregnant, so i don't have a whole lot to lose.

however, deploying my ruthlessly logical brain on this one, i'm figuring:

a) if lifting even boosts testosterone in women (?) it can't be a very significant hit because
    a.1) if it did then we'd look like arnie
    b) that's already been dealt with, and so:
    b.1) if i have hair right now, then either
    b.1.1) i don't have the dhthing thing,
    or
    b.1.2) estrogen's got it covered for now.

therefore:

c) either:
    c.1) my hair isn't gonna fall out,
    or
    c.2) it's gonna fall out anyway when the estrogen stops, whether i lift weights or not.

in other words: lifting doesn't make women bald. menopause makes women bald, and not a whole lot of them. therefore, i think i'll just keep calm and lift weights.
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Here's a lady who's a 74 year old body builder. Long hair and fabulous!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ernestine-Shepherd-Worlds-Oldest-Female-Body-Builder/116632508372892
  • PurringMyrrh
    Options
    *whew* I'm still a little freaked out, but not as bad.

I think my hair problem is stress more than anything. Either that, or my body is digesting itself for protein...
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    I found this on a gynecology website (i.e. why women need testosterone)

http://www.lotusobgyn.com/7-reasons-why-women-need-testosterone/
  • iceey
    iceey Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well that's a different take on testosterone effects and menopause.

I thought she was going to tell you that you're going to be all manly and bulky.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Here's a lady who's a 74 year old body builder. Long hair and fabulous!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Ernestine-Shepherd-Worlds-Oldest-Female-Body-Builder/116632508372892

OT, sorry!

I want to join facebook again just so I can like this woman's page! Amazing!