Favorite Proteins...Whats yours?

Options
symba1130
symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
My new favorite is fish. I have been buying hake loins frozen from Costco, they are individually packed and thaw nicely without falling apart. I can even get my 4.5yo & 1yo to eat it with me.
5oz = 90cal and 20g protein.

I also love buying the rotisserie chicken at Costco and tearing all the meat off and using that for the week for salads, tacos, etc. Easy grab and go.

Oooohhh and as I am typing I almost forgot, GREEK YOGURT! I like the plain (again from Costco, their brand). 1C = 140cal and 24g protein. I add a shake of cinnamon and depending on my sweet tooth a drizzle of honey.

Do you see a trend here...I have a real issue with Costco! HA! I have to limit myself to 1-2x a month or I would go crazy buying up all their cute kids clothes and stuff I really don't need :wink:

Replies

• suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I do Costco rotisserie, Greek yogurt, and fish too. :) But I buy the frozen tilapia. Also I bought fresh salmon from Costco, chopped it all into pieces, vaccum sealed and froze them. :)

I use the bones from the rotisserie to make chicken stock.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I like all of the foodz.

Greek yogurt, fish (I just get whatever is on sale, usually some kind of white fish), eggs, eggs, some more eggs. I also by a big pack of frozen chicken breast, grill it and cut/weigh it and freeze it for quick and easy protein.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Mine are canned tuna (only type of fish I can eat for some reason lol), chicken, beef, and eggs. It's hard for me to get all of my protein in from food, because my family doesn't eat that much meat, so I use Vega powders to help supplement it when I feel like it.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    I never have an issue hitting my daily protein %, in fact, I'm usually a bit over. My favs are:

-Buffalo
    -Chicken
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Cottage Cheese
    -ON Natural Whey
    -Quest Bars
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My hands-down top 5 faves:
    - Eggs
    - Quest bars
    - Greek yogurt
    - Syntrax protein powders (mix a scoop in with Greek yogurt = NOMMMMMM)
    - Pork tenderloin
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Eggs
    Quest bars
    Tuna
    Chicken
    Greek Yogourt
    Protein powders
    Hemp hearts (mixed in oats and yogourt... yummy!!!)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    1 - Meats. All kindz. I'm a huge meat eater. But I don't like them to be overly mixed with things (so no meatloaves or shepperd's pies or sauce-smothered dry chewy things) and not a huge fan of canned stuff. Among my faves are bison, boar, (insert game here. wild animalz tastes betterz!), beef, pork, salmon, trout, cod, chicken, shrimps!

I used to be okay with tuna but I think I ate too much of it, now it's further down the list haha. Same with tilapia, it's kind of a dry tasteless fish. Might be good for some people, but I actually enjoy seafood.

Usually enjoy the fatty pieces better too - I fit it in, Fats aren't the devil :P

2- Light Mozzarella cheese (Saputo brand is AMAZING but I think QC only lol). I can put that stuff anywhere! Or freshhly made cheddar. Cheese curds are to die for (But gotta be done in moderation because the fat to protein ration is rather bad)

3 - Cottage cheese and fruits. Best pre-bed snack as it's one of the only things that'll prevent me from getting the hungries in the middle of the night. If I need a little hit of extra protein, I dump in some protein powder. Chocolate mixes really well (even if it looks like... well... )

4- Greek yogurt, plain (again, with protein powder for flavoring, or fruits and maple syrup :))

5- My BioX protein. The chocolate one is awesome, some PB2 in there makes it delish. I can also make microwave brownies. Also, the banana cream is awesome!

6- Quest bars / other protein bars - I get Smart for Life from costco and those are pretty good considering! -, and possibly soon the quest chips because 20g protein chips? YES PLEASE!
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I don't discriminate when it comes to food :laugh: I love all food.

I'm a meat eater-all kinds.
    Love tuna-eat it practically everyday.
    Eggs and cheese.
    Love fish, but hate my house smelling like it, so I will usually get fish at a nicer-type restaurant.
    CarbRite chocolate peanut butter protein bars--loving these lately. They taste like a less-sugary, slightly more chewy peanut butter cup.
    Greek Yogurt
    Trying to find a protein powder that doesn't cause cramping or upset stomach. So far, I've had success with Lean Body for her by Labrada in vanilla but hate having to order it.
    Cottage Cheese upsets my stomach too, so I don't eat it, even though I like it.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I never have an issue hitting my daily protein %, in fact, I'm usually a bit over. My favs are:

-Buffalo
    -Chicken
    -Greek Yogurt
    -Cottage Cheese
    -ON Natural Whey
    -Quest Bars

I got some local bison last week and made goat cheese stuffed bison meatballs. I had no idea how much protein it had! Not sure I'm willing to pay $12/lb on a regular basis but it provided a nice change up compared to chicken or beef.

I'm a self-proclaimed picky eater that loves meat. haha! So chicken, fish, pork, beef, sausage, etc. As well as eggs, beef jerky, cheese, tuna packed in water mixed with laughing cow cheese (cuts out that fishy canned tuna smell).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    yeah . . . . eggs make me feel a bit sick. hate them unless they're disguised. and fish omg even worse, forget that. don't like greek yogurt, i've tried (chalky with all the extra milk solids, not tart enough, gross texture). milk is a faint stomach ache unless it's in my coffee.

so i'm chicken, some beef, any and various vegetable sources if/when i can, and non-greek yogurt.

and supplementation in my morning shake. it's about the only reliable way to top up.

can we talk about potassium and my banana aversion sometime?:tongue:
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Any land roaming meat for me :bigsmile: but no fish, can't stand the texture!

Eggs, I love eggs, i'm a 3 a day every day girl lol

Cheese - I can eat the world out of cheese, 90g of super strong cheddar is 23g of protein :love:
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    can we talk about potassium and my banana aversion sometime?:tongue:

Eat potatoes or spinach. They actually have more potassium than bananas, anyway :)

The whole lactose intolerance thing you seem to have going on does suck. I have to limit my consumption to a certain level otherwise I get all gas-y bloat-y. I love milk (full fat or 2%. Anything less is not worth being called milk and at that point I'd rather have almond milk), but can't really drink it anymore :( I know I can't have a serving of cottage cheese and greek yogurt in the same day without consequences, too xD

No one's mentionned beans. They're actually not a bad source, either! Often forgotten. I actually like them in small doses :) I make this killer chili... Now that the weather isn't so warm anymore maybe I could break out the crockpot =D
  • cstringfellow2013
    cstringfellow2013 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I haven't found a meat I didn't love. I also get protein from cottage cheese, greek yogurt, and powder. We've been having a lot of chicken and fish (salmon, ahi, mahi, tuna, and shrimp) for dinners.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    Eat potatoes or spinach.

:flowerforyou: :drinker: !!! FRENCH FRIES !!!:drinker: :flowerforyou: yee hah. i'll ignore the fact that you mentioned spinach in the same breath.

thanks for this though. i can't even be in a room with a banana or eat the muffin that sat next to the banana bread without feeling ill so working among so many health-conscious people is tough. you can't exactly ask everyone to leave their favourite potassium source at home the way you can ask them to back off on the perfumes and aftershaves. but at least now i have a comeback to all the 'full of potassium!' freaks when they hear about it.
  • ianthy
    ianthy Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Packet of sliced meats - ham, chicken or turkey - but watch the sodium.
    Boiled eggs
    Tinned Fagioli beans
    Tin of tuna
    All are great esp if you are on the move.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    My favorite is steak, but I tend to eat the crap out of some greek yogurt to help me hit my protein macro.
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    2- Light Mozzarella cheese (Saputo brand is AMAZING but I think QC only lol). I can put that stuff anywhere! Or freshhly made cheddar. Cheese curds are to die for (But gotta be done in moderation because the fat to protein ration is rather bad)

Oh hell yes light mozzarella cheese by Saputo!!! I put it everywhere too!!
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Here for the protein ideas - my favourites are beef and duck. But sadly I don't always have the calories to feed up on them :( which means I usually turn to chicken.
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm very dull but...:

- Canned tuna in spring water
    - Chicken breast
    - BACON! (or turkey bacon :P)
    - 0% FAGE greek yoghurt/Alpro Soya Simply Plain Yoghurt (I wish I could have Fage more often but I'm lactose intolerant so need tablets and even with them, it might not go down well :/).

Definitely my main two sources of protein are tuna and chicken, I don't really like meat that much but I'll occasionally have some beef sirloin or so. Same with fish, I'm very bad so I'll only eat grilled salmon or maybe tuna steak... but that's about it. I do also hate eggs, puaj, but will have omelettes as long as I cover the taste with tuna, turkey ham, cheese etc.
  • maryetamfp
    maryetamfp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Oh, oh, and on that same line, my last obsession: chicken and bacon muffins!