tempo pace- what's yours?

Options
Carrieendar
Carrieendar Posts: 493 Member
What is your tempo run pace in comparison to your half or marathon pace?

Replies

• ZenInTexas
    ZenInTexas Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Mine is about 20-30 seconds per mile faster than HMP and 45-50-ish seconds faster than MP.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I fit in a 5K/10K race to sub for a tempo, with an appropriate warmup (I like to make both races about an 8-10mi day)

Edited to answer your question: my HM race pace is about 7:15-7:30, and my tempo paces range from 6:20-6:50
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    Pretty close to Jen. About 15-30" seconds faster than HMP and more like 45" from MP
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    So if I'm aiming run 7:27 m/ms for my marathon my tempos should be more like 6:50? Right now they are 7s ...
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Reading this... Too slow! Ugh!

It was around 7:30-7:22 when I was doing some (I stopped because of an injury)... GMP is 8:05-8:10
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mine is actually slower than others posted. I seem to be almost a minute per mile slower on the marathon. Then the last 6 miles I can run faster than my tempo pace. I keep saving to much to the end. I have yet to learn to balance my tempo and miles. As long as I finish and in a time that is acceptable to me -- I'm ok with the time. Don't compare yourself to others. The information is good but you will set your own tempo pace.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    According to calculators with my 19:19 5k:
    Threshold- 6:40
    MP- 7:03

Actual PRs
    HM/threshold- 7:05 (from march)
    MP- 7:53 (from 3 weeks ago)

Lolz
  • vmclach
    Options
    So if I'm aiming run 7:27 m/ms for my marathon my tempos should be more like 6:50? Right now they are 7s ...

I would depending on the distance.. Sooo since you have ran a 19:00 5k your paces "should be" the same as mine..

I train with the paces from calculators, but I'm usually a pansie come race day. I'm better at training diligently than racing strong
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    Yeah the calculator has me at like 6:40...but I also am only at a 4 mile tempo in the training plan...i feel like I can do 6:40 but I need to progress down. I did a 70 min progression last week that had last two miles at 6:45...it just takes me a while to get down there it seems...
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    Though short racing getting 6:10-6:30 seems easy. I dunno...maybe I'm
    Overthinking it. Just need to aim for 6:40 next week.
  • schmenge55
    Options

Probably. My tempo range based upon 5k and 1/2 time is 6:45-7:00. My predicted marathon time is about 7:30 but I think that is probably pretty optimistic and 7:45 on a good day is moe likely. Is 7:27 a goal time, meaning you want to get to that, or a predicted time based on current fitness level? There are two schools of thought on this. Mine is to train to fitness level.
  • schmenge55
    Options
    Though short racing getting 6:10-6:30 seems easy. I dunno...maybe I'm
    Overthinking it. Just need to aim for 6:40 next week.

Maybe forget about pace. What really counts us effort and pace is just a way to judge effort. Tempo should be comfortably hard. Talk but don't want to and will gasp every few words. Should be a pace you can maintain for about a hour. If you get this effort whether 6:10 or 7:30 it is a tempo run
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    My paces are more or less based on the McMillan calculator, so my 'tempo' (threshold) pace is right between 10k and half marathon pace (i.e theoretically 10 mile race pace), but I very rarely do a straight threshold run of several miles in a row - more like one or two mile repeats or similar.

When I last trained for a marathon I was doing a plan from Pfitzinger & Douglas's Advanced Marathoning and I *thought* I was doing the threshold runs (up to 6 miles, and I skipped the 7 mile one because I thought it was stupid and too hard, and I had a half that week anyway), but it turned out the pace I'd been hitting was actually my new half marathon pace. So my training had been a bit slower than a threshold run should be, but seemed to be having some effect.
  • Carrieendar
    Options

Probably. My tempo range based upon 5k and 1/2 time is 6:45-7:00. My predicted marathon time is about 7:30 but I think that is probably pretty optimistic and 7:45 on a good day is moe likely. Is 7:27 a goal time, meaning you want to get to that, or a predicted time based on current fitness level? There are two schools of thought on this. Mine is to train to fitness level.

My predicted marathon time based on 5k is 3:05:00; however, I have decided to set a goal of 03:15:00 (7:27) and shoot for the 3:05 on a flatter course because this one has 1200 ft of climb, with most of it in the middle and end of the race. I feel good about that pace and my training hits the paces for that time in all other areas but this tempo run. Now, granted, I have only run 2 tempos so far but they both hovered around 7 minute miles. they felt hard but comfortable, I got faster as the miles went on but then just kinda ran out of workout and into cool down. I am going to reassess next week when I have a longer one.

Then it goes to tempo intervals for a while, I do like those as well.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    My paces are more or less based on the McMillan calculator, so my 'tempo' (threshold) pace is right between 10k and half marathon pace (i.e theoretically 10 mile race pace), but I very rarely do a straight threshold run of several miles in a row - more like one or two mile repeats or similar.

When I last trained for a marathon I was doing a plan from Pfitzinger & Douglas's Advanced Marathoning and I *thought* I was doing the threshold runs (up to 6 miles, and I skipped the 7 mile one because I thought it was stupid and too hard, and I had a half that week anyway), but it turned out the pace I'd been hitting was actually my new half marathon pace. So my training had been a bit slower than a threshold run should be, but seemed to be having some effect.

I have his book and Pfitz says my tempo should be 7:00, so that seems to contradict everything else I read.

edit: that didn't come from his book, it actually came from an article from him online about how the tempo run is highly misunderstood. trying to find it again...he said add like 13 or seconds to 10k pace and my current best 10k pace was 6:45.
  • litsy3
    Options
    they felt hard but comfortable, I got faster as the miles went on but then just kinda ran out of workout and into cool down. I am going to reassess next week when I have a longer one.

How long is your warm-up? You might just be starting the tempo miles before you're ready. I need at least 3 miles and even then I sometimes feel I'm not ready till about the second mile of the tempo bit.

The P&D book says to do the LT runs between 15k and half marathon pace, but slower runners (i.e. us) should be closer to 15k pace and HM pace is for scary elite runners who can race a half in close to an hour.
  • Carrieendar
    Options
    I'm going to try that, I've only been doing 2 miles of warm up.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

+1 to longer warm up!

I recently found out that I also need more than 2 miles to warm up. Even after 3 miles of warm up the first rep is hard then I seem to settle into my pace and it's easier.
  • vmclach
    Options

If you are crunched for time, try doing strides before the workout to wake up the legs. Sometimes, if I'm in a hurry and can only do a 10-15 min warm up, I have to just zoom right into the tempo. Much easier to "force" the tempo pace on a treadmill. That's the only place I can do a true tempo without cheating.. :-/
  • litsy3
    Options
    Ah yes, good point about the strides vmc - I normally do some of those after my 3-mile warm-up. ;)