How many calories are you eating per day?

Options
Are you gaining, losing, or maintaining?

Do you follow TDEE or eat back your exercise calories?

I recently switched to TDEE, I'm eating 1900, and I'm lost 1.5 in my first week doing TDEE.

I also do other exercises such as spinning, yoga, rowing, and other random classes. I do also take full rest days (such as today)

I'm just curious what everyone else is up to and what works for you

Replies

• symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I am at 1640 a day, usind TDEE - 20% method. Ive been maintaining for over a month. I have it set to loose a lb a week but I'm not currently loosing. Started. SL a week ago...heading into workout #4 tomorrow. Trying to stay positive and not freak out about not dropping pounds. I also don't have tons to loose. Hoping for another 15-18lbs and lowering bf% 7%.
    I don't eat back exercise calories.

Would also love to hear what others are doing and if they stall or loose very slow.
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    I eat about whatever my fitbit tells me too. It comes out to between 1900 and 2500. I am currently trying to find maintenance but for the last week since I set my goal to maintain I've still been losing a little bit. That being said one week really isn't enough time to judge that.
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I have a pre-exercise goal of 1300 and eat back most if not all exercise calories. I am coming to the end of my weight loss and beginning to focus on strength. I'm closely monitoring my weight, measurements and how I feel. My plan is to up to 1400 calories on Saturday and take things a week at a time.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I am losing at ~2150 a day. I eat at TDEE-15%.*BUT*, am on a maintenance break this week (I've been at a deficit for 330+ days and needed a break for at least a week), so I am eating 2650ish a day now and my weight has not increased, I think I might actually still see a loss this week. Since I eat a percentage off of my TDEE, I don't eat back exercise cals. If you look at my diary, you'll see 500 cals for maintenance added each day this week, but otherwise my workouts are logged at 1 calorie for each workout.
  • willrun4bagels
    Options
    I am at 1640 a day, usind TDEE - 20% method. Ive been maintaining for over a month. I have it set to loose a lb a week but I'm not currently loosing. Started. SL a week ago...heading into workout #4 tomorrow. Trying to stay positive and not freak out about not dropping pounds. I also don't have tons to loose. Hoping for another 15-18lbs and lowering bf% 7%.

Would also love to hear what others are doing and if they stall or loose very slow.

Stick with what you're doing as long as you are weighing/logging all food accurately. The scale will take a while to catch up when you switch to TDEE. I switched to TDEE - between 10% and 20% in March 2014 and have lost 25lbs since then. Started SL in early May. I posted a progress pic of my midsection in the progress photos thread in this group yesterday... only down 4.6lbs since the first photo was taken, but looking totally different (and smaller IMO). Don't freak out! :)
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was doing TDEE -500 cals, which put me at about 2300, but I've switched over to maintenance for a break from cutting so I'm at 2600 to 3000 depending on how active I am (2600 is for my off days, 3000 on the weekends). My activities are walking ~6 miles every day (dog walking mostly), Wendler's 5/3/1 four days a week and once per week I do a 30 minute HIIT sprints session.

As for stalls and losing slowly, yes, that would be me! They're not true stalls, though; I'm naturally very prone to retaining water and weight lifting/DOMS makes me retain big time and that can mess with the scale and make me feel discouraged so I've made more of a focus on tracking inches lost and THAT is where's it's at! From July 19th to August 16th I lost 0.8 pounds, but lost 2 inches off my waist, so... yeah... the scale is not always the best thing to pay attention to!
  • symba1130
    symba1130 Posts: 248 Member
    Options

Stick with what you're doing as long as you are weighing/logging all food accurately. The scale will take a while to catch up when you switch to TDEE. I switched to TDEE - between 10% and 20% in March 2014 and have lost 25lbs since then. Started SL in early May. I posted a progress pic of my midsection in the progress photos thread in this group yesterday... only down 4.6lbs since the first photo was taken, but looking totally different (and smaller IMO). Don't freak out! :)

Thank you for the wisdom! I know slow and steady wins the race, but sometimes my mind wants to play tricks on me. I will keep at it and post progress as I go. Got up at 515am again today and made it to the gym to complete workout #4.
  • willrun4bagels
    Options

Thank you for the wisdom! I know slow and steady wins the race, but sometimes my mind wants to play tricks on me. I will keep at it and post progress as I go. Got up at 515am again today and made it to the gym to complete workout #4.

Great! And I totally get you on the scale frustration... I was experiencing that myself a few weeks back. Take progress pictures. lots of them. Take them often. Compare them side by side after a month or so. The pictures will show changes that the scale doesn't show (yet).
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i don't know what means tdee, really, and i can only pay so much attention to things like this. so i just use mfp with a 'sedentary' lifestyle and tell it about any aerobic stuff that i do. then i try to meet or stay close to whatever the limit is for that day . . . sort of. but i told it i want to lose these last 10 pounds or so, so my daily limit is pretty low. it can get a real spike when i take my bike out. i find both levels a bit hard to meet. to me food's kind of a pain in the *kitten* to think about all the time, tbh.

and now that i think about it, if i look at it over a longer term i'm probably *actually* averaging whatever my basic maintenance is, and anything that i'm losing is probably coming off those exercise days.