Biggest Loser Feedback

Options
leggup
leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
Hello group!

As we are over the half-way hump, I would love some feedback/volunteers for the rest of the round/next round.

My questions for you all as a group:

1. Would you be interested in doing a second challenge when this one ends?
2. Would you be interested in being a "Challenge Mod?" Someone who comes up with challenges for the group, creates challenge threads, and helps people stay motivated.
3. How can I help pick people at the beginning who are actually going to stick with this? First come first serve was kinda crummy (20+ people missed the initial weigh in).
4. Do groups work better, or would people prefer overall rankings, i.e.: 100 Losers where #1 has lost the most weight and #100 has lost the least. Too harsh?
5. What can I do better? (apart from posting the weigh in threads and results faster. I think I've gotten that down pat now).

Things I have learned from this challenge
-By chance, some team threads are WAY active, some are nonexistent.
-On average, excluding the first loss (week 2), we lose about 8 users each week. Of the 8 users we lose each week, 4-6 did not weigh in the week before (so, they're basically MIA for 2 weeks in a row, as opposed to someone who misses 1 weigh in and then later misses another one).
-People don't really post to recipe threads or want to instagram pics of their food.

Replies

• Icoza87
    Icoza87 Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Yes!

2. Would you be interested in being a "Challenge Mod?" Someone who comes up with challenges for the group, creates challenge threads, and helps people stay motivated.

Not personally. I'm not good at that sort of thing, but I do think it's a great idea! Or maybe have each time have a leader or two .. have weekly challenges for the whole group and a scoring system... another way for people to be competitive and say, win the activities challenge for the week (IE: 1 point for every 10 oz of water drank, team with the most points wins?)

3. How can I help pick people at the beginning who are actually going to stick with this? First come first serve was kinda crummy (20+ people missed the initial weigh in).

I'm not really sure there's a way around that, but I don't actually know.

4. Do groups work better, or would people prefer overall rankings, i.e.: 100 Losers where #1 has lost the most weight and #100 has lost the least. Too harsh?

I like groups, personally.

5. What can I do better? (apart from posting the weigh in threads and results faster. I think I've gotten that down pat now).

I don't really have anything for this one. I think you're doing a really great job and i really love that you are genuinely interested in making this a helpful tool for all of us. :flowerforyou:
  • becksxxx70
    becksxxx70 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I think you've done a great job, it's obviously a lot of work getting all the results together, so thank you.

I think on a lot of these challenges, people get very excited at the prospect of them but lose interest maybe due to lack of results or just life getting in the way. Then there are always the ones who follow the thread, post results etc but don't post on the boards so it seems very quiet. Not sure what you can do about that.

For me, I like being in a team although I'm sure my team would like to boot me off as I've gained!!!! I think the timing was all wrong to me, but hey I'm still here!
    I would be up for another after this, maybe make it shorter like 6 weeks and collect members from the initial weigh in rather than from them just posting they want to do it.
    As people drop out you could maybe combine teams to make them a more equal size and give them more members to chat to...........it's only for fun after all. This might get more action on the boards who knows?
    The teams could set themselves little challenges or targets, depends on the team.
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Would definitely do it again. Thanks again for organizing!

I think the idea of selecting from the initial weigh-in makes sense, may want to limit to the first 100 to post their initial weight on first day, after initially expressing interest, and create the teams from that.

It is sometimes hard to remember to weigh in on a specific day because of vacations, life etc., though it is nice that there are 2 opportunities to miss, but it might be nice to have a catch-up day or two (maybe only once or twice) instead of automatically being excluded.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    1. Yes!

2. Eh...I rarely do these.

3. No idea, but the idea to use the first 100 that post their weight as the initial weigh in may help? Eliminate those without friends/profile pics?

4. I like groups. Not a fan of merging the groups together when they get small. It seems it would be easier to win with less people on your team because you only have to worry about your own weight loss vs. the people on your team not losing. Make sense?

5. Not sure...hmmmm Friday (or week day) weigh-in days work for me. I don't really log in over the weekend so much. so maybe that would be my only grow, is to have the weigh-in window Wed-Fri) or something. Just my 2 cents.
  • tcheryl
    tcheryl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    if you're willing to do another challenge, I would definitely be in. groups are good and yes, some are more active than others!! I like talkative team members but that's just me:happy: I agree with the other posts; wish someone would be brave and come
    up with challenges, etc. (but sorry not me):noway:
  • happygirlakers
    happygirlakers Posts: 26 Member
    Options

YES! I was hoping you would continue.

Perhaps

Perhaps grouping together into teams by interests might help, like (vegans, low carb, 100 lbs + to lose, college students, postpartum mommies, religious.)? Maybe then the groups will hit off better since they will have something more than losing weight in common.

I think groups are great. Single competition I don't think would create healthy choices or life style changes.

I like the challenge. I hope you do it again and I am sure there will be more ideas to improve upon it.
  • BreeeRN
    BreeeRN Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You're doing an awesome job, British!!! I'd be interested in another one for sure!

Perhaps we could make one from those of us who are still with it at the end and want to be involved, since we know we are actually going to stay with it (or really try!).

I'd like to see the weigh-in posted by Thursday, if possible! Weekends are terrible during the summer for weddings/holidays/no service ranges/being busy so a weekend weigh-in is tough. Someone mentioned having weigh-ins due by Friday sometime, and I think that's an awesome idea!!!

As for the boards/threads.. I've been way too busy this summer with school and life to really chat on here. I've added some as friends on MFP, and I just basically weigh-in.. Sorry if that makes me sound snobby! I'm just way too busy!

Ps. I don't mind the idea of rankings!

Go Grey team! :)
  • Eava57
    Eava57 Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    First of all, I would like to say a great big THANK YOU! I am amazed at your energy and enthusiasm. I would love to continue another challenge...I know I haven't lost much but I am grateful for not gaining more! I was part of an active thread a few years ago and lost 19lbs. I would LOVE to be part of an active thread. BTW I was in Vegas during the first weigh in and wasn't able to log on...that said, I so appreciate all you have done for us. :heart:
  • BettyandVeronica
    BettyandVeronica Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    First off thank you so much for putting in all the time and effort to run this challenge.

I would certainly welcome the next Comp.I will be the first in the queue lol.Ive lost nearly 10lbs on this challenge so far:)

In order to ascertain who can participate,I'd say the 1st 100 to do the initial weigh in.I'd say open the weigh in every Thursday and shut it down at 12 on Saturday or whichever time you see fit to compile the results.

My preference is for groups as they are more sociable and you get more support from your team.It also encourages you to do better.

Lastly I would add that maybe if the competition was shorter for, example 4 or 5 weeks.It would give people with vacations,exams,weddings etc more drive and ambition.Its easier to stay motivated for 4 weeks and see results than 10.My 2 cents lol.
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options

Yes. I have found this to be very motivating and would like it to continue.

We could start a thread right now just to drum up ideas for future challenges. By the time this challenge ends we'll have quite the list I think. Then running them would be pretty simple. I'd be happy to run one or two. Not that I'd do good at many of them (except the water idea - bring it on! I'm ready to out-drink all of you!).

I'd suggest a two week "qualification round", where only the those who have weighed in both weeks make it into the challenge. Form the groups after the qualification round is over.

Definitely form groups. I like the idea of randomly selected groups. It might make things more competitive, from a group perspective, to try to form the groups based on performance during the qualification round so that the average percentage lost in each group is about the same when we begin the actual competition.

I think you're doing very well. The fact that you're asking these questions just indicates that things are only going to get better. I think that idea of having others help out (with short term challenges and such) is a great idea that will help you carry the load.
  • aNewMiniMe
    aNewMiniMe Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    3.) Request that only folks who have been on MFP for a minimum of 6 months and done and completed at least other challenge sign up. I have found from my own groups that the newbies are the ones to drop out before they even begin. A couple days before the group starts eliminate anyone who has not logged on in more than a day on MPF from the group. Good way to clean things up before starting. Also I like the idea of someone who has set up their profile and has at least one "self" picture. I do use quotes and other pictures but I have pictures of myself in there too.

4.) I like the idea of groups. I know it's a random draw but that is how I make new friends. I figure that if I come away with one new friend from a group I have done well.

3. No idea, but the idea to use the first 100 that post their weight as the initial weigh in may help? Eliminate those without friends/profile pics?

4. I like groups. Not a fan of merging the groups together when they get small. It seems it would be easier to win with less people on your team because you only have to worry about your own weight loss vs. the people on your team not losing. Make sense?
  • Jim1960
    Jim1960 Posts: 194
    Options
    Also I like the idea of someone who has set up their profile and has at least one "self" picture.

I have to disagree with this; or at least this would disqualify me. I don't have a self picture and don't plan to have one. Possibly forever. I don't think this is indicative of how active you will be; as my case shows.
  • runner115
    runner115 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm with Jim1960 - no photos please! But I would abslutely be up for another round and I think you have done a great job as moderator.

It did see like sign-ups were quite awhile before the competition actually began...I think less people would drop off if it started soon after the group begins...and hopefully the die-hards in this group will continue...but I think there will always be some who sign up and don't continue...

I think groups are fun but i'm okay with individual too...for groups maybe start out with groups of 10 but reform regularly so that there is never a group with less than 5 members?
  • hismogwai
    hismogwai Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really want to do it again! It's a great group ????, challenges are a good idea also but I can't volunteer for that right now and I have no idea how to choose people who will stick it out but I think you should give first dibs to the people who stuck these 10 weeks out
  • hismogwai
    hismogwai Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Also I like the idea of someone who has set up their profile and has at least one "self" picture.

I have to disagree with this; or at least this would disqualify me. I don't have a self picture and don't plan to have one. Possibly forever. I don't think this is indicative of how active you will be; as my case shows.

I disagree too some people don't want their pictures online for numerous reasons
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I have decided that I will not be creating a second Biggest Loser challenge. Anyone here is more than welcome to continue the tradition/use anything from this group.