Pre-dawn running

Options
soxobsessed
soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
So I am a morning runner and I know that soon I will be running in the dark, I have started searching for things to make me brighter and was wondering if anyone here has some recommendations of what they like

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I'm a pre-dawn runner too... I found some battery operated flashing red-lights that clip on to your clothes at a local running store... they are ok... but I am still not convinced they are enough... I still get too many "close calls". My brother really likes running with KnuckleLights... fit onto your hands, three levels of LED beams... eye-catching and also can help light your way... I'm thinking about getting some... about $40...
  • ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I have a little clip on blinky light. But mostly I make sure I am aware of my surroundings and not counting on others being able to see me. I always assume that the person in the car does not see me.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I have a jacket that has LED lights that run off of a rechargeable USB in the pocket. I love it. But when running in the dark, it's not only important to be seen, but also to be able to see the surface you are running on to avoid potholes, rocks, etc. I usually wear a headlamp for this.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    But when running in the dark, it's not only important to be seen, but also to be able to see the surface you are running on to avoid potholes, rocks, etc.

And roadkill.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Shameless plug for a friend's business - www.noxgear.com

I own a Tracer 360 (and a headlamp). You'll definitely be seen in this thing, and he's designing one for dogs too.

If you don't want to spend the money, a headlamp, blinky bands, and maybe reflective tape too.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Very cool product.... any idea on how it holds up in sub-freezing temps? I live north of Pittsburgh and run outside all winter... lots of low teens and single digit runs this past winter...
  • HornedFrogPride
    HornedFrogPride Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I wear a Petzl rechargeable headlamp that has white & red light options (and blinking option). Also, reflective neon Nathan vest, neon reflective wristbands (one of my wristbands blinks), neon (superhero?:laugh: ) socks. Also have bright neon yellow running jacket. Make sure you get something bright enough that runners can see you in the dark, fog, precipitation, etc. :bigsmile:
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you can find a safe trail (no risk of getting hit by a car) I think that would be best.

I sometimes wear a headlamp, but often find the moonlight is enough to guide me if the sky is clear.

I have almost been hit by a deer once or twice but am not too worried about it.
  • saskie78
    saskie78 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I also run pre-dawn (and post sunset). I don't do much to be seen, but to see I use a Rayovac 50 lumen headlamp. I've gone through several cheapo kinds and this one does the trick for me--I've done overnight runs in it with no difficulty. Too cheap to buy a Petzl. :)
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    For city running I like use Knuckle Lights. I've had mine for 3 years and other than replacing the batteries have had no issues. For trail running the Knuckle Lights are not bright enough so I wear a headlamp. I plan on buying a new one this year, the one I have does not have a wide enough apeture for my liking.

*edit* I forgot to mention I also have a head warmer with white LED's in front and red in back. It does not provide any illumination to see by but it does make me more noticeable to vehicles.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I wear a Petzl rechargeable headlamp that has white & red light options (and blinking option). Also, reflective neon Nathan vest, neon reflective wristbands (one of my wristbands blinks), neon (superhero?:laugh: ) socks. Also have bright neon yellow running jacket. Make sure you get something bright enough that runners can see you in the dark, fog, precipitation, etc. :bigsmile:

+1 on the petzl..I love mine! I also have used a vest from time to time.
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Predawn? I run pre-predawn. Can't say it's any cooler at 4am down here, but at least the traffic is light...

I wear a lot of lights. 1) headband 3-LED white lamp with rear red blinky, 2) I wear hat visor LED lights on my shoes (one on each clipped to my laces). One is red and the other is blue. 3) I use a high-powered 9-LED red blinky clip-on light on my waistband.

In addition to lights, I wear reflective ankle straps on each leg also.

I never have any problems being seen or seeing in the dark. In fact, quite often on coming traffic will switch lanes way before the reach me (seeing me from far away).

People say I look an alien. But, I take that as a compliment. ;-)
  • soxobsessed
    soxobsessed Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    thank you for all the ideas everyone
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    Putting this back up...Wanted to thank SonicDeath for mentioning Noxgear in this thread back in August... I run very early in the morning so its always dark... I just got the Tracer 360 and I absolutely love it... especially when I see cars slowing down and moving over a good distance down the road. I am definitely feeling a lot safer than I used to...

If you run in the dark, this is an excellent $60 investment.... check out the link in his post....
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I don't wear a headlamp for my pre-dawn runs. To me, a headlamp is to see, not to be seen when running at least. I see fine in town. When I lived in the country with no lights and it was cloudy, I needed a headlamp to see since I ran on old dirt roads. I use one at night when on trails too in order to see.

As far as what I wear to be seen, I have a florescent reflective highwayman's vest that I used to use when riding my motorcycle. I've sold the bike, but wear the vest when running. I also wear it when I bicycle, even in daylight. Yes, I look stupid. But in order for you to form that opinion, you have to see me and that's precisely the point! :)