Healthy Snacks

Options
jallysquared
jallysquared Posts: 33 Member
Does anyone have any good suggestions for some healthy (easy to make) snacks?

I find between breakfast and lunch I am so hungry, and want something healthy to fill the void!!

Replies

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I usually eat chobani 100 cal greek yogurt with 1/2 cup blackberries and little bit of slice almonds.

or any piece of fruit.
  • juditdell
    Options
    I find berries are great filling snacks.
    I sometimes have a protein bar as a snack.
    Peanut or almond butter and Banana or apple.
    Peanut butter mixed with Greek yogurt for dipping fruits in it.
    :)
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    An apple!
    Lots of fiber and water, a little bit sweet.
    The crunch is fantastic, so satisfying. :D
    Some people believe that eating an apple is better at keeping you awake than a cup of coffee.
    Great morning snack~
    If you need a little bit more substance, eat some nuts or nut butter with it.

I also love cucumber/bell pepper slices with hummus.
    I just had "horseradish hummus" from trader joe's last night and it rocked my world!!
    Usually I make my own hummus to keep the fat content low.

A hardboiled egg is about 75 calories. Good fat/protein too.
    Pair it with a slice of toast?
    My favorite bread is "healthy life whole wheat" coming in at a stellar 35 calories per slice!!
    I've seen it at nearly every grocery store (i'm in wisconsin, usa)
  • Palamedes
    Palamedes Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I'm sticking with whole fruits like apples, bananas, and apples. If I can get my hands on a nice green banana, that is a good thing.

I'm also a fan of cashews. I think you need to very careful on portion control when eating nuts. I recommend weighing the portion.
  • blukitten
    blukitten Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    my standards are 1 cup of strawberries either halved or whole and 1/4 cup of blueberries or 1 Ostrim Stick, or 1 bag of 100 cal popcorn, or a whole fruit of some kind, or 2 tbls peanut butter and celery- a little higher cal but very filling

These are my favs
  • mustangEvie
    mustangEvie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I snack a lot but the most filling to me is some almonds, hard boiled egg, skinnypop popcorn, guacamole and plantain chips, or some fruit like watermelon or an apple.
  • jallysquared
    jallysquared Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    lots of great options! thanks guys!! :):)
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    frozen grapes, 100 calories snack packs, little box of raisins
  • Beachlady24
    Beachlady24 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am with you on the frozen grapes. Cut in half and put in the freezer. It helps with the sweet cravings and it takes a while to eat because its frozen :)
  • doctorregenerated
    doctorregenerated Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of the suggestions above. Yes, weigh those nuts!
    Additionally, I use popcorn chips as a substitute for chips, and also a tablespoon of cream cheese on 5 saltine crackers works for me too.
    A nice salad with a few sunflower seeds or a low cal soup works great too.
    I love dipping, so if I need to dip I use celery and salsa or if I have more calories to spare, I go for the hummus dip. Spicy red pepper is my favorite.
    Weight Watchers makes yummy ice cream sundaes for only 140 calories. Use a small spoon and it will last longer!
    Sometimes at night I will crave bread, so I use the light english muffins and a tiny amount of butter.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Yogurt would be my number one choice. Or cottage cheese. But that can get old after a while. I also like to have 1/3c sunflower seeds, celery stick with peanut butter, or hardboiled egg. I recently became obsessed with wasabi peas. Yum!

I love the idea of frozen grapes!
  • Ansin529
    Ansin529 Posts: 47
    Options
    Homemade "No Bake" Protein Bars... "A Great Tasting Protein Bar that costs me nearly nothing"

Whey Protein Powder - 2 Scoops of Powder
    Peanut Butter - 1/2 Cup of Peanut Butter
    Whole Grain Oats - 1/4 Cup of Oats
    Skim or Almond Milk - 1/4 Cup of Milk

Mix all the ingredients together until you are satisfied everything is well mixed...Take the round ball of batter you now have and place on a piece of wax paper or casserole dish and spread. My bars are approximately 1/4 inches thick or just a bit more... Place the batter in the refrigerator for at least an hour... You will be able to cut the bars into bars and eat them without them falling apart...

The amount of ingredients you will use to make these protein bars is going to vary on the amount you want to make...
    I have made them a couple times and I estimate the calories per bar to be approximately 250 calories... This may be a little high, however I wanted to make sure I did not under estimate the calories...In my opinion, this is a healthy 250 calories and perfect for my new, active, healthy lifestyle...I am usually well under my calories and this can help fill the void between meals...

You can roll them in chopped nuts or place the nuts inside the batter... Really you could add just about anything you wanted to them (fruit/nuts)...
  • Idontwanttobeahamplanet
    Options
    Peanut Butter Smoothie!

1 cup unsweeted almond milk - 30 cals
    1 tbsp creamy peanut butter - 80 cals
    1 packet twin sugar - 0 cal
    6 ice cubes

1. Put everything in a blender. I use the whip setting.
    2. Enjoy 110 calories of indulgence!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks is Yogurt Jello. Mix any flavor of sugar free Jello with one cup boiled water. Then slowly mix 1 cup plain yogurt in till its dissolved. Pour into 1/2 cup ramekins, chill till firm, 47 calories, 1g fat, 4.4g carbs, 4.6g protein. You can even add some whipped cream....there is only about 15 calories in 2 tablespoons of whipped cream. A great tasting, refreshing snack that's pretty healthy, too.
  • mangoblue
    Options
    In morning snack I have one fruit!
    In afternoon snack if I return from gym I take1 fruit yogurt 1-2% 150gr either 1 fruit !

But you have a lot of to choose
    1. Carrots
    2. Cucumber
    3. Hard Boil Egg
    4. Cereal Bar up to 100 kcal
    6. Dried prunes/ raisins
    7. 8-10 Almonds
    8. 5-6 Walnuts
    9. Greek Yogurt
    10. Fruit Yogurt 1-2%
    11. Greek Yogurt with 1 teaspoon honey and 2 walnuts
    12. Bake Apple with 1 teaspoon raisins and cinamon
    13. Diet crackers

Also you can have a combination of the above depends your daily kcals
  • WestLA35
    WestLA35 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    My snacks are. Berries, Apples, Dried Fruit, Nuts, Veggies and Dip
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Yummmy that sounds like a great snack. Lots of protein. Thanks
  • Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I made the best fresh string bean snack by mistake. I sprayed a baking dish with Pam added damp string beans, sprayed with Pam butter and sprinkled them with Arora creations organic Indian spice. My husband forgot to turn the oven off and the string beans were very overcooked. They were Yummy snacks.

Before bedtime I make a huge cup of sleepy Time tea and I *kitten* some Crystal Light strawberry lemonade to sweeten it. YUMMY
  • lisam191
    Options
    Frozen grapes....amazing!
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly snacking. I pretty much eat a little something every hour. My trainer gave me a recipe for peanut butter, coconut balls. It's an easy no bake recipe. I usually triple it when I make them.

1/4 cup peanut butter

1/4 cup almond butter

1/4 cup agave syrup

1 cup oatmeal

1 cup unsweetened coconut

handful of unsweetened cacao nibs (optional)

I mixed them all together. I found the mixture a little sticky so I put it I the fridge for about 30 minutes before rolling into tiny balls and popping in my freezer.

I'm thinking unsalted peanuts, or almonds, or raisins would also be really good in this. Even mixing in cocoa powder could work too. I also plan on adding protein powder next time.